What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

The Great Dane

First Grade
This is a funny 1 that keeps popping up.
I played basketball at little lunch, big lunch and had a hoop at home! All my mates did, basketball is awesome! It's great fun! My daughter plays it now too and loves it ! We always do the hoop challenge thing at timezone too , also great fun.
Why am I telling you all this?

Because I'm a Rugby league tragic! I watch nearly every game... I'm on a forum ffs 🙈
My daughter plays and loves Aus tag! Scored a try the other day 😍

Point is , enjoying basketball has zero impact on me or my daughter loving league! Zero!
The same way fishing or playing golf doesn't..
Why?
Because they're completely different things!

So please stop this ridiculous assessment, waste of time.
You have the gall to accuse me of a 'ridiculous assessment' and wasting time when all you've brought to the discussion is a mundane and totally meaningless anecdote...

Basketball's growth in this country over the last rough decade has been insane. It's disproportionately been in younger demographics, and it, along with the growth of a couple of other sports, is affecting interest in local products.
Rasu, who was recently in Down Under with the NBA Asia executive team at the Sport NXT, highlighted the NBA’s recent research that has shown basketball as the number one participation sport in Australia among the general population between the ages 6 – 64. She credited this to the popularity of the game, the existing basketball infrastructure and that Australia currently has 12 Australian players in the NBA.

“The participation in the sport, coupled with the success Australians have had on the global stage, has contributed greatly to the popularity of the NBA in the country. In fact, according to Google’s 2021 Year in Search in Australia, the NBA was the no. 1 overall most Googled term,” she added.
In Australia, ESPN televises NBA games and programming, with more than 250 regular-season and playoff games. Live games and NBA-related content are also available on demand through its premium live game subscription service, NBA League Pass.

“Australia remains our no. 1 country in revenue and subscriptions for NBA League Pass outside of the U.S,” Rasu revealed.

NBA also engages with fans across a variety of touchpoints across digital, retail, and on-ground activations, as well as social media, where they have a combined 2 million followers from Australia.
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/nba-asia-sheila-rasu-on-basketballs-golden-age-inaustralia/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20participation%20in%20the%20sport,Googled%20term%2C%E2%80%9D%20she%20added.

basketball-by-the-numbers.jpg

https://australia.basketball/basketball-by-the-numbers-the-sports-recent-growth-in-australia/

That's enough to show that you're clueless without even discussing the NBL's growth in recent times, and here's the kicker; basketball's rate of growth is increasing across the board year on year!

There's really no helping you if you can't see that this level of upheaval will have a significant impact on the market in the future.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Ppl saying that for 40 years & opposite has happened
Please don't pretend that you've been around for 40 years, let alone know what things were like back then.

People have been saying basketball was going to boom for a little over 30 years, not 40, and it did to be fair. However their boom in 90s was all built on a cult of personality, and that was before the social media age. MJ retired the first time, unsurprisingly nobody could fill his shoes, the NBA and NBL's exposure dropped precipitously, and basketball fell back down the pecking order.

Basketball's current growth isn't built on a cult of personality, their exposure is higher than ever, and it has been consistently growing at an increasing rate for the better part of a decade now. The NRL, and other major local sport's leagues, would be fools ignore or play their growth down, and pretend that it won't, or can't, effect them in the future.

Wb1234

Referee
Please don't pretend that you've been around for 40 years, let alone know what things were like back then.

People have been saying basketball was going to boom for a little over 30 years, not 40, and it did to be fair. However their boom in 90s was all built on a cult of personality, and that was before the social media age. MJ retired the first time, unsurprisingly nobody could fill his shoes, the NBA and NBL's exposure dropped precipitously, and basketball fell back down the pecking order.

Basketball's current growth isn't built on a cult of personality, their exposure is higher than ever, and it has been consistently growing at an increasing rate for the better part of a decade now. The NRL, and other major local sport's leagues, would be fools ignore or play their growth down, and pretend that it won't, or can't, effect them in the future.
He’s right

there was a previous boom and they said basketball was the next big thing then it collapsed again

The Great Dane

First Grade
He’s right

there was a previous boom and they said basketball was the next big thing then it collapsed again
I addressed his point in the post you're quoting...

BTW, basketball's current rate of growth is significantly bigger than during the boom in the 90s.

Wb1234

Referee
I addressed his point in the post you're quoting...

BTW, basketball's current rate of growth is significantly bigger than during the boom in the 90s.
It’s an irrelevant sport

soccer union basketball none of them are relevant on the sporting scence

it’s league cricket and afl and that’s never going to change

The Great Dane

First Grade
It’s an irrelevant sport

soccer union basketball none of them are relevant on the sporting scence

it’s league cricket and afl and that’s never going to change
Such arrogance is exactly why things are changing, and will continue to in the future.

The NRL, CA, and AFL to a lesser extent, are so confident in their position that they do nothing to maintain it, and that's left niches that sport's like basketball are currently filling.

BTW, I bet we could find quotes of baseball people in the US saying similar things about football in the 40s and 50s, or RU people saying similar about RL in 1908 for that matter...

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Such arrogance is exactly why things are changing, and will continue to in the future.

The NRL, CA, and AFL to a lesser extent, are so confident in their position that they do nothing to maintain it, and that's left niches that sport's like basketball are currently filling.

BTW, I bet we could find quotes of baseball people in the US saying similar things about football in the 40s and 50s, or RU people saying similar about RL in 1908 for that matter...
Yeh basketball is going to overtake rugby league if we don’t watch out lmao

league has decades of growth ahead of it to be worrying about the also rans

the only sport not mentioned which has had massive growth is ufc and that has no impact on nrl

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeh basketball is going to overtake rugby league if we don’t watch out lmao
I never said that.
league has decades of growth ahead of it to be worrying about the also rans
Baseball and RU had decades of growth over gridiron and RL, and it did nothing to stop either of them catching up to and eventually overtaking baseball and RU...
the only sport not mentioned which has had massive growth is ufc and that has no impact on nrl
I've already mentioned the UFC in this discussion. Their growth has been impressive as well, and it's definitely effecting the NRL and other major sports in younger demographics as well.

Most of it's numbers are nothing compared to basketball's, but that's not that surprising considering it's nature as a combat sport.

Wb1234

Referee
I never said that.

Baseball and RU had decades of growth over gridiron and RL, and it did nothing to stop either of them catching up to and eventually overtaking baseball and RU...

I've already mentioned the UFC in this discussion. Their growth has been impressive as well, and it's definitely effecting the NRL and other major sports in younger demographics as well.

Most of it's numbers are nothing compared to basketball's, but that's not that surprising considering it's nature as a combat sport.

Based on 300k being a high figure for basketball I don’t think the nrl which averages 710k a game is going to be shaking in its boots

The Great Dane

First Grade

Based on 300k being a high figure for basketball I don’t think the nrl which averages 710k a game is going to be shaking in its boots
A ratings high of 300k is very impressive when they rarely, if ever, would have cracked 100k not that long ago...

They're eating up ever-increasing amounts of market share and hoovering up kids that would have been RL, AFL, RU, soccer, etc, juniors not that long ago. It's inevitable that that will have a significant impact on the Australian sport's market given time.

You'd honestly have to be stupid beyond belief to truly believe that their continued growth won't have a significant impact on the Australian sport's market in the future.

Pippen94

First Grade

Basketball boom started in the 80's & exposure for Sydney kings peaked in early 90's. Peter Fitzsimmons wrote article at the time about a basketball hoop located in the front yard of house at cremone where Allan border grew up. Of course basketball surpassed league, cricket, afl & now we post on a forum discussing basketball

Gobsmacked

Bench
You have the gall to accuse me of a 'ridiculous assessment' and wasting time when all you've brought to the discussion is a mundane and totally meaningless anecdote...

Basketball's growth in this country over the last rough decade has been insane. It's disproportionately been in younger demographics, and it, along with the growth of a couple of other sports, is affecting interest in local products.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/nba-asia-sheila-rasu-on-basketballs-golden-age-inaustralia/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20participation%20in%20the%20sport,Googled%20term%2C%E2%80%9D%20she%20added.

basketball-by-the-numbers.jpg

https://australia.basketball/basketball-by-the-numbers-the-sports-recent-growth-in-australia/

That's enough to show that you're clueless without even discussing the NBL's growth in recent times, and here's the kicker; basketball's rate of growth is increasing across the board year on year!

There's really no helping you if you can't see that this level of upheaval will have a significant impact on the market in the future.
Skateboardings taking off again too .
I'm terrified 😰
What about darts?

Wb1234

Referee
A ratings high of 300k is very impressive when they rarely, if ever, would have cracked 100k not that long ago...

They're eating up ever-increasing amounts of market share and hoovering up kids that would have been RL, AFL, RU, soccer, etc, juniors not that long ago. It's inevitable that that will have a significant impact on the Australian sport's market given time.

You'd honestly have to be stupid beyond belief to truly believe that their continued growth won't have a significant impact on the Australian sport's market in the future.
Yeh luc longley would’ve made an excellent rugby league player

soccer union basketball all fighting for the crumbs

meanwhile nrl gets record ratings never been this popular before on tv

Gobsmacked

Bench
You do a fine ostrich impersonation. Junior League numbers in NZ are plummeting while Basketball is going up through the roof, But it doesn't matter?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
I lived it you moron. I as a kid went through the exact same thing. A kid I played with at lunch playing basketball- the best and tallest basketball player at school ended up playing for the Central Queensland Capras !
It means as much as huge numbers playing chess.
Athletic kids don't play 1 sport 🤦‍♂️ .
Basketball is fun , a very common household item is a basketball hoop ffs.
Ask yourself and your slow mate this.
How many current NRL players do you think can do a decent jump shot?
The vast majority!
They play NRL ffs

Vibing

Juniors

100 years plus

no change
in a 100 years time .... who cares