What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New World Club Challenge?

deluded pom?

Coach
That's the problem I find with soccer's "Champions League" It involves teams who can finish fourth in their respective domestic league and still win the Cup. How can they be "champions"?

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
I love the idea. Its a way for sides to make more money. Also I think it is a great way for RL to make more money and also help international exposure.
Eventually I think they should change the Challenge Cup and make it a World Club Challenge.

Challenge cup teams excluding Super League top 2
Super League top 6
NRL top 6
Pacific Islands Challenge Cup top 2.

16 teams knockout series. 4 weeks only.

All in good time. Maybe 2011

mattystans000

Juniors
Source: http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5js579qMRntOt4OvZV27qh_z1z4NA

RFL rule out expansion

10 hours ago
Ambitious plans for an expanded 16-team World Club Challenge have been described as a "non-starter" by the Rugby Football League.
A report over the weekend suggested the best six teams from Great Britain and Australia and two from each of France and New Zealand could meet in a tournament from 2009.
But RFL communications director Craig Spence said: "There is certainly no truth in speculation that the RFL, together with engage Super League clubs, have had a meeting to give such a proposal the thumbs up."
He added: "The only World Club Challenge we're currently looking forward to is the mouth-watering clash between Leeds Rhinos and Melbourne Storm.
"The fixture list in this country is already full and we know the NRL's view on disturbing their competition mid-season.
"Player burn-out also needs to be factored in, especially when you consider that we have the World Cup next year and a new four nations tournament likely to take place towards the end of 2009.
"Therefore such a competition is a non-starter."

Coastbloke

Bench
I was scribbling at work and the idea looks nice...

I chose my team in there, just for the hell of it. It's got the 6 Aust, and UK teams, 2 NZ and 2 French teams...

Play each other once. Dunno about finals set up. I'm not good at that sort of thing... :lol: :lol:

Pool 1

Knights
Roosters
Wigan
Warriors

Pool 2

Brisbane
Eels
St Helens
Les Catalans

Pool 3

Storm
Leeds
Warrington
Auckland Lions

Pool 4

Nth QLD
Bradford
London
Toulouse

roughyedspud

Coach
christ almighty...some of you have short memories...

here have a look at this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_World_Club_Challenge

the current format needs tweaking,something like i suggested in a earlier post..the only expanding of the world club challenge i'd agree to would be to have a 4 team comp with the 2 finalists from SL & NRL playing a 2 week,semi final & final comp.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
roughyedspud said:
a earlier post..the only expanding of the world club challenge i'd agree to would be to have a 4 team comp with the 2 finalists from SL & NRL playing a 2 week,semi final & final comp.
I'd like to see that too.

roughyedspud

Coach
a 4 team world club challenge could be huge....

week 1 - game 1 - SL runner up V NRL winner
- game 2 - NRL runner up V SL winner

week 2 - world club championship final

thats a f**kin winner right there...:shock:

All it will do is add more games to the schedule when full internationals is the area in which we should be looking for more games. Plus it still doesn't make sense to have teams who cannot win their national comps playing in what is supposed to be a world championship and there is no format that would ensure the two best teams make the final and that those teams be from opposite hemispheres. Keep it as it is.

westie said:
Yeah - because the Champs League is such a failure...
Who cares about the champions league. As DP said it's not even a champions league because you don't have to be champion to be in it. It's completely different to anything even possible in RL so comparing the two is completely pointless - apples and oranges.

The WCC is a success as it is now. The proposed expansion of it, which has been denied anyway, not only puts that at risk but opens up a whole range of other problems that could impact international football, player burnout and the financial stability of the game on a number of fronts.

deluded pom?

Coach
westie said:
Yeah - because the Champs League is such a failure...

No one said it was a failure. In fact it's just the opposite. It does exactly what it says on the tin i.e generates millions of pounds for the same teams year in year out. The Champions' League is purely and simply a way to make the top European teams richer without actually biting the bullet and creating a genuine European Super League. It does very little for the actual game of soccer.

screeny

Bench
deluded pom? said:
No one said it was a failure. In fact it's just the opposite. It does exactly what it says on the tin i.e generates millions of pounds for the same teams year in year out. The Champions' League is purely and simply a way to make the top European teams richer without actually biting the bullet and creating a genuine European Super League. It does very little for the actual game of soccer.

You can't say that; you have no idea how much money UEFA makes from the TV contracts. Yeah the clubs make the lion's share but the game will benefit, surely, by assisting UEFA finance development programmes here and there.

deluded pom?

Coach
Here and where? Certainly not in England where we struggle to produce ANY world class players and continue down a slippery slope to oblivion in the international arena. The Champions League is great for Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea but how much of the money generated goes back into producing top class ENGLISH players?

Coastbloke

Bench
It's still good to discuss these type of things in a off season...

Where else but a International League forum could you come with the idea of a match between Toulouse, Knights, Storm and Leeds etc etc........!!

playdaball

Bench
The Mt Albert / Auckland Lions would get thrashed i.e. - perhaps over 100 pts, by a NRL/top ESL side.

Latest posts