What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Limited's Apology to Brett Stewart...

axl rose

Bench
Did Anthony Laffranchi and his teammates ever get any apology. I remember News Ltd reporting it as a gang rape. Strange that since Laffranchi was the only one who stood trial, where he was found not guilty. Always hiding behind the word alleged.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I have no sympathy for News Ltd but it's kind of frustrating to see Manly fans whinge and whinge and whinge for an apology - and it comes (regardless of format or content) - and there's still complaints.

BM1979

Juniors
There should be laws in place where an independant body can be used to estimate how much money was made (how many papers we sold) as a result of baseless accusations and use that figure to compensate the wrongfully accused accordingly. Dollar for dollar

I agree with what your saying 100% but I also believe at the time the accusations were not to be considered as baseless as Police actually pressed charges

hellteam

First Grade
Why is there an apology? He was charged wasn't he?

Just haven't noticed any apologies like this in the past in the media of people who were found not guilty...

Merdy33

Juniors
Why is there an apology? He was charged wasn't he?

Just haven't noticed any apologies like this in the past in the media of people who were found not guilty...

If they had reported that he had been charged, and some of the facts around what he had been charged with etc, then no apology would be warranted. The problem was that they reported as fact a whole heap of damaging and embarrassing allegations that either did not come out in evidence, or were proven to be lies.

I suspect that the apology might be part of a settlement package, and not a stand alone response.

BM1979

Juniors
If they had reported that he had been charged, and some of the facts around what he had been charged with etc, then no apology would be warranted. The problem was that they reported as fact a whole heap of damaging and embarrassing allegations that either did not come out in evidence, or were proven to be lies.

I suspect that the apology might be part of a settlement package, and not a stand alone response.

Shoulds it not be the accuser who is held responsible then not the papers , The girl made the claims not the paper they just printed what he was accused of.

Keffola

Juniors
Shoulds it not be the accuser who is held responsible then not the papers , The girl made the claims not the paper they just printed what he was accused of.

Well that's the problem right, the paper didn't just print that he was accused of sexual assault, they went ahead and printed a whole heap of other stuff which turned out didn't happen.

Eels Dude

Coach

Many sexual assault cases get aquitted due to lack of evidence for that reason only... you set a dangerous precedent if you allow real rape victims to be allowed to be sued when they are really just victims.

Merdy33

Juniors
Well that's the problem right, the paper didn't just print that he was accused of sexual assault, they went ahead and printed a whole heap of other stuff which turned out didn't happen.

That's right. There is a post earlier in this thread that mentions that he supposedly had his penis hanging out, that he had to be pulled off her etc. This was just not true, and the paper should have showed some responsibility rather than write what they thought would sell papers. Fantasyland stuff I know, but the people who make their living writing this stuff really need to be brought to account.

The fact that he was charged, and what he was charged with are entirely reportable. However there is a difference between what he was charged with, and what someone tells a newspaper what they think they saw or heard, or what a reporter actually makes up.

This has nothing to do with legal action against the accuser.

BM1979

Juniors
Many sexual assault cases get aquitted due to lack of evidence for that reason only... you set a dangerous precedent if you allow real rape victims to be allowed to be sued when they are really just victims.

I agree that they shouldn't and just cause someone is found not guilty does not mean the accusations are a lie , it just means the prosecution couldn't prove the case beyond reasonable doubt.

My comment was directed to him saying that if it was proven a lie. If the accusations are proved to be a lie then the victim is Brett Stewart not the accuser.

BM1979

Juniors
That's right. There is a post earlier in this thread that mentions that he supposedly had his penis hanging out, that he had to be pulled off her etc. This was just not true, and the paper should have showed some responsibility rather than write what they thought would sell papers. Fantasyland stuff I know, but the people who make their living writing this stuff really need to be brought to account.

The fact that he was charged, and what he was charged with are entirely reportable. However there is a difference between what he was charged with, and what someone tells a newspaper what they think they saw or heard, or what a reporter actually makes up.

This has nothing to do with legal action against the accuser.

Didn't it state that the dad said his Penis was hanging out, I have not read everything in here.

Merdy33

Juniors
Didn't it state that the dad said his Penis was hanging out, I have not read everything in here.

Not sure who made that accusation. May have been the father, a proven fraudster. That alone should have been enough for the paper to show caution.

skeepe

Immortal
Did Anthony Laffranchi and his teammates ever get any apology. I remember News Ltd reporting it as a gang rape. Strange that since Laffranchi was the only one who stood trial, where he was found not guilty. Always hiding behind the word alleged.

I remember that.

Big headline that simply said "TIGERS GANG RAPE."

As far as I know, no correction was ever published.