What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Maximus

Coach
But let's say @Gobsmacked's statement was based on how much is received from the governing body vs the salary cap.

The NFL paid out $374.4m to every team and their salary cap was $208.2m

The Packers and every other team received $374.4 million in shared revenue.

The NFL has told its 32 teams that the 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million, a source confirmed to ESPN.

This marks an increase of $16.6 million from the 2022 salary cap, which was $208.2 million.

The NRL is literally the only Comp in the world that offers a guaranteed return.

So nope, you can rule that out as the metric Gobsmacked was using.

Wb1234

Immortal
“We’ve emerged in a strong financial position, NRL Clubs are well-funded and profitable, fans are supporting the NRL and NRLW competitions in record numbers and there is a plan in place to further invest in grassroots football including schools and Club participation.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/02/22/nrl-announces-financial-results-for-2022-season/#:~:text=“We've%20emerged%20in%20a,including%20schools%20and%20Club%20participation.

Owning an nrl club is a license to print money

Gobsmacked

Bench
But let's say @Gobsmacked's statement was based on how much is received from the governing body vs the salary cap.

The NFL paid out $374.4m to every team and their salary cap was $208.2m

The Packers and every other team received $374.4 million in shared revenue.

The NFL has told its 32 teams that the 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million, a source confirmed to ESPN.

This marks an increase of $16.6 million from the 2022 salary cap, which was $208.2 million.

So nope, you can rule that out as the metric Gobsmacked was using.
So now we're in line with the NFL! Great news! Thanks for the research! 😎

sup42

Juniors
New Zealanders are fickle fans, they only back winners, and Union delivers on that so the NRL has a big problem there.

The Warriors recent success and massive following in New Zealand is case and point,

For a second franchise to take hold, special dispensations need to be in place like the News Corp sides. Salary cap exemptions, aggressive marketing, a side based in Canterbury region (the Queensland of NZ, the underdogs, that produce the hardest most disciplined players in the other Rugby code).

The NRL would need to take it on seriously if they venture into a second NZ franchise. Sure the talent is there, but most of it is playing Union, which reinforces why the platform for a Christchurch side needs to be seriously funded.

If Rugby Union is the Islamic fundamentalist sport of NZ then Christchurch is Mecca.

If you can woo those fans, your new franchise is going to be adopted by all who live outside of Auckland which is the Sydney of NZ and despised universally by the rest.

The thing about Canterbury (the province of Christchurch) is that there is a core of loyal league people there, akin to the five thousand that show up at Mt Smart for twenty plus years to watch their team embarrass themselves, so unlike Melbourne or Perth, there is a legitimate small core of real League people who have followed the sport in the South Island for as long as any Australian has followed this game.

At the moment the Warriors are limited to recruiting mostly from the Auckland Market.

The Melbourne Storm own the Wellington recruitment market, thanks to Stephen Kearneys legend in the region and contacts there.

And you could argue that the Storm get the better of the NZ players by virtue of scouting outside the Warriors breeding ground in Auckland.

So....a second franchise in Christchurch could thrive, there is no doubt about that despite what blinkered Warriors fans tell you (I am one of the most ardent and staunch Warriors fans in this country) provided the NRL boosted the Christchurch franchise with intentional special treatment to ensure they are competitive from day one...which would see them attract the types of players the Storm steal from here, and see them loaded with decent Australian imports, and eventually Canterbury and all other regions outside Auckland players.

As an aside, the Warriors and the Auckland scene are dominated by Polynesians which is great.

On the other hand the hardest toughest most respected players of the Union code in the modern era are often times from the South Island.

NZ league could do with more diversity, I say that safely from the comfort of being an indigenous man, that I would like to see more of the what we call pakeha meaning white fellah NZ union guys in the league game.

The thing is, that this tiny city I have been going on about in the South Island with a very English name...Christchurch....is the city that dominates all of New Zealand in Rugby Union.

Take the fight there NRL and take it with all the resources you can throw at it, give the people a competitive team and you will sell the game to the majority culture in NZ the Pakeha...the White man therefore you will sell it to the majority of New Zelanders which guarantees League takes the fight to a level that threatens Rugby Union in real terms.

Fort starters, every Warriors fan, and at present there are a lot of us with the bandwagon would jump on a Christchurch based side like white on rice if it happens while hating them one or two rounds a year when we play them. They literally have all the Warriors fan base locked in as supporters even before the first ball is kicked...think about that....especially when the Wahs are rubbish and the South Island team is going well. They literally have a inbuilt back up fan base.

Last edited:
New Zealanders are fickle fans, they only back winners, and Union delivers on that so the NRL has a big problem there.

The Warriors recent success and massive following in New Zealand is case and point,

For a second franchise to take hold, special dispensations need to be in place like the News Corp sides. Salary cap exemptions, aggressive marketing, a side based in Canterbury region (the Queensland of NZ, the underdogs, that produce the hardest most disciplined players in the other Rugby code).

The NRL would need to take it on seriously if they venture into a second NZ franchise. Sure the talent is there, but most of it is playing Union, which reinforces why the platform for a Christchurch side needs to be seriously funded.

If Rugby Union is the Islamic fundamentalist sport of NZ then Christchurch is Mecca.

If you can woo those fans, your new franchise is going to be adopted by all who live outside of Auckland which is the Sydney of NZ and despised universally by the rest.

The thing about Canterbury (the province of Christchurch) is that there is a core of loyal league people there, akin to the five thousand that show up at Mt Smart for twenty plus years to watch their team embarrass themselves, so unlike Melbourne or Perth, there is a legitimate small core of real League people who have followed the sport in the South Island for as long as any Australian has followed this game.

At the moment the Warriors are limited to recruiting mostly from the Auckland Market.

The Melbourne Storm own the Wellington recruitment market, thanks to Stephen Kearneys legend in the region and contacts there.

And you could argue that the Storm get the better of the NZ players by virtue of scouting outside the Warriors breeding ground in Auckland.

So....a second franchise in Christchurch could thrive, there is no doubt about that despite what blinkered Warriors fans tell you (I am one of the most ardent and staunch Warriors fans in this country) provided the NRL boosted the Christchurch franchise with intentional special treatment to ensure they are competitive from day one...which would see them attract the types of players the Storm steal from here, and see them loaded with decent Australian imports, and eventually Canterbury and all other regions outside Auckland players.

As an aside, the Warriors and the Auckland scene are dominated by Polynesians which is great.

On the other hand the hardest toughest most respected players of the Union code in the modern era are often times from the South Island.

NZ league could do with more diversity, I say that safely from the comfort of being an indigenous man, that I would like to see more of the what we call pakeha meaning white fellah NZ union guys in the league game.

The thing is, that this tiny city I have been going on about in the South Island with a very English name...Christchurch....is the city that dominates all of New Zealand in Rugby Union.

Take the fight there NRL and take it with all the resources you can throw at it, give the people a competitive team and you will sell the game to the majority culture in NZ the Pakeha...the White man therefore you will sell it to the majority of New Zelanders which guarantees League takes the fight to a level that threatens Rugby Union in real terms.

Fort starters, every Warriors fan, and at present there are a lot of us with the bandwagon would jump on a Christchurch based side like white on rice if it happens while hating them one or two rounds a year when we play them. They literally have all the Warriors fan base locked in as supporters even before the first ball is kicked...think about that....especially when the Wahs are rubbish and the South Island team is going well. They literally have a inbuilt back up fan base.

Taking on RU in NZ will provide better returns than trying to muscle in on a fumbleball stronghold.

Gobsmacked

Bench
So are you going to back up your statement, or just keep running away from your stupid claim? It's ok, you can admit it was bullshit.
To the best of my knowledge it was the only comp that guarantees a return to clubs. Obviously nobody in their right mind would assume a anonymous poster on an internet forum would have an in depth knowledge of every single competition in every sport across the entire world and thier profitability... right ?
Did you? Did you think that highly of me?
Well thanks.

Canard

Immortal
To the best of my knowledge it was the only comp that guarantees a return to clubs. Obviously nobody in their right mind would assume a anonymous poster on an internet forum would have an in depth knowledge of every single competition in every sport across the entire world and thier profitability... right ?
Did you? Did you think that highly of me?
Well thanks.
That's a long winded way to say "I was full of shit", just like my pretend residency in NZ

Latest posts