What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Referee
25% of the population of Napier is fiddling it a bit, it's more like half that percentage of population with easy access to the park (as another similar sized city is nearby).

Furthermore, as I said earlier it's an event in an area which hasn't had one for a while (no Super rugby matches this year) and my uncle who barely watches the Warriors on TV went.

As I said earlier in the thread, the match at McLean Park really is not a pointer to whether a second team will be successful.
So someone who barely watches the warriors went to a game when he couldn’t otherwise

wow you d literally just proven what we’ve been saying all along

Matua

Bench
So someone who barely watches the warriors went to a game when he couldn’t otherwise

wow you d literally just proven what we’ve been saying all along
No, he went because it was a one off event and he got a free ticket.

He's not going to follow a NZ2 anymore than he's going to follow the Warriors.

He's not going to be a new subscriber to Sky because he already is for a multitude of other sports.

Wb1234

Referee
No, he went because it was a one off event and he got a free ticket.

He's not going to follow a NZ2 anymore than he's going to follow the Warriors.

He's not going to be a new subscriber to Sky because he already is for a multitude of other sports.
Sure mate

25% of the population of Napier is fiddling it a bit, it's more like half that percentage of population with easy access to the park (as another similar sized city is nearby).

Furthermore, as I said earlier it's an event in an area which hasn't had one for a while (no Super rugby matches this year) and my uncle who barely watches the Warriors on TV went.

As I said earlier in the thread, the match at McLean Park really is not a pointer to whether a second team will be successful.
Ok, so it’s 12.5% of the nearby population. It was a sellout, so there is very much potential it could have been significantly bigger, isn’t there.

What would be a pointer to whether a second team in NZ would be successful?

Ok, so it’s 12.5% of the nearby population. It was a sellout, so there is very much potential it could have been significantly bigger, isn’t there.

I don't mind the idea of NZ2 but I find it ironic how it seems to be the aussies telling the kiwis what's what lol. Bare in mind the Warriors are NZ's national rugby league team. They've had 2 and a half years away from their home in Aotearoa, been in existence for almost 30 years and since their return have pulled great crowds in Auckland, Wellington, Napier and Christchurch this season. What we also have to mention is that the Wahs are in a good form and there's a lot of hype around 'em atm. Would we see these same numbers say in a couple of years if the Warriors were to start struggling again?

My biggest issue with NZ2 is it feels like the Wahs are finally starting to get a foothold all across NZ and not just Auckland anymore. Do we risk jeopardizing the growth of the Warriors at the expense of a 2nd NZ team? Would they have the money to compete with SR/NZ rugby? Would numbers and interest still hold if NZ2 were to struggle and be a polar opposite to the Dolphins and their run of success?

Imo the Warriors should reduce their Auckland home games to 8 at Mt Smart and use the other 3/4 home games to expand their reach across NZ to Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Wellington, Christchurch etc. Would make games at Mt Smart more sought-after and incentivise fans to attend more as there'd be less games, which in turn could help see capacity crowds. Same time you'd be promoting the Warriors as NZ's team and growing their brand to capitalize on the entire NZ market.

I don't mind the idea of NZ2 but I find it ironic how it seems to be the aussies telling the kiwis what's what lol. Bare in mind the Warriors are NZ's national rugby league team. They've had 2 and a half years away from their home in Aotearoa, been in existence for almost 30 years and since their return have pulled great crowds in Auckland, Wellington, Napier and Christchurch this season. What we also have to mention is that the Wahs are in a good form and there's a lot of hype around 'em atm. Would we see these same numbers say in a couple of years if the Warriors were to start struggling again?

My biggest issue with NZ2 is it feels like the Wahs are finally starting to get a foothold all across NZ and not just Auckland anymore. Do we risk jeopardizing the growth of the Warriors at the expense of a 2nd NZ team? Would they have the money to compete with SR/NZ rugby? Would numbers and interest still hold if NZ2 were to struggle and be a polar opposite to the Dolphins and their run of success?

Imo the Warriors should reduce their Auckland home games to 8 at Mt Smart and use the other 3/4 home games to expand their reach across NZ to Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Wellington, Christchurch etc. Would make games at Mt Smart more sought-after and incentivise fans to attend more as there'd be less games, which in turn could help see capacity crowds. Same time you'd be promoting the Warriors as NZ's team and growing their brand to capitalize on the entire NZ market.
A decent opinion, but minimising Mt Smart games will also likely jeopardise the Auckland fan base which are the club’s bread and butter. Let’s not mistake it, they are NZ in name but definitely an Auckland side.

If there is enough interest for the Warriors in the Sth of NZ, then their will be even more interest for their own team.

As for Aussies telling Kiwis what to do, that analogy is like saying Sydney siders can’t have an opinion on Brisbane that differs with a Brisbane person. An average argument.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Calm down old timer, you're gunna give yourself a heart attack.

A heart attack from laughing at you???? Never gonna happen.

Your "stats" are bullshit, your assertions are baseless. Your entire argument is fundamentally flawed. Yet you cling to them as tightly as you can so as not to damage your ego.

If I'm wrong then show the basis of your "stats" and assertions... But you can't because they are baseless.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Dunno. After a turnout of more than 25% of the local population in Napier, I reckon that was a very good demonstration of Rugby League’s potential for a second NZ team.

There doesn’t necessarily need to be a bid just yet, the NRL can set its own project up, but I am sure if the NRL made a public declaration for a second NZ team, there would be a few consortiums which would get together for a bid.

Discounting the fact that Hastings is a few minutes drive from Napier, it's an one off event crowd drawing from the central North Island, a crowd of less than 17K isn't spectacular.

All that aside, the problem isn't about support for a new team, it's about the long term damage it will do to the domestic game in NZ. When the Warriors were due to come in promises were made by the ARL\NSWRL about investment in the local game. As a result most of the provinces were behind it.
When the Warriors came in those promises disappeared. All of the player talent centralised in Auckland, some provinces went under, most still haven't recovered. Since then, the various Aussie League leaderships have promised investment here. each and every time they lied. Most surviving provinces are holding on by a hair. Any new team with out massive investment in grassroot for years beforehand will end the domestic game here. There will be Auckland and whichever city has the second team. Nobody else outside of them will be able to support a comp. All because Australians only care about their precious comp. They don't care about the damage it would do without the grassroots investment first.

All this is moot however. With Skys next bid being back to where it was before Spark Sport, Aussie TV will take Australian teams over a second NZ team any day of the week. NZ2 wont happen.

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade

Mclean Park has a capacity of 19.7K the crowd was under 17K

Vibing

Juniors
Why have the Warriors or NZRL or NRL not made public that they can't get hold of the TV figures?

Or can NZR control the NRL now as well????
The NRL would shit down their necks
Sky being told what to do by kiwi yawnion is affecting all sports in NZ

wow
here we are

Vibing

Juniors
Discounting the fact that Hastings is a few minutes drive from Napier, it's an one off event crowd drawing from the central North Island, a crowd of less than 17K isn't spectacular.

All that aside, the problem isn't about support for a new team, it's about the long term damage it will do to the domestic game in NZ. When the Warriors were due to come in promises were made by the ARL\NSWRL about investment in the local game. As a result most of the provinces were behind it.
When the Warriors came in those promises disappeared. All of the player talent centralised in Auckland, some provinces went under, most still haven't recovered. Since then, the various Aussie League leaderships have promised investment here. each and every time they lied. Most surviving provinces are holding on by a hair. Any new team with out massive investment in grassroot for years beforehand will end the domestic game here. There will be Auckland and whichever city has the second team. Nobody else outside of them will be able to support a comp. All because Australians only care about their precious comp. They don't care about the damage it would do without the grassroots investment first.

All this is moot however. With Skys next bid being back to where it was before Spark Sport, Aussie TV will take Australian teams over a second NZ team any day of the week. NZ2 wont happen.

you halfwit wanna be
it was sold out weeks ago , not one more soul could of fitted in

talk about a toffball moron

Wb1234

Referee

They are the Auckland warriors
you halfwit wanna be

any updates on tba ?

Gobsmacked

Bench
you halfwit wanna be

It's not really worth a response mate. Warriors will be in Hamilton in a few weeks and probably another great crowd. Shows massive NRL following right across NZ and contradicts what we are told from our out of touch, ageing Union fans.

Te Kaha

First Grade
It's not really worth a response mate. Warriors will be in Hamilton in a few weeks and probably another great crowd. Shows massive NRL following right across NZ and contradicts what we are told from our out of touch, ageing Union fans.

Still not come up with any base for your pathetically inaccurate assumptions yet?

Vibing

Juniors
This is an interesting headline for a competition that's doing so well 🤔

The saffas couldn't get away quick enough from the klusterf**k that is wugby in this part of the world , they saw the writing on the wall ...
yawnion is imploding around the globe
UK clubs going broke left right & centre

NZ , Aust & others needing private equity deals to make ends meet , selling their souls to the devil

wow
just wow

Wb1234

Referee
Whose home game is the Hamilton game?

which stadium the one in Waikato is good