What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle thunder

Perth Red

Post Whore
After Gateshead terrible news to lose Newcastle as well. Allegedly the owner is having a messy divorce and can’t afford to keep them going. Very hard to run a professional club with little support or sponsorship.

London skolars and Newcastle both gone from League 1. Brings Into question the viability of L1 with only 8 clubs left. might be time to merge championship and L1 and have two conferences?

Nuke

Staff member
I don't know the situation (I am curious as to whether the name 'Newcastle Falcons' came about before or after the Aussie basketball team though...), but it seems 'coincidental' that the article quotes that while the League team is struggling with minimal growth in the area, the union is going strong.

Could it be the union owners owned their most direct rival so to stifle it?

It may sound like a conspiracy, but how many times in how many countries has there been dirty tactics from union towards league over the years?

Wb1234

Referee
You wanted promotion and relegation with no regard to expansion teams

just another example of failed expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
You wanted promotion and relegation with no regard to expansion teams

just another example of failed expansion
Eh? Their failure has little to do with promotion and relegation. Not like they were making money in the championship. The union club owners lost nearly $5mill last year and were obviously looking to cut their costs. Getting in bed with union is never going to end well.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know the situation (I am curious as to whether the name 'Newcastle Falcons' came about before or after the Aussie basketball team though...), but it seems 'coincidental' that the article quotes that while the League team is struggling with minimal growth in the area, the union is going strong.

Could it be the union owners owned their most direct rival so to stifle it?

It may sound like a conspiracy, but how many times in how many countries has there been dirty tactics from union towards league over the years?
I wouldn’t say that, they lost £2.5 million pound last year! Cutting of thunder probably related to their overall loses as a cost saving.

Wb1234

Referee
I wouldn’t say that, they lost £2.5 million pound last year! Cutting of thunder probably related to their overall loses as a cost saving.

40 million pounds in debt
They could be the next union club to die

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh imagine we had p and r and the broncos got relegated when they came last

lmaoooo
Imagine tigers weren’t allowed to be sht year after year whilst other potentially better clubs had a direct route in. Lmao

you do realise with p&r there wouldn’t be an expansion club joining SL next season?

Wb1234

Referee
Imagine tigers weren’t allowed to be sht year after year whilst other potentially better clubs had a direct route in. Lmao

you do realise with p&r there wouldn’t be an expansion club joining SL next season?
Yeh brining back Newton for the tigers would be amazing

the fact much needed expansion was reliant upon fev choking should be the death knell of p and r forever

it’s by fluke they are getting rid of p and r just when London or toulose come back in for wakey

jason taylor

Bench