What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
With all due respect to Mr Paul Smith, that sounds like a cop-out.
If you're so full of expertise, mate, put your money where your mouth is (Like everyone on this forum would do, if they had the chance) put out the "dumpster fire" and give the place some direction.
That's what a real lifelong Dragons supporter would do - not declare us untouchable and w@nk on about how he "dodged a bullet".
What a turd.
How is he a turd? He offered big money for a share in the club and it was turned down in favour of a smaller one from WIN. Sour grapes maybe, but Paul Smith isn't the turd in this scenario.

Illusion

Bench
It’s the supporters that’ll pay the price for this with another decade of mediocrity if we lose Sullivan.

From all the media I’ve read it’s all about Ben Hunt not what’s best for the team.

Only a coach with the stature of Hasler would have balls to shift Hunt to dummy half regardless of how much he sooks.
Bring it on ......

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
In my book, throwing down his toys and having a whinge to the press cos he didn't get what he wanted makes him a turd.
Have it your way, but he's not a turd in my book. The press approached him and he gave them an honest response. He was prepared at one time to put his own money in to buy a stake in StGI, it was more than WIN offered at the time, and for some reason his offer was knocked back, so he's no longer interested. The question as to why a better offer was knocked back by the club has never been satisfactorily answered.

Gareth67

First Grade
With all due respect to Mr Paul Smith, that sounds like a cop-out.
If you're so full of expertise, mate, put your money where your mouth is (Like everyone on this forum would do, if they had the chance) put out the "dumpster fire" and give the place some direction.
That's what a real lifelong Dragons supporter would do - not declare us untouchable and w@nk on about how he "dodged a bullet".
What a turd.
Barry the man actually done just what you are suggesting , in fact to the tune of $11.5 million big dollars , but for some unknown reason the then board knocked his offer back and accepted the Gordon’s lousy $6 million offer .

So he at did at least attempt to do right thing by the team he supported . As we now realize that very same board is still in place continuing to making some extremely bad decisions .

Gareth67

First Grade
Have it your way, but he's not a turd in my book. The press approached him and he gave them an honest response. He was prepared at one time to put his own money in to buy a stake in StGI, it was more than WIN offered at the time, and for some reason his offer was knocked back, so he's no longer interested. The question as to why a better offer was knocked back by the club has never been satisfactorily answered.
Apologies Big John , I never saw your post before I sent in mine .

Yow

Juniors
Well said @Gareth67 . The sad part is I am not that fussed... since Mr Bennett left the building, the club has offered up nothing but a faulty product and add to that, prior to Mr Bennett arriving we had not won anything in 32 years !
1 premiership in 42 years and counting...If you ran a public company in this manner it would go broke. Those stats alone paint a bleak picture....I will leave the last say to Mr Smith.

“That’s a mess”: Kings owner not interested in buying Dragons​

By Dominic Criniti 3 months ago

GettyImages-1402116433.jpg

• Sydney Kings Owner and Wollongong local Paul Smith has brushed off the suggestion of buying the St George Illawarra Dragons.
    Smith, who is a lifelong Dragons fan has claimed the club has no clarity on its future or on a long-term plan.

While he wants the “best for the club”, Smith won’t entertain a takeover bid.
    “That’s a mess, that’s a train wreck and a dumpster fire all rolled into one, I love that the notion of the club and what it represents, I only want the best for them,” Smith said on SEN 1170 Afternoons.
    “They’ve got to form a long-term plan and articulate that, I don’t give advice normally but if you asked me I’d share that, what lacks there is a clarity about a future and vision.
    “You’ve got to eliminate that short-term planning and you’re seeing a bit of that with the Wests Tigers, they’ve got a five-year plan with their coaching, it may be wrong but at least they’ve got a plan.
    “I think that’s what these clubs in the doldrum need to do, they need to step back and do a bit of the old 76ers process, they’re gonna (use ‘going to’ even if he said ‘gonna’) have to go through some pain to get where they want to be.”
    Smith has previously expressed interest in owning the Dragons and famously had an $11.5 million dollar bid turned down for a 50 per cent stake in the club.
    After being questioned by Jimmy Smith if he had any interest in reviving his interest to buy the club, Smith claimed he dodged a bullet.
    “I think I’ve dogged three bullets there, that’s the full chamber and that’s a problem… I’m always open to conversations but we’ve got a lot on our hands right with the Kings and Sydney Flames,” he said.
    Smith’s focus will remain with the Kings and Flames as the men’s NBL side look to win back-to-back championships next season.

If this bloke loves the club why doesnt he help out with some 3rd party deals.

Barry the man actually done just what you are suggesting , in fact to the tune of $11.5 million big dollars , but for some unknown reason the then board knocked his offer back and accepted the Gordon’s lousy $6 million offer .

So he at did at least attempt to do right thing by the team he supported . As we now realize that very same board is still in place continuing to making some extremely bad decisions .
WIN paid $10 million (the only dollar figure I could find online, though the actual amount was undisclosed), from which the club paid out the $6 million loan to the NRL.

Plus Smith has also claimed that he wanted to turn the club into " the club into the "New York Yankees of Australia sport." It could be argued that we already are - a once successful club with a proud history, who haven't won a comp since 2010. (Or 2009 for the Yankees.)

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
I didn’t realise until I read it but the only player to debut in 2022 was Michael Molo. I’m not sure Griffin’s reputation of bringing on youth is entirely justified.

Also with Sloan sooking he’d better keep an eye over his shoulder Trey Stewart had a strong season in NSW Cup

Gareth67

First Grade
WIN paid $10 million (the only dollar figure I could find online, though the actual amount was undisclosed), from which the club paid out the $6 million loan to the NRL.

Plus Smith has also claimed that he wanted to turn the club into " the club into the "New York Yankees of Australia sport." It could be argued that we already are - a once successful club with a proud history, who haven't won a comp since 2010. (Or 2009 for the Yankees.)
I had not realise that was the amount paid by the Gordons as the only figure that I heard of was the $6mil.

Nevertheless $11.5 was the larger amount yet it still wasn’t accepted by the powers to be . I can only imagine that they ( our board ) believed that the WIN Corporation would do more for the club , perhaps more so considering that it was based in the Wollongong area .

One thing is certain though Bazza and that is it has been a long season for the Big Red V and their supporters . I most sincerely hope that the coaches , players and more importantly the board itself , can get their act together and give us all something to cheer about in season 2023 .

Last edited:

itsme

Juniors
Thank you @Gareth67 .

Unfortunately the club and the way the game is run has got me to a point where I just don't care that much anymore. The club is on a downward spiral....

The game in general is no longer the spectacle it used to be.
What an embarrassing finals series....if that's the product the NRL want to push, they can keep it.
Unfortunately....you are spot on.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I had not realise that was the amount paid by the Gordons as the only figure that I heard of was the $6mil.

Nevertheless $11.5 was the larger amount yet it still wasn’t accepted by the powers to be . I can only imagine that they ( our board ) believed that the WIN Corporation would do more for the club , perhaps more so considering that it was based in the Wollongong area .

One thing is certain though Bazza and that is it has been a long season for the Big Red V and their supporters . I most sincerely hope that the coaches , players and more importantly the board itself , can get their act together and give us all something to cheer about in season 2023 .
Not 100% sure but i think the Gordon's paid $6m "cash" and the rest was "advertisment" on their network something like that, make it sounds great but actual fact dodgy deal in most people eye's, lets not kid ourselves our whole Board set up is dodgy, same people for decades involved just shuffling positions

Gareth67

First Grade
Not 100% sure but i think the Gordon's paid $6m "cash" and the rest was "advertisment" on their network something like that, make it sounds great but actual fact dodgy deal in most people eye's, lets not kid ourselves our whole Board set up is dodgy, same people for decades involved just shuffling positions
Well perhaps the WIN is indeed spending part of the other 4 mill. on advertising , as I live down in Tumut near the Snowy Mountains and we do occasionally get an ad appearing on the tele. showing the Dragons .

The rest of the dough is spent on car commercials and a number of them on how farmer McDonald raises his damn cows as that is all we get from WIN .

Other than that they advertise the local pubs , would you believe there are 6 watering holes here in town and not one single set of traffic lights . We certainly have the best of both worlds here . ☺️

blacksafake

First Grade
Well perhaps the WIN is indeed spending part of the other 4 mill. on advertising , as I live down in Tumut near the Snowy Mountains and we do occasionally get an ad appearing on the tele. showing the Dragons .

The rest of the dough is spent on car commercials and a number of them on how farmer McDonald raises his damn cows as that is all we get from WIN .

Other than that they advertise the local pubs , would you believe there are 6 watering holes here in town and not one single set of traffic lights . We certainly have the best of both worlds here . ☺️
Any player from the club in any of the commercials @Gareth67

since77

Juniors
Jonathan Reuben debuted. Not young but he did debut.
Another typical Griffin purchase. Yes it was a nice story but this is why the young talent in our squad are despairing that they’re going to get a jersey under Griffin. The oldest player to debut in the NRL if I’m not mistaken. Frankly I’m surprised Griffin didn’t consider running himself out as captain / coach this year - he’s in the right age group to play for us at the moment…..

denis preston

First Grade
Another typical Griffin purchase. Yes it was a nice story but this is why the young talent in our squad are despairing that they’re going to get a jersey under Griffin. The oldest player to debut in the NRL if I’m not mistaken. Frankly I’m surprised Griffin didn’t consider running himself out as captain / coach this year - he’s in the right age group to play for us at the moment…..
Reuben was a strange one. At the trials he looked real fast. I was at the game he made his NRL debut in Townsville , he took an intercept on his line and I thought "here we go "! , he didn't even make it to the Cowboys 25 metre line.

mickeylane

Bench

I do believe it was a lost opportunity w Smith...i actually believe that he may get a 2nd go soon...i just think he needs to throw a number out there closer to $20M and include the guarantee of building a centre of excellence in the area and a guarantee working capital of $10M ...guys like Smith dont go away...they just find different ways to get in...if he does the above and hgoes straight to the media w his plans he shows up the current mob who are just going through the motions...