What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle vs Parramatta for 8th spot.

OK, let's work under the assumption that the Knights, Rabbitohs and Cowboys win on Saturday. This would leave Parramatta in a situation similar to last year where a victory by x amount of points scrapes them in.

Problem last year was not that Parramatta weren't good enough, it was that x = 28. Too much from the get go. x needs to be lower, more achievable.

Now if we are lucky enough to survive the Saturday Gauntlet, we want x to be a single digit. Currently, x is 57, but Newcastle have a chance to lower it if they beat the Tigers, which we are assuming is true as a premise.

How low do we want x to be when the Eels take the field on Sunday? Don't automatically think 0, meaning we only need to win by a field goal. In this scenario Newcastle's differential would have dropped to -54 and our one point win will leave us with -70. If Newcastle won by 57 then we would need to win by 18, otherwise Newcastle get 8th spot.

There is a balance in there that allows Parra to score as little as possible while still maintaing better differentials than both the Tigers and Knights.

Newcastle victory margin...10...20...30...40...45...46...47...48...49...50...51

Newcastle Differential........101.91...81...71...66...65...64...63...62...61...60
Tigers Differential...............25...35...45...55...60...61...62...63...64...65...66

Eels victory margin needed 47...37...27...17...12...11...10...9...10...11...12

So the ideal situation is for Newcastle to win by 48 against the Tigers, leaving them both on - 63, which means we only need to win by 9 to get the last finals spot.

Utey

Coach
LOLLLLL do you ever give up HJ. Even i reckon we are gone. It would take more than a miracle :roll:

Utey

Coach
Optimism by an eels fan at its peak. We shouldnt be in this position. We shoudlve beaten Penrith.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Raiders will beat Rabbits
Wests will beat Knights
Sharks have a possibility of beating Cowboys

and the likelyhood of all those loosing are low, even if they all did then its still a slim chance that chooks will loose by over 50 to the eels (no offence, but its definately possibility with next years squad).

Eels Dude

Coach
We'll make the finals easily... that's what we can say in a years time anyway. It's only 365 sleeps away!

bartman

Immortal
It's good maths, and maths is interesting. But only once the Saturday night results come in will it (maybe?) come into play.

I wouldn't back Wests to lose to Newcastle with anyone's money. And now I just want to see Parra end the season with a win...

The Colonel

Immortal
bartman said:
I wouldn't back Wests to lose to Newcastle with anyone's money. And now I just want to see Parra end the season with a win...

I would and I have - now I'm wavering on whether we can make it or not however I don't think the Tigers can beat Newcastle at home. They played their GF last week IMO.

The Cowboys will beat the Sharks at home in front of 20k+ fans as they won't want anyone to spoil the party.

The biggest problem is Canberra. I've backed them for the eight.

Avenger

Immortal
HJ if I'm ever stuck in a desert, I want you to be with me and of course the lady in PJ Marshall's avatar. ;-)

PB

Bench
I just hope this site is congested with people trying to log on on Saturday night at around 9:30, to work out what we need on Sunday.

Don't right the bunnies off, the raiders have been nothing short of woeful over the last two months.

And i agree with the person who said the Tigers may have played their GF last week.

Of course it's wishful thinking, but thats what makes HJ a "supporter" and not a "detractor."....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
HJ if I'm ever stuck in a desert, I want you to be with me and of course the lady in PJ Marshall's avatar. ;-)

do you bat for both teams??? ;-)

Avenger

Immortal
eelavation said:
Avenger said:

do you bat for both teams??? ;-)

No smartarse. I need HJ to survive and keep my optimism, I need the girl to fill in time.

Clarkieel

Juniors
HJ I did the same calculations myself late last sunday night, there is still a slim chance that I am holding onto until saturday night when we know if there is a real chance on sunday or not.
Looking forward also to seeing the Eels smash the roosters for the second time this year!!

KevinArnold

Juniors
Then Jesus broke bread and fed a thousand people with one loaf :blahb:

We're Gone! :roll:

Bring on 2005 :thumnn

oldmancraigy

Coach
Super Thread Hollywood!

Just thought I'd bring it back to the top!

Why give up? I mean we can certainly give up if things go against us, but until that time let's play pretends eh?

I gotta say (if we're fantasising here) it'd be great for the Bulldogs to lose to the Warriors right before kickoff in our game - it'd assure the Roosters of the minor premiership and perhaps lower their intensity!

I TRULY believe the Kinghts will win this game by a few, but not so confident of Souths/ Cowboys winning. The Cowboys will lose simply because they have nothing to gain by winning...

GoParra

Juniors
I think the cowboys have a lot to gain, They are going into the finals for the first ever time and will want to go in with momentum and on a postive roll.

GoParra

Juniors
Souths also have a lot to play for, they will be desperate to avoid the wooden spoon and as a New Zealand resident, I am equally desperate for the warriors to get it :D

Latest posts