What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newtown pubs should put in

Henson

Juniors
Working in the hotel industry,knowing how much money is made via gaming machines,i find it astonishing only four yes only four Newtown pubs do ANYTHING for the mighty Jets!
Those pubs are Henson Park Hotel Marrickville Tavern,Warren View and The Carlisle Castle,forum members if your pub isn't here ask why.think of how many boozers are around Newtown Enmore the club could really do with that kind of sponsorship indeed.

Bluebag

Juniors
A lot want to be part but not spend any money, the power of the people can prevail, every time you go into a pub ask them are they a sponsor and get your mates to do the same.

Henson

Juniors
newtownbluebags said:
Whilst on the subject of Newtown pubs and perhaps for the amatuers of "architectural appreciation" much like myself - http://www.sydneyarchives.info/The_Newtown_Picture_Gallery/body_the_newtown_picture_gallery.html#pubs
newtownbluebags - man of "too" many interests!

Yeah NBB,the guy that collates that great pub list,Jon Graham,is a jets supporter also,he drives the double decker bus to Henson,and also took some fans to shark park last year,hasn't he done a great job on the list.fantastic i say

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
He's done a bloody fantastic job in putting all that together and deserves a big thank you! It's a great visual record of the areas pubs and a top site for anyone with a passing interest in Sydneys inner west! :) enjoy!

Most pubs seem to willing to rake all the money from the pokies without giving a cent back to the local community. Why do we need pokies in pubs?
Anyway, maybe we should draw up a list Jets friendly pubs that actually put their money into to keeping the Jets going!!!
Or even better, a naming and shaming of pubs that won't allow the flyers into the pubs so that Jets fans can boycott them!!! I've had that a couple times when I did the flyers in Petersham, the pubs won't allow them so I don't drink there any more!

Jeffles

Bench
Sponsorship is a business transaction. A lot of pubs don't want to sponsor the Jets becasuse they have commitments elsewhere, the club hasn't produced a suitable package or merely because their competitors have sponsored the Jets and cornered that market. So in a way I can understand why 50 pubs are not listed on the abck of the JBR.

My threshold comes with support for publicity. My local pub is not a Jets sponsor but they are always more than generous in allowing me to display posters, distribute stickers and flyers. Heaps of people from the Salisbury Hotel are Jets fans. So in a non-financial way, they support the club and help grow our supporters base. It costs them nothing and it boosts their goodwill. HPH experiences the same thing at his local - The Oxford Tavern in Petersham.

Pubs that won't even let you put a poster up or put flyers on the bar are a different kettle of fish. It's not like this club is a competitor, a money making shark or a terrorist cell. It's a community organisation and a source of civic pride. If they won't even help promote a noble institution then they can get stuffed.

I'm positive HPH has a blacklist!

Henson

Juniors
Yeah well said HPH,basically only 4 pubs do anything for the jets that being,the Hensonpark,Marrickville Tavern,WarrenView hotel,and the great ol Carlisle Castle hotel,please support these pubs. i don't think it would hurt the other 15 or so hotels to put in say 5 grand a year,they would get it back in taxes bloody well anyway,i'd say they are just a bunch of tightarse wankers who don't give a sh*t about the area in which they trade.

if you need pokies to survive in the industry,give up,pubs should be about food and grog,and hospitality and if you can't cut it get out of the industry and buy a tab,but in saying that they are not going to go away,the misery these machines cause is unbelievable.
So HPH has a point if your local won't support the Jets,go to one that does,and tell ya mates,stuff em!

Henson

Juniors
OH and now i've started,i've really got my blood boiling,was out at Hurstville the other day getting some bbq pork,and saw the pub that once was Shanney's,my friggen god this place is like star city,bloody pokies everywhere and more lit up than a seven eleven,then i looked above the door,it's owned by an ex jet,well,well,he could afford to throw a few bucks at the club,maybe...

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
I've met Steve a few times @ HP and he has without asking signed merchandise and spent time talking and been a thorough top bloke!,,I last seen steve reunion 2004 so he was on the scene then...I'm slighty removed by virtue of distance so maybe someone closer may know if he still puts in????

2 True Blues

Coach
Not sure about last season, but know he was on board in 2004 like ya said NB...and the presentation night was held there without most fans being invited....

Hope the Petersham RSL is still on board next season though, they have been a good sponsor and I enjoyed the presentation night there the year before...

Jeffles said:
HPH experiences the same thing at his local - The Oxford Tavern in Petersham.

Indeed I do Jeffles, along with some high profile Jets identities who end up keeping the bar propped up at closing time, long after I've left.... Of course!

The Salisbury does do a good job at helping the Jets out, however would it kill the pub to stick a few grand into the Jets?

Still think the Oxford should be our main sponsors, how good would it look having their logo of the semi naked lady on the front of the jersey? They'd be all the rage along King st in Newtown!

Jeffles

Bench
The following pubs sponsored the Newtown Jets Golf Day held today at Marrickville GC, on the banks of the Cooks Riviera.

Coopers Arms Hotel, Newtown
Kelly's on King, Newtown
Courthouse Hotel, Newtown
Carlisle Castle Hotel, Newtown
Royal Exchange Hotel, Marrickville
Tempe Hotel, Tempe

----

A few on that list aren't usually club sponsors. Further, the Town Hall Hotel in Newtown were at the Golf Day held earlier in the year. And other pubs that weren't there already sponsor us (listed above). So there is more support out there. It's about tailoring a package that is attractive to the hotel.

bluebag43

Juniors
Jeffles it's great to see some of the other local Hotels getting behind the Club. I think your "on the money" when you say its about tailoring a package that is attractive to a particular Hotel. The initial involvement in something they and their patrons are interested can lead to further involvement in other ventures/sponsorship arrangements!