What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
If the club is planning on making a play for Fifita it would explain the lack of signings so far, perhaps they have been hoarding cash to pay Fifita?

My concern is obvious. Is Griffin the right coach to get the best out of Fifita? Me thinks no, Holbrook hasn’t been able to.

Tevita Pangai Jr, Payne Haas, and David Fifita - that's three forwards from the Bronco's of 2020, all of whom were going to be the next big thing, and none of whom have really kicked on.

I doubt Griffin could get the best out of Fifita, but I'm more concerned with having an overpaid forward in the side who doesn't do enough of the hard work. It just disrupts team harmony.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Tevita Pangai Jr, Payne Haas, and David Fifita - that's three forwards from the Bronco's of 2020, all of whom were going to be the next big thing, and none of whom have really kicked on.

I doubt Griffin could get the best out of Fifita, but I'm more concerned with having an overpaid forward in the side who doesn't do enough of the hard work. It just disrupts team harmony.
It does have a Cory Norman smell about it.

It does have a Cory Norman smell about it.
Yes - the smell of his fingers, because it's a $hit idea. Gold Coast gets more value from Brett Fermor than Fifita. For the 15 minutes a game that he is on, he's an unstoppable force. The rest of the time, he's an immovable object. Where are we finding this money from, anyway? It's all talk and I'll believe it when I see it.

A more credible story I've read is that we're talking to Zane Musgrove - which makes a lot more sense. He's from another club that is accustomed to being in the bottom half of the table and he's a numb-nut who spends more time in court than a QC. Fits us like a glove. Corey Norman's glove.

Last edited:

jeffdragon

Bench
Yes - the smell of his fingers, because it's a $hit idea. Gold Coast gets more value from Brett Fermor than Fifita. For the 15 minutes a game that he is on, he's an unstoppable force. The rest of the time, he's an immovable object. Where are we finding this money from, anyway? It's all talk and I'll believe it when I see it.

A more credible story I've read is that we're talking to Zane Musgrove - which makes a lot more sense. He's from another club that is accustomed to being in the bottom half of the table and he's a numb-nut who spends more time in court than a QC. Fits us like a glove. Corey Norman's glove.
Fermor would be a great signing but he comiited to the Titans.

Dragon David

First Grade
A decent coach may tho. Spoilt by the big coin. His ability is still there just has lay dormant since his Junior Kangaroo days. Only needs the correct approach to return it to the surface.
He might need a coach like Todd Payten to be a better and fitter player. NRL360 reported that Payten not signed for 2023 at the Cowboys. Can we speculate anything from this?

blacksafake

First Grade

True, although in those 15 minutes the game will likely be won.

He might need a coach like Todd Payten to be a better and fitter player. NRL360 reported that Payten not signed for 2023 at the Cowboys. Can we speculate anything from this?

@Dragon David. No😁

Last edited:

possm

Coach
A decent coach may tho. Spoilt by the big coin. His ability is still there just has lay dormant since his Junior Kangaroo days. Only needs the correct approach to return it to the surface.
David Fifita is just the edge player we need. If, along with our other squad members, he can be very fit for season 2023, I think you'll find he will be a game changer for us. I'm thinking 60 min per game rather than 15 min per game.

With a big mobile pack, Sullivan and Amone will gain the confidence to carve them up big time.

Dragon David

First Grade
Nuh. Cowboys aren't stupid. They'll have Payten signed up as soon as the season's over. I doubt our club management even know where Townsville is.
Wrong
He is signed for 23 and about to extend to 26
Sorry guys. I should have done a bit more checking than rely on some other source.

getsmarty

Immortal
‘JUST WAIT TWELVE MONTHS’

It’s interesting St George Illawarra chairman Craig Young has taken a much greater hands on role in the space of recruitment and retention for the Dragons.

Young has become heavily involved around the Red V negotiations with captain Ben Hunt and out-of-favour fullback Tyrell Sloan in the last fortnight.

Both players have held meetings with the retired champion forward who is now seen as the figurehead of the Dragons in a bid to resolve their futures.

Sloan certainly hasn’t held back about his opinion on being left out of the NRL side in meetings with Young and also coach Anthony Griffin.

St George Illawarra remain adamant they won’t be releasing Sloan and have asked the local junior to be patient in terms of his development as a player.

We’ve been told the Dragons told Sloan: “Just wait 12 months”.

Read into that what you will but it’s no secret coach Griffin needs a fast start to next season to ensure his own job security.

Sloan is signed with the Dragons until the end of 2025 and has strong support at the Red V as being a huge part of the future of the club.

The St George Illawarra extension for Hunt appears to be on target with the only hitch being whether they include a clause in the contract surrounding Dragons coach Anthony Griffin.

The question has been asked from the Hunt camp but it’s unlikely St George Illawarra will want to go down that road.

Hunt is Griffin’s staunchest ally and it’s all tracking towards the Dragons halfback signing a two-year extension with St George Illawarra for 2024 and 2025.

By that stage Hunt will be turning 35 in March in the final year of the deal.

In fairness, given Hunt’s level of professionalism there’s no reason the champion halfback couldn’t kick on even longer.

The move to get Young more hands on is a smart play from the Dragons.

The champion prop bleeds red and white after winning premierships with the Dragons in 1977 and 1979 and will always put the best interests of the club first.

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS FRONTRUNNERS AS HUNT CALL LOOMS

A decision from Ben Hunt on his future is likely imminent with the Dragons “in the box seat” to keep him.

The 32-year-old is off-contract at the end of next season and can sign with rival clubs from November 1. The Queensland star said earlier this month he wants to make a call sooner rather than later and Paul Crawley revealed on NRL 360 he would hold key talks this weekend.

“The PM’s (XIII) game is up in Brisbane and he will probably catch up with his manager Col Davis up there and they’ll have a conversation,” Crawley said.

“I understand it the Dragons are probably in the box seat, the Titans are another club that has been mentioned and the Bulldogs he might have had a meeting with them too.”

Maddragon99

Juniors

It’s interesting St George Illawarra chairman Craig Young has taken a much greater hands on role in the space of recruitment and retention for the Dragons.

Young has become heavily involved around the Red V negotiations with captain Ben Hunt and out-of-favour fullback Tyrell Sloan in the last fortnight.

Both players have held meetings with the retired champion forward who is now seen as the figurehead of the Dragons in a bid to resolve their futures.

Sloan certainly hasn’t held back about his opinion on being left out of the NRL side in meetings with Young and also coach Anthony Griffin.

St George Illawarra remain adamant they won’t be releasing Sloan and have asked the local junior to be patient in terms of his development as a player.

Read into that what you will but it’s no secret coach Griffin needs a fast start to next season to ensure his own job security.

Sloan is signed with the Dragons until the end of 2025 and has strong support at the Red V as being a huge part of the future of the club.

The St George Illawarra extension for Hunt appears to be on target with the only hitch being whether they include a clause in the contract surrounding Dragons coach Anthony Griffin.

The question has been asked from the Hunt camp but it’s unlikely St George Illawarra will want to go down that road.

Hunt is Griffin’s staunchest ally and it’s all tracking towards the Dragons halfback signing a two-year extension with St George Illawarra for 2024 and 2025.

In fairness, given Hunt’s level of professionalism there’s no reason the champion halfback couldn’t kick on even longer.

The champion prop bleeds red and white after winning premierships with the Dragons in 1977 and 1979 and will always put the best interests of the club first.
Great post 😀

I don’t think Sloan is going anywhere either, for mine Tyrell is more valuable than Jason Saab who was granted a release.

As for Hunt, I get he’s capable of playing on but he’s no Cooper Cronk either. I think that money could be better spent from ‘24 onwards.

Mjab

Juniors

Absolute disaster if fat Albert is involved
didn’t have a role like this a few years ago and make an utter arse of it

Latest posts