What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights - ABC Four Corners

perverse

Referee
i completely condone and support group sex on the proviso it:

a) is consensual.
b) has more ladies than men.
c) ensures balls arn't touching.

that is all.

IanG

Coach
i completely condone and support group sex on the proviso it:

a) is consensual.
b) has more ladies than men.
c) ensures balls arn't touching.

that is all.

Well that all goes without saying. Let's face it what people do in the privacy of their own homes is their business. I agree more ladies than men.

Alex28

Coach
Eh, I'm not going to give my thoughts on this because it'll just make me sound like a woman hater. But suffice to say, some of the onus has got to lay with the woman putting herself into that situation.
Totally not the point. If she says yes, that is fine. The minute she says no, it has to stop. It seems that with the Bulldogs and the Sharks clearly she said no to some people and it didn't stop.

It is complete bullsh*t to say that she asked for it.

Plus I'm with Keeney...I don't get the fascination with banging a chick with your footy mates...

Pika

Bench
That excludes the d*ckhead comment by a couple of our Under 20's players.

I'll let you watch the video to see who.

I can only imagine the attitude of some of them is why they aren't playing for the club now.

The Knights gave Four Corners full access to the club over a number of days I believe.

All the players are still with the Club.

These actions are not limited to football players. Society in general needs to look at this problem.

Great show.

Heartbreaking to hear the young Kiwi girls story.

I cant condone the behaiour of these players, and I think the way they behaved was terrible, but having said this to my wife and copping a massive spray....... but anyway.

When a young woman goes to a motel room with two guys on her own that are drunk (footballer or otherwise) what does she think will happen?

Its certainly not her fault, but a bit of comon sense and self preservation would help.

Pika

Bench
Totally not the point. If she says yes, that is fine. The minute she says no, it has to stop. It seems that with the Bulldogs and the Sharks clearly she said no to some people and it didn't stop.

It is complete bullsh*t to say that she asked for it.

Plus I'm with Keeney...I don't get the fascination with banging a chick with your footy mates...

Agreed mate.

At no point in the report did she suggest she said no though.

I even think that itself is not good enough. Grown men humiliating a young girl dont need to hear the word "no".

I think anyone with a brain would realise she was not consenting to what was going on that night.

macavity

Referee
I cant condone the behaiour of these players, and I think the way they behaved was terrible, but having said this to my wife and copping a massive spray....... but anyway.

When a young woman goes to a motel room with two guys on her own that are drunk (footballer or otherwise) what does she think will happen?

Its certainly not her fault, but a bit of comon sense and self preservation would help.

LOL

my wife said exactly the same thing to me.

you sound like my wife, Pika.

I had a lot of sympathy for the kiwi woman - no one deserves to go through that.

Wifey on the other hand thought she had to accept some of the blame simply for being so dumb to go there. She said "you don't go to Afghanistan unless you are prepared to be shot at". She thought that although it got out of hand, she must have had some idea what was going to happen going to a hotel room with two drunk guys.

Karmawave

Bench
Does anyone know why they chose to use the Knights as the 'constant' through out the show?

Because the Newcastle Knights are being seen as doing all they can to change the culture of the club for the better. They were transparent to the interviewer, and they are one NRL club who acknowledged the problems we had a few years ago when Tilse was released. Many other NRL teams just batten up the hatches and get a defensive us-against-the-world stance ( like Manly )

The Newcastle Knights were used as a reference point that the club is trying to do all they can to educate players and change the drinking culture of a rugby league team, while inferring that many NRL teams are not making the same effort, nor even caring.

Group sex does seem to be creepily prevalent in Australian team sports

People would be surprised how prevalent it is in Australian society in general.

All the players are still with the Club.

True hey? I've never seen Simon Williams play this year?

Where has he been playing?

His comments were cringeworthy, and I don't buy it that he said his comments just because he fits into the 16-19 age range. Big Tim et al, did you think like that when you were between the ages of 16-19? I'm sure as hell I didn't.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
His comments were cringeworthy, and I don't buy it that he said his comments just because he fits into the 16-19 age range. Big Tim et al, did you think like that when you were between the ages of 16-19? I'm sure as hell I didn't.

a hell of a lot of kids these days are douchebags - hell, there were a fair number around 10 years ago too. Just because we turned out ok and avoided criminal records (well, Big Tim and I did...) doesn't mean others turned out ok too, or that kids aren't douchebags now.

the times they are a changin', old man.

Karmawave

Bench
a hell of a lot of kids these days are douchebags - hell, there were a fair number around 10 years ago too. Just because we turned out ok and avoided criminal records (well, Big Tim and I did...) doesn't mean others turned out ok too, or that kids aren't douchebags now.

the times they are a changin', old man.

I guess so Macca. Getting old hey.

In addition , there's a reason while some people are locked up in general population while sex fiends are kept isolated in protective custody from the masses. ;-)

Alex28

Coach
I haven't watched it yet...but I got a blow-by-blow on what he said...and if it is correct you have to wonder:

* how some people get to have such attitudes; and
* whether the Knights did all they could to stop that clip from going to air. While the guy's attitude is pretty pathetic, his reputation is ruined.

Alex28

Coach
I hope so too...but they have sort of sent the lamb to the slaughter with this case. Rather than reinforcing that his attitude is plain wrong they have used him as an example for the rest of the league fraternity without thinking through the consequences for him.

I need to watch it and see the comments in full though...just hearing it third hand at the moment.

copy cat

Juniors
dunno how u can judge him by the half a dozen words taken out of context. without hearing the question and the rest of his response it means nothing.

Alex28

Coach
dunno how u can judge him by the half a dozen words taken out of context. without hearing the question and the rest of his response it means nothing.
Exactly my point. Hard to judge but people are. It is all my workplace is talking about this morning...

copy cat

Juniors
his comments to me have nothing to do with what happens the night before, it is more make sure you show them respect the next morning by doing the right thing by them.

Karmawave

Bench

I think whether it was taken out of context or not, what he said was disturbing all the same - whether it was a piece of a long winded response, and irrespective of what question was asked.

" It's how you treat them afterwards, to cover all of that stuff up " - Simon Williams Knights

" It's not how you treat them during the act, it's how you treat them afterwards. Most of them could have been avoided if you had just put them in a cab and said ' thanks for that kinda thing ' and not just kicked her out " - Simon Williams Knights

How else is that meant to be taken? And would the question asked really matter one bit?

Those are the exact quotes.

" To cover all that stuff up? " - taken out of context? I don't think so.