What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights Signings/Re-signings thread

perverse

Referee
Article says he was on 200k a season.
Ironically, he has probably taken a cut so we can find 50k a season for Joel Edwards, who should take his firstgrade spot as well.

Wicks probaly got 3x as much as Mark Tuafua for last season.
it could also be clearing a bit of cap space for Tim Smith. that rumour keeps bobbing its head up, and he's been quoted as saying he'd play for $50k just to get his feet in the NRL again.

i hate to fuel that rumour because i find it so unlikely... but it would be an absolute coup for the club.

-edit- actually i just realised this contract reduction would be in effect from 2011 onwards... thus negating everything i've said above, in all likelihood.

Last edited:

KempoKnight

Juniors
it could also be clearing a bit of cap space for Tim Smith. that rumour keeps bobbing its head up, and he's been quoted as saying he'd play for $50k just to get his feet in the NRL again.

i hate to fuel that rumour because i find it so unlikely... but it would be an absolute coup for the club.

-edit- actually i just realised this contract reduction would be in effect from 2011 onwards... thus negating everything i've said above, in all likelihood.

If we sign Tim Smith I may combust in happiness.

roopy

Referee
Theeran Pearson is no longer at the club
Ironic that his last game in the trial V Penrith was the best i've seen him play - he is looking good this year - hope he gets a run for a good team.
Not sure what we are going to do for a halfback in NSW cup.

Brent Tate is up for contract renewal this season. I know he has had injuries but he would be perfect for this club. Would be worth the punt. Broncs will no doubt try to bring him back.

How long do we keep delaying Mata'utia's debut though?

Surely he deserves next shot.
We are a bit too cautious when it comes to introducing our youngsters to grade. Smithy's legacy lingers in a way. Look at Para's roster. Inu, Hayne and Mateo were all deemed not up to grade standard by Brian. At least at that time. Well we all know how that panned out. Pete might prove to be a revelation. Perfect chance to introduce him in round one when there is no pressure to get a good start rather than in round 12 when we are up against it. Too much pressue then.

Pure_Knight

Juniors
Thats one thing thats always upset me in recent years at the club. For the past decade or so i guess. We dont trust our youth. Sides like the Broncos, Melbourne, some of the sydney sides, trust there top youth players and arent afraid to throw them in there. Look at the broncos last night.

Mata'utia would learn very quickly and be up to speed in the centres with us, Ailomai off the bench would give us what wicks did but 10fold, and yes hes young, but hes got the talent and hes big enough. Tetevano in the backrow shouldnt be too far down the list, but i get the feeling hed be a last option, as will mata'utia and Ailomai, based purely on their age which is a shame.

Thats one thing thats always upset me in recent years at the club. For the past decade or so i guess. We dont trust our youth. Sides like the Broncos, Melbourne, some of the sydney sides, trust there top youth players and arent afraid to throw them in there. Look at the broncos last night.

Mata'utia would learn very quickly and be up to speed in the centres with us, Ailomai off the bench would give us what wicks did but 10fold, and yes hes young, but hes got the talent and hes big enough. Tetevano in the backrow shouldnt be too far down the list, but i get the feeling hed be a last option, as will mata'utia and Ailomai, based purely on their age which is a shame.
Baby Broncs proved that last night. They were utterly superb bar the expected concentration lapse. They are kids so it was acceptable at this point. They are going to hurt a lot of teams this year The Broncs.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Guys you have missed out on Trevor Thurling, he has re-signed with the Raiders for 3 yrs.

But you may get Justin Carney according to Tim Gavel on 666 ABC Canberra.

Who can blame him for not signing with us?

EDIT: Uate, McManus are our first choice wingers, besides that not much talent though, yeah he wouldnt be terrible.

Serc

First Grade
Hmm interesting...Carney goes alright

As an aside I hope he gets back to his best after that horrible ankle injury last year too (whichever club he plays for)