What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

possm

Coach
I really don't know who is doing the recruiting at the Dragons but whoever it is should be sacked; they really don't have a clue.

The old rule of buying the best players to implement your 17 and then backfilling with juniors and some recruits with potential seems to have gone out the window. Replacing players with 'like for like or better', seems to be a thing of the past at the Dragons. The prime example is the replacement of Sims. An 800k p/a SOO standard player with?

I say, our current first priority is to replace Sims with a top left edge forward. Then consider seriously running Hunt in the hooker rotation with a junior who the Dragons consider having the potential to be our hooker after Hunt's current contract ends.

For the past few years, maybe even longer, the Dragons have gone into the new season with next to no chance of wining the premiership. Coaching staff, recruitment and pathways development have played a big part in this. A prime example was letting Robson go in order to show loyalty to captain McInnes when all that was needed was to put Robson in the hooker rotation with Mcinnes. Dumb decisions like this, plus the lack of vision by our recruitment people, have led to the Dragons squad being less able to compete with the top 8 clubs.

We do have some very talented juniors coming through however, we need a professional to set expectations, identify skill levels, and work with them to sort out skill deficiencies. Let the know that once they upgrade their skills in the identified areas, they are the first cab off the rank to grab a vacant first-grade spot. Also, give them confidence in the knowledge that the club has made arrangements to have them coached to the level that is needed to make the first grade.

Power brokers such as Craig Young and Peter Doust should have dedicated their efforts to arrange for mentors and personal coaches to be made available to support the juniors identified to progress to first grade.

Development costs, including personal coaches, training equipment, and mentor fees, do not come under the salary cap. WIN Corp/Gordons and St George Leagues Club have the coin however, there is no one at the club championing the idea of spending money in this area.

In addition, no outside entity has picked up the responsibility of arranging TPA for the recruitment or retention of players targeted by the Dragons. With the St George brand name, this should be an easy thing to do.

I say to the new Board members, if you want to really make a difference, take note of the above and make it a priority. Let others worry about your pay rise and how many Crownies are available at the next Board meeting.

possm

Coach
And so, why didn't Griffin tap both Macca and Woods on the shoulder at season's end, giving the Dragons time and extra cap to sign Robson?

With the Dragons, it always seems to be, buy a cheapy, and hope/pray he improves. When it should be set up the best possible 17 and then backfill with promising juniors and promising recruits.

BLM01

First Grade
BLM01,
i hear what your saying so lets say he takes Goewskis spot ... Then its upto our coaching staff to improve his game and then to see if he warrants a top 30 spot ... probably the way to go instead of straight out contract
Sure i will give anyone a go. But to actually look at him is my worry, especially he could not show enough work ethic, fitness or whatever to impress in a pre-season at 2 seperate NRL clubs in very recent times. JG got through many pre-seasons and had contracts. Not a like for like replacement to even consider in my view. Hope I am wrong again

BLM01

First Grade
I really don't know who is doing the recruiting at the Dragons but whoever it is should be sacked; they really don't have a clue.

The old rule of buying the best players to implement your 17 and then backfilling with juniors and some recruits with potential seems to have gone out the window. Replacing players with 'like for like or better', seems to be a thing of the past at the Dragons. The prime example is the replacement of Sims. An 800k p/a SOO standard player with?

I say, our current first priority is to replace Sims with a top left edge forward. Then consider seriously running Hunt in the hooker rotation with a junior who the Dragons consider having the potential to be our hooker after Hunt's current contract ends.

For the past few years, maybe even longer, the Dragons have gone into the new season with next to no chance of wining the premiership. Coaching staff, recruitment and pathways development have played a big part in this. A prime example was letting Robson go in order to show loyalty to captain McInnes when all that was needed was to put Robson in the hooker rotation with Mcinnes. Dumb decisions like this, plus the lack of vision by our recruitment people, have led to the Dragons squad being less able to compete with the top 8 clubs.

We do have some very talented juniors coming through however, we need a professional to set expectations, identify skill levels, and work with them to sort out skill deficiencies. Let the know that once they upgrade their skills in the identified areas, they are the first cab off the rank to grab a vacant first-grade spot. Also, give them confidence in the knowledge that the club has made arrangements to have them coached to the level that is needed to make the first grade.

Power brokers such as Craig Young and Peter Doust should have dedicated their efforts to arrange for mentors and personal coaches to be made available to support the juniors identified to progress to first grade.

Development costs, including personal coaches, training equipment, and mentor fees, do not come under the salary cap. WIN Corp/Gordons and St George Leagues Club have the coin however, there is no one at the club championing the idea of spending money in this area.

In addition, no outside entity has picked up the responsibility of arranging TPA for the recruitment or retention of players targeted by the Dragons. With the St George brand name, this should be an easy thing to do.

I say to the new Board members, if you want to really make a difference, take note of the above and make it a priority. Let others worry about your pay rise and how many Crownies are available at the next Board meeting.
Things were better when Millward Mess was in charge.

BLM01

First Grade
And so, why didn't Griffin tap both Macca and Woods on the shoulder at season's end, giving the Dragons time and extra cap to sign Robson?

With the Dragons, it always seems to be, buy a cheapy, and hope/pray he improves. When it should be set up the best possible 17 and then backfill with promising juniors and promising recruits.
Because Robson did not come on to the market until after he signed his extension with the Cowboys.
Who is to say that they were both not told you wont get a start in 1sts next year and were tapped.

Parko1310

Juniors
Sure i will give anyone a go. But to actually look at him is my worry, especially he could not show enough work ethic, fitness or whatever to impress in a pre-season at 2 seperate NRL clubs in very recent times. JG got through many pre-seasons and had contracts. Not a like for like replacement to even consider in my view. Hope I am wrong again
I really don't like the idea. Another q cup player who can't get a gig anywhere else. He's no better than the likes of Billy Burns, who isn't very good, but my god we don't need another one of them. Top 40 for ineffective tackles in q cup this year, and he's 26 so he isn't getting a whole heap better in that department. He can have a train and trial, but I really hope they aren't going to waste a top 30 spot on him.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We were a bees 'd' away from re-signing Robson. But that was extinguished when Hunt re-signed. Hence why Liddle was only a 1yr deal.
With that falling through, It left us basically in the lurch, particularly now AM has put the queue in the rack.

As far as 'like for like', I don't really believe this exists in today's football environment. Contracts are structured in so many different ways with so many different conditions attached, that just paper $$ is just rumor and guesswork. Sims is a good example: he may well have been on $800k, however, 3 other players may have revolving increases that eat into that significantly. I thing the terminology used these days is 'ratchet' clause.
There are not very many 'standard' contracts issued in the NRL anymore.

We still need to announce around 4 players to get to the required 29, saving 1 space, if necessary for later. I think 1 will be a reasonably good one that may well he still in the WC (not referring to the you know what 😏). So we wait and see.

Phantom V

Juniors
Mbye is a utility not a starting dummy half, Mbye’s job is to fill gaps as required. I’d like to see how Liddle goes in the trails before I form an opinion of him. He might surprise us.

I’m not a fan of Sullivan at dummy half, I don’t think his defence is up to it & the poor kid will get bashed.
Agree 100%. Nowhere to hide playing hooker if you’re defence isn’t up to scratch. I think at this stage he would be best utilised as an impact player against a tiring defence.

Crush

Coach
Agree 100%. Nowhere to hide playing hooker if you’re defence isn’t up to scratch. I think at this stage he would be best utilised as an impact player against a tiring defence.
Or, maybe we could get the current Australian starting hooker to play hooker and we could play Bud at 7 in his preferred position?
I reckon that would be the best way to use him.
And we might win more games too, which would be an added bonus.

possm

Coach
Is Taupau the big one, still OS?

I'm hoping Friz went to watch the footy.

Now that Macca has pulled the plug, Bud on the bench, Liddel to be given first shot.
I'd say Sullivan will play 14, Mbye 9, and Hunt 7 in the opening rounds of 2023.

Our biggest hole is 11 on the left edge where Sims used to play. Hopefully, we have a plan to recruit a marquee player for that position.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Or, maybe we could get the current Australian starting hooker to play hooker and we could play Bud at 7 in his preferred position?
Sorry buddy, me again. Starting Australian hooker?

He didn't even play the last match and Grant has started more times at dummy half so far in this world cup than Hunt has.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Who’s starting at hooker for the upcoming semi final?
Hunt.
As you were.
He's been named there but I haven't seen the team running out yet have you?

Not sure if you need a lesson on what current means but something can't be current if it hasn't happened yet pal.