What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Juniors

Joel-22

Juniors
Has anyone been paying close attention to our juniors over the last season or two?
I'm interested to know if we have any potential superstars in the making?

As much details as possible on any of the current juniors would be much appreciated :)

PhilGould

Bench
Our u/20's halves Brock Lamb & Jack Cogger have played Australian schoolboys together as well as represented NSW u/18s this year which Cogger captained. This has been their first full season in the 20's and they've done well. Lamb in particular looks like he could be a very special player in a few years. Both of them are only 18 though so no need to rush them.

Luke Yates spent half the year as our u/20's captain but has now moved on to NSW Cup. He's a short but very well built Lock/Prop in the Paul Gallen mould. Gets through a mountain of work. Played for NSW u/20s this year. Could possibly get a game or two of first grade next year.

There's a few outside backs who've shown some promise. I like the look of Braden Robson, Josh Birch & Ken Tofilau but they're probably a few years away from being ready.

We've got a backrower named Roman Fepuleai who's already very big and probably hasn't finished growing yet. Again, he's a few years away but looks like he could be something.

The ones who I'm most excited to see next season are the Saifiti twins, Daniel & Jacob. I think they're only 19 but both are massive already and can get through a lot of work. Unlike a lot of other young guys who are their size they don't shy away from doing the hard work that they need to do. They're originally from Newcastle but we signed them from a central coast team and in their first season with us they've become real leaders in our forward pack. If they can work on their fitness in the offseason I could see them both playing NSW Cup and getting some first grade game time when injuries inevitably occur.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
Thanks mate.

The Saifiti twins interest me. What sort of players are they?
One's a prop and ones a second rower currently but they're both pretty much the same size and I think they'll both be front rowers in the long term. They're Fijian based and have said that Petero Civoniceva was their idol and I think Petero would be their best comparison. Both are big, run hard and are tough to bring down.

Jono078

Referee
I'm not sure I'm on board the Lamb hype train.

I don't see him amounting to anything great.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
One's a prop and ones a second rower currently but they're both pretty much the same size and I think they'll both be front rowers in the long term. They're Fijian based and have said that Petero Civoniceva was their idol and I think Petero would be their best comparison. Both are big, run hard and are tough to bring down.
Daniel looks the goods and is easily the pick of the two I reckon. Jacob's runs are strong but he has a pretty poor motor compared to his brother from what I've seen.

harrywilliams

Juniors
The Saifiti brothers are looking like huge prospects. Huge impact and they play big minutes for huge guys. Nothing better than seeing them taking turns hitting the ball up one after the other and making 20+ metres per run. They've already played and started for Fiji.

They both make 150-180 metres a game, Jacob played his first NSW Cup game the other week and scored a try and set up another in their win over Newtown. They both score plenty of tries and get through a stack of work, they aren't the typical big guys v little guys islanders, they look physically mature and play mature, really strong games every week.

Daniel plays prop and Jacob plays in the backrow, they're just as damaging and get through just as much work together and can both play any position in the forwards.

The others to mention are the HM's champion team. Starling and O'Hagan dominate the lower comps, Starling has played some NYC this year and has impressed the entire club. Brodie Jones and Corder's cousin Kurtis Dark are hugely impressive and junior rep along with the others, Jones plays prop but has the skill of Cuthbo and is fast and has played some NYC too. Jayden Butterfield who's just been selected to rep Australia is a future star too, he's a big boy, 6'3 and is a hard working weapon. We have plenty of top quality forwards coming through with a heap of brilliant spine players coming through, Tex Hoy is making big waves too and Matt Cooper is a try scoring freak who also is another of our many junior reps.

Mamo and Gagai made PM 13 train on squad. Jacky Stockwell was the big surprise though and backs up what many of us here think. no doubt he has potential to play rep and Brown should do wonders with his game.

Last edited:
PhilGould; Since when are the Saifiti boys originally from Newcastle ?, both Jacob and Daniel are from Wamberal on the Central Coast, played U8's at Toukley before moving to the Terrigal Sharks in U9's-U14's when they moved to the Entrance Tigers from U15's onwards playing Matts and Ball on the Coast with the Central Coast Centurians and winning the Jim Beam Cup with the Entrance Tigers last season.
Other Central Coast juniors mentioned in this thread are Jack Cogger (Toukley Hawks), Brendan O'Hagan (Berkrley Vale Panthers) and Tom Starling (Kincumber Colts).

Last edited:

Still Nutty

Juniors
The Saifiti brothers are looking like huge prospects. Huge impact and they play big minutes for huge guys. Nothing better than seeing them taking turns hitting the ball up one after the other and making 20+ metres per run. They've already played and started for Fiji.

They both make 150-180 metres a game, Jacob played his first NSW Cup game the other week and scored a try and set up another in their win over Newtown. They both score plenty of tries and get through a stack of work, they aren't the typical big guys v little guys islanders, they look physically mature and play mature, really strong games every week.

Daniel plays prop and Jacob plays in the backrow, they're just as damaging and get through just as much work together and can both play any position in the forwards.

The others to mention are the HM's champion team. Starling and O'Hagan dominate the lower comps, Starling has played some NYC this year and has impressed the entire club. Brodie Jones and Corder's cousin Kurtis Dark are hugely impressive and junior rep along with the others, Jones plays prop but has the skill of Cuthbo and is fast and has played some NYC too. Jayden Butterfield who's just been selected to rep Australia is a future star too, he's a big boy, 6'3 and is a hard working weapon. We have plenty of top quality forwards coming through with a heap of brilliant spine players coming through, Tex Hoy is making big waves too and Matt Cooper is a try scoring freak who also is another of our many junior reps.

Any direct relation to Tony Butterfield?

PhilGould

Bench
PhilGould; Since when are the Saifiti boys originally from Newcastle ?, both Jacob and Daniel are from Wamberal on the Central Coast, played U8's at Toukley before moving to the Terrigal Sharks in U9's-U14's when they moved to the Entrance Tigers from U15's onwards playing Matts and Ball on the Coast with the Central Coast Centurians and winning the Jim Beam Cup with the Entrance Tigers last season.
Other Central Coast juniors mentioned in this thread are Jack Cogger (Toukley Hawks), Brendan O'Hagan (Berkrley Vale Panthers) and Tom Starling (Kincumber Colts).
According to their profile on the Knights page they were both born in Newcastle. If that's incorrect I apologise. I understand they played their junior footy and grew up on the Central Coast

I actually believe Nathan Brown is the perfect coach to bring these kids through. He knows junior players like few others. His main job at Melbourne was to overlook the junior ranks for potential Storm recruits.

harrywilliams

Juniors
He made a reputation in the SL of getting the best out of young players too. He had an experienced spine and some experienced forwards but the rest of the side were really young players and the way he talked about those young players after his premiership win you just know he's passionate about young guys stepping up to the plate and pushing them. Melbourne clearly saw this and gave him a job to put young talent in his hands.

macavity

Referee

Central Coast is Knights catchment...