What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton gets 12 weeks

Kaz

junior
cram said:
The counsel representing Newton had originally sought just a three match suspension, for an act many consider to be one of the worst in recent years.

Yes well thats taking it to the ridiculous stages.

Grant Butterfield said the tackle was on the same lines as the tackle Howell from the Dragons did on Karmichael Hunt earlier this year. :roll: :roll:

Howell got 3 weeks.

antonius

Coach
cram said:
As I understand it the prosecuting barrister for the NRL suggested that he should be given a reduction in penalty due to his previous good record. This is the same as the 25% discount.
This is word for word from the paper.

The Knights are at odds with the judiciary after the barrister for the NRL Mr Peter Kite recommended a 12 week ban with a 25% discount for an early guilty plea, bringing the suspension down to 9 weeks. This was Rejected by the judiciary because there was no base for an early guilty plea, because the case didn't have a grading.
So he didn't get a 25% reduction.

cram

Bench

The Knights are at odds with the judiciary after the barrister for the NRL Mr Peter Kite recommended a 12 week ban with a 25% discount for an early guilty plea, bringing the suspension down to 9 weeks. This was Rejected by the judiciary because there was no base for an early guilty plea, because the case didn't have a grading.

Thats why I believe that natural justice has been denied.

antonius

Coach
cram said:

Thats why I believe that natural justice has been denied.
The Knights are considering an appeal using that very argument

~bedsy~

First Grade
cram said:
The counsel representing Newton had originally sought just a three match suspension, for an act many consider to be one of the worst in recent years.

Yes well thats taking it to the ridiculous stages.
I agree... that's just stupid to think he would get that small of a sentence.

Knight76

Juniors
I dont have a problem with the judiciary disregarding the early guilty plea. I dont think there should be an early guilty plea.

But a long period of good behaviour should be noted especially if its the players first suspension.

12 weeks is harsh in my book. considering other incidents.

Timana's girl

Juniors
JoeysWheelchair said:
I think he got what he deserved, an aggressive shot with the elbow to the mouth/head. Give a bit of sympathy for the poor bloke that copped it, I'm sure if you were smashed in the face like that you would want the person getting a harsh penalty.

Ashton Sims was they guy he hit, and he didnt have a problem with clint at all. He said he knew there was no intent and even said he would give evidence in clint's favour. So, ashton didnt wanna see him get a harsh penalty at all.

macavity

Referee
This is what happens when we have weak, arbitrary institutions.

Illogical decisions made to pander to the media.

A bit like the NRL on the whole really.

antonius

Coach
It seems now according to TODAYS paper that the early plea was allowed (they've changed their story from yesterday) and his original sentance would have been 16 weeks but was reduced to 12!!!!! Can papers posibly report the facts the first correctly? surely that's not too much to ask. If in fact that's the case then I think he has been harshly dealt with 16 weeks is way over the top.

Kaz

junior
Tony

What paper was it reported in, was it the Newcastle Herald or whatever they call it now.

antonius

Coach
That's the one. Yesterday they said it was 12 weeks without a discount Today they're saying it was 12 weeks after a discount

astrogirl

First Grade
This is what the SMH has today:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/26/1093518006786.html

How Newton got hit the hardest
By Brad Walter
August 27, 2004

Newcastle forward Clint Newton is considering an appeal against his 12-match ban in the belief that the penalty is more severe than the suspensions handed to Danny Williams and John Hopoate.

While Melbourne's Williams received an 18-game ban for his king hit on Wests Tigers second-rower Mark O'Neill, his base suspension was 14 matches. In a complicated loading process it was increased to 24 matches for his poor record and then reduced by 25 per cent because of his guilty plea.

Newton's base penalty was 16 matches before the 25 per cent discount for an early guilty plea.

Unlike Williams, he had no prior record but still received the second-longest suspension in NRL history - equalling those imposed on Josh Stuart (North Sydney) and Hopoate (then Wests Tigers).

Hopoate, whose infamous finger-poking antics cost him a 12-game ban three years ago, disputed the allegations against him and did not receive any reduction in his penalty, while he also had past convictions.

If Newton had the same record as Williams, his suspension would have equated to 2720 demerit points, with each 100 demerit points worth a one-match ban.

After the 25 per cent discount, the 23-year-old Knights second-rower would have been outed for 20 games - two more than Williams.

"I can't work it out," said Newton's famous father, Jack, who gave evidence on his son's behalf on Wednesday night. "Obviously they [the judiciary] decided it was the worst tackle in the history of modern rugby league.

"It is not 12 weeks, it is 16 weeks they have given him. All the stuff about his good behaviour and early pleas, saying he's sorry and all the rest of it, does not seem to have had an impact on the three panel members. If Clint had a previous record he would have got a Les Boyd."

(Boyd was suspended for 12 months for breaking the jaw of Darryl Brohman in 1983.)

Even NRL prosecutor Peter Kite was understood to be surprised by the severity of the suspension after asking for a penalty of 1250 demerit points before the discount. That would have resulted in a nine-match suspension.

Kite told panel members Mal Cochrane, Mark Coyne and Darrell Williams the incident that resulted in Newton being sent from the field for elbowing St George Illawarra prop Ashton Sims in the seventh minute of last Friday night's match at EnergyAustralia Stadium was not deliberate, but highly reckless.

Comparing the incident with the ones involving Williams and Cronulla five-eighth Greg Bird, who kneed South Sydney's Shane Marteene earlier this season, Kite said that Newton's lay in-between.

Bird, who received a 10-match suspension, also attracted a 20 per cent loading for a previous high tackle charge.

"It sort of makes him out to be a thug and he is not," Newton snr said. "At worst it was unintentional, reckless. It was pretty obvious that their legal people agreed it was not intentional. I'm not quite sure what was going on with the panel. It is very disappointing."

Williams and Bird also received heavier suspensions than Kite had sought - indicating that the judiciary members have taken it upon themselves to get tough.

Newton's penalty would also suggest that they did not accept his defence that the incident was a shoulder charge that went wrong.

The injury to Sims, who was forced from the field to receive six stitches for mouth lacerations and treatment for three loose teeth, was taken into account by Kite in deciding Newton's offence was worse than Bird's.

"Given the prosecutor suggested nine weeks, they've obviously gone against his advice a bit," said Newcastle coach Michael Hagan. "We don't want to say too much other than we're disappointed and we will assess what grounds we have for an appeal in due course. I think it's fair to assume that Clint expected to be suspended but I don't know if he was thinking 12 weeks, and we as a club are disappointed for him because we would not have expected 12 weeks either."

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night defended the right of the panel to determine the length of suspensions.

"I am very comfortable with the process," Gallop said. "There's no requirement on the counsel to make a recommendation. It's there more as a guide. "The panel are experienced ex-footballers who are also experienced in the previous decisions of the judiciary and they're charged with the task of arriving at a penalty they believe is appropriate for the offence."

Dragons coach Nathan Brown also supported the decision.

"I think the judiciary has done a good job," he said. "I think it was a bad incident, whether it be mistimed or misjudged. All I hope now that he has got his penalty is that people let him do his time in peace and we get to see him come back next year and play some good footy."

Newton did not travel to Sydney yesterday with the Knights but will be at tonight's match against the Bulldogs.

If he is denied an appeal or an appeal fails, Newton will be out until round nine next year, unless Newcastle make the finals, as the ban includes two NRL sanctioned pre-season trials.

Kaz

junior
Will the Knights have to apply for Leave to Appeal.

If so they will have to hand over $10,000.

And if they are granted Leave to Appeal they will get the money back, if not they lose the $10,000

antonius

Coach
Anyone see 4 corners the other day about plea bargaining in the USA? It showed just what a crock it had turned the legal system there into. Now I know it's a far cry from criminal justice but honestly this early plea shit, is just that shit. Your either guilty or not guilty, getting discounts for early pleas is rubbish, why do we do it? Pleading guilty doesn't lessen what you did, so why does it reduce the sentance? Newton certainly deserved a long stint, but not as now reported 16 weeks. All this plea bargaining does is create confusion and dissention. Oh yes and gives the judiciary (not in this case) a night off. It's bloody crap. To top it off they then say it'll cost you to appeal ($10,000) and if the appeal isn't granted you lose your money. So what's that trying to do? I'll tell you, it's to discourage the appeal, Justice? Pftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

IanG

Coach
In light of this whole fiasco he might as well have king hit Simms cuz he would've got the same thing without form.

Kaz

junior
antonius said:
Anyone see 4 corners the other day about plea bargaining in the USA? It showed just what a crock it had turned the legal system there into. Now I know it's a far cry from criminal justice but honestly this early plea sh*t, is just that sh*t. Your either guilty or not guilty, getting discounts for early pleas is rubbish, why do we do it? Pleading guilty doesn't lessen what you did, so why does it reduce the sentance? Newton certainly deserved a long stint, but not as now reported 16 weeks. All this plea bargaining does is create confusion and dissention. Oh yes and gives the judiciary (not in this case) a night off. It's bloody crap. To top it off they then say it'll cost you to appeal ($10,000) and if the appeal isn't granted you lose your money. So what's that trying to do? I'll tell you, it's to discourage the appeal, Justice? Pftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tony

The Broncos know what the Justice is like in the NRL.

When they got the 2 points back, they said The Broncos, NRL & interchange official were all at fault.

But guess who were the only ones fined $75,000.

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the NRL or interchange official. :twisted:

BTW: I saw the 4 corners report, the stories were so bloody sad.

antonius

Coach
Kaz said:
antonius said:
Anyone see 4 corners the other day about plea bargaining in the USA? It showed just what a crock it had turned the legal system there into. Now I know it's a far cry from criminal justice but honestly this early plea sh*t, is just that sh*t. Your either guilty or not guilty, getting discounts for early pleas is rubbish, why do we do it? Pleading guilty doesn't lessen what you did, so why does it reduce the sentance? Newton certainly deserved a long stint, but not as now reported 16 weeks. All this plea bargaining does is create confusion and dissention. Oh yes and gives the judiciary (not in this case) a night off. It's bloody crap. To top it off they then say it'll cost you to appeal ($10,000) and if the appeal isn't granted you lose your money. So what's that trying to do? I'll tell you, it's to discourage the appeal, Justice? Pftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tony

The Broncos know what the Justice is like in the NRL.

When they got the 2 points back, they said The Broncos, NRL & interchange official were all at fault.

But guess who were the only ones fined $75,000.

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't the NRL or interchange official. :twisted:

BTW: I saw the 4 corners report, the stories were so bloody sad.
Yes they were weren't they? you and me are on the same wavelength Kaz. 8)

Latest posts