What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Wembley

Calixte

First Grade
There must surely be a growing sense of anticipation regarding the return of the oldest rugby league competition in the world, the RFL Challenge Cup, to the new Wembley on 26 August next year.

This truly great ground, England's national stadium and host of many famous rugby league matches, will have a revised capacity of around 90,000.

It will almost certainly be bursting at the seams next year for the Final.

Who are the early favourites for the title? And is there any downside to a return to London given the superb hosting role of Cardiff over the last two years?

jed

First Grade
At what point will it be confirmed that Wembley will be ready? I'll be coming over for this game, don't want to pay for accomodation and flights down to London if the game's being returned to Cardiff again.

elBandido

Juniors
jed said:
At what point will it be confirmed that Wembley will be ready? I'll be coming over for this game, don't want to pay for accomodation and flights down to London if the game's being returned to Cardiff again.

It will be ready there is a chance the FA cup final in May might have to be moved but the Challenge Cup isn't til the end of August.

jed

First Grade
elBandido said:
It will be ready there is a chance the FA cup final in May might have to be moved but the Challenge Cup isn't til the end of August.
Thanks el B, I'll start booking flights in a few weeks, as soon as my holiday application's approved :p

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I received a leaflet from the RFL today advertising the Challenge Cup Final. It was black with the words "Back in our hands" across it, with details about how to buy tickets for the game.

I think Saints and Wigan is the only suitable final to christen the new ground. None of the boring Yorkshire filth will be good enough this season. A proper derby, not a small airport, is the way to fill it me thinks.

bartman

Immortal
They must be pretty confident it will be ready for the August game, even if the FA are nervous about theirs. Just waiting on getting my visa (hopefully) extended before booking any tickets.

Who''l be in the final? Who knows... St Helens squad looks good on paper, will be interesting to see how Les Catalans go, and Hull showed this season they had the tactics.

jed

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
None of the boring Yorkshire filth will be good enough this season. A proper derby, not a small airport, is the way to fill it me thinks.
Oi! Lay off the Yorkshire folk :p :lol:

terracesider

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
I think Saints and Wigan is the only suitable final to christen the new ground. None of the boring Yorkshire filth will be good enough this season. A proper derby, not a small airport, is the way to fill it me thinks.

Er, the last such final was the worst in decades As turgid as a Lancashire diet. :lol:

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
terracesider said:
Er, the last such final was the worst in decades As turgid as a Lancashire diet. :lol:

No way. It was filled with pieces of dramatic brilliance. The pressurising of Lam then Radlinski by Hooper which opened the door for the first Saints try. The dubious decision to deny Farrell on half time, Long's mecurial chip for Talau's try. Far better than any of the more Yorkshire orientated finals. Apart from maybe last seasons which was great fun to watch as Leeds were knocked off their perch.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I must admit,even though I'm a Yorkshire boy I always find Wigan and Saints more entertaining than any other derby.Not as much skill involved as Leeds Bradford but much more pride at stake.

RLdan

Juniors
it looks great but there is no way that a rugby match will be the first there which is a shame. they will probably play an england game if it's not ready for the FA cup.

obelix

Juniors
RLdan said:
it looks great but there is no way that a rugby match will be the first there which is a shame. they will probably play an england game if it's not ready for the FA cup.

Doubt it - the FA cup final is being played earlier than normal next year to conclude the domestic soccer season 4 weeks before the world cup. They'll need to be more certain about the ground arrangements for any pre-World Cup games England are to play and wouldn't risk the press backlash if they moved them about just to get a game played at Wembley.

I think the situation regarding the use of Wembley is this:

• There needs to be a "smaller" game as the first official game because they aren't allowed to fill the ground to capacity. I heard a rumour that the first game would in fact be the FA Vase, which is currently scheduled for the week before the Cup final but which is more easily moved as it features "non-league" (i.e. amateur) sides - the final usually attracts an attendance of about 10,000 people
  • They can't move the FA cup final back because of the agreed 4 week break so they've got a contingency plan to play it in Cardiff
  • The Challenge Cup final is due at the end of August. If Wembley misses the May deadline, there is another game of football due before then anyway - the FA Community Shield between the premiership winners and the FA Cup winners is played in early August.
I'm not really too bothered about Rugby not being the first game there - the fact that the CC will be one of the first big events held there will be enough to guarantee increased publicity anyway.

Latest posts