What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I can understand why good players would play for less to be coached by Robbo. He is definitely one of the best coaches going around at the moment. Cheese who has already won a comp at the Storm will move from a dull state to a state that loves the game will also be another thing for him to get excited about. That happens in soccer where guys are sacrificing a lot more than 100k to move if a good coach is interested because they know their game will improve and their experience will be amazing to be coached by one of the best coaches. I am a Liverpool fan and have seen a lot of quality players join or stay for peanuts because of the coach. If only my NRL side had the same mentality as Liverpool.

Trifili13

Juniors
I can understand why good players would play for less to be coached by Robbo. He is definitely one of the best coaches going around at the moment. Cheese who has already won a comp at the Storm will move from a dull state to a state that loves the game will also be another thing for him to get excited about. That happens in soccer where guys are sacrificing a lot more than 100k to move if a good coach is interested because they know their game will improve and their experience will be amazing to be coached by one of the best coaches. I am a Liverpool fan and have seen a lot of quality players join or stay for peanuts because of the coach. If only my NRL side had the same mentality as Liverpool.
Big difference is the money we are talking about. If you are playing for one of the top or even mid tier teams in the EPL you would be on 50k+ per week (with the better players on well over 100k+ per week) so for them to give up even 300 or 400k per annum when you are on 2m+ is a big difference when you are on less than 1m in the ARL and are reported to accept a 20% shortfall on what you can earn at another club just so you can experience being coached by Robbo and take in the culture at the Roosters. I would have thought being coached by Bellamy and Bennett and getting paid more than what the Rooster's are paying you is more of a drawcard. Or maybe the golf courses in the eastern suburbs are better than those in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Living in Bondi can't be too bad. Surely better than most places in Australia? Some of the guys I mention coming to Liverpool are coming from the best teams in Europe not 2nd division. A guy gave up a guarantee of winning trophies in Germany every year to play for Liverpool when every big club in the world were after him and he chose Liverpool because of their coach.

Bennett had the same effect when at the Dragons as they got Boyd, Costigan, Jeremy Smith, Priddis etc. They were paying under's for them at the time for sure. Geez what a team that was in 2009 - 2011....

Living in Bondi can't be too bad. Surely better than most places in Australia? Some of the guys I mention coming to Liverpool are coming from the best teams in Europe not 2nd division. A guy gave up a guarantee of winning trophies in Germany every year to play for Liverpool when every big club in the world were after him and he chose Liverpool because of their coach.

Bennett had the same effect when at the Dragons as they got Boyd, Costigan, Jeremy Smith, Priddis etc. They were paying under's for them at the time for sure. Geez what a team that was in 2009 - 2011....
Gasnier, B Mozz, Sailor, Creagh, Cooper, Poore, Weyman.. yep a great team.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Article on Foxsports yesterday that the Cheese took $100k per season less at the Roosters than the Storm and $200k less a season than what the Dolphins were offering. So how does a lower ranked club attract the better talent when the better talent is happy to get $600k less over 3 years (about $350k net after you take tax out)? Now some players would have taken the money, especially if they have already won a premiership like the Cheese has, but this just shows you how a lower club has to bend their salary cap to attract top talent and hope it works out (Dragon's and Hunt), while the Roosters have $100k to $200k extra a year to upgrade/retain a player or buy another player of quality. And then multiply that by 4 or 5 players taking "unders" and suddenly the Rooster's (and other top sides) have $500k+ extra to spend a season than a lower team which already has worse players and can't attract better players unless they offer ridiculous money.
I don't believe players take significantly less when signing contracts. In my opinion they are compensated through TPA or in other ways that the NRL are not policing or just doesn't care.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Article on Foxsports yesterday that the Cheese took $100k per season less at the Roosters than the Storm and $200k less a season than what the Dolphins were offering. So how does a lower ranked club attract the better talent when the better talent is happy to get $600k less over 3 years (about $350k net after you take tax out)? Now some players would have taken the money, especially if they have already won a premiership like the Cheese has, but this just shows you how a lower club has to bend their salary cap to attract top talent and hope it works out (Dragon's and Hunt), while the Roosters have $100k to $200k extra a year to upgrade/retain a player or buy another player of quality. And then multiply that by 4 or 5 players taking "unders" and suddenly the Rooster's (and other top sides) have $500k+ extra to spend a season than a lower team which already has worse players and can't attract better players unless they offer ridiculous money.

I'd be checking out any brand new car that suddenly appears in his driveway. We'll never know nor find out the truth and they know it!

Dragons4me

Juniors
I don't believe players take significantly less when signing contracts. In my opinion they are compensated through TPA or in other ways that the NRL are not policing or just doesn't care.
The NRL aren't exactly going to bite the hand that feeds them with their multi millionaire backers. We'll never find out and they know it.

possm

Coach
My solution has always been to have the NRL pay the players direct (player contract with the NRL) and then a 'rental cap' be given to each Club to be used in a player draft.

When contracts are due to expire within 12 months, the current Club has until the end of 12 months to 'renew the rental' and if this is not done, the player goes into a draft process with set rental prices being offered to the wooden spoon Club and then to other clubs in ascending order.

there is no restraint of trade mainly because the player contract is owned by the NRL (who owns the competition) and the rent price is between Clubs and the NRL.

All TPA MUST be arranged by the player agent and then paid to the NRL who will include it in the players' contract and apply to the player no matter which club he plays for.

possm

Coach
It would be nice though to start 2023 w this pack - won’t happen but would be nice..
LENIU
HUNT (c)
MOLO
FIFITA
SUA
JDB
No problems with the Leniu recruitment.
Hunt has said he will not play hooker.
No problems with Molo being on the run-on side.
Fifita is a must now that we have lost Sims.
In my opinion, JDB should be in the prop rotation. Our stocks are very limited with the likes of Burgess and Woods on the books.
We have extended Bird a good money so, right now lock would be his best fit for the team.

possm

Coach
Impossible to police - so many ways he can get the additional monies ..
I'd say that is a step in the right direction as the NRL would be responsible for payments to players. Any finger-pointing with regards to cheating the player payment rules would be directed at the NRL itself.

This would definitely be a step in the right direction and a way forward to evening up the NRL competition. NRL audits of player income could also be a deterrent for those who want to cheat the system. But it is important to note that Clubs would play no part in player payments. The system would only allow the NRL itself to contract and pay players.

I suppose there will always be an effort by some (Clubs, player managers, or players) to cheat the system so, very heavy penalties should underpin rules relating to player payments. That is heavy fines, loss of competition points, and possible suspension or in the case of Clubs, possible loss of their NRL licence.

Reactions: Qdf