What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Bringing back Monday night will make a nightmare of the draw. Clubs shouldn't have to put up with a five day turn around let alone potential four day ones. Just cross Sunday afternoon games, with FTA given the option in their region. We can get a QLD and NSW club every 4pm Sunday and they go live into their home state. If people want the choice they can get Kayo.

Iamback

Coach
Depends what level they go to with it. Saw a suggestion on Reddit of:

• E.g Thursday Night - Amazon Prime Exclusive
  • Friday 6pm, Super Saturday x 3, Sunday 2pm - Fox/Kayo Exclusives
  • Friday 8pm - CH Nine Exclusive
  • Monday Night - Stan Sport Exclusive
  • Sunday 4pm - Paramount+ Exclusive

This would be major overkill and would do more harm than good and you'd fall down the ARU paywall trap. If they were to do something like this for 20 teams:

Thursday 7pm - C9
Friday 6pm - Stan
Friday 8pm - C9
Saturday 3pm - Stan
Saturday 5pm - Stan
Saturday 7pm -C9
Sunday 2pm - Stan
Sunday 4pm - Stan
Sunday 7pm (WA/PNG games) - C9
Monday 7pm- Amazon

4x FTA Primetime + 5xStan + 1x Amazon

With Monday Night Football being an add on for all the fans who don't want the footy to end for the week. Whichever provider gets this will all of a sudden be the favourite of a lot of households that are looking to only get one extra subscription service.

Which would only cost at current prices - $27 (Stan) + $10 (Amazon) per month. The MNF may only get 100-200k switching over, but because of vertical integration, they'd be getting 100k-200k more customers for Amazon Marketplace. Which is worth a lot more than what a regular tv setup would pay for it. If they start shopping at Amazon instead of big box retailers, etc. All of a sudden each extra subscriber is worth monumentally more.

They do that model with the NFL, The difference is though. They are going with cities alone that have more population than here.

Is 400k watching going to move the needle for Amazon? If NRL start producing the content, possibly

Iamback

Coach
Jeeze that article sucks up to the afl in a big way

The reason the nrl is booming and worth so much to tv is purely because of pvl and abdo

Marks got sacked because his dealing with the nrl was so acrimonious

The afl deal is padded with 100 million pa full of contra like stadium improvements to docklands stadium by Telstra

On a cash basis the afl is around 520 million pa and the nrl should be getting more than that easily

If they want to pad on a hundred million of contra on top it won’t change the cash figure

Foxtel sale will be contingent upon retaining the nrl rights

Nrl has them over a barrell especially if stan bid good numbers

The rumours are ch7 can't afford to bid next deal, That is the stage the NRL doesn't want to get too

Perth Red

Post Whore
Jeeze that article sucks up to the afl in a big way

The reason the nrl is booming and worth so much to tv is purely because of pvl and abdo

Marks got sacked because his dealing with the nrl was so acrimonious

The afl deal is padded with 100 million pa full of contra like stadium improvements to docklands stadium by Telstra

On a cash basis the afl is around 520 million pa and the nrl should be getting more than that easily

If they want to pad on a hundred million of contra on top it won’t change the cash figure

Foxtel sale will be contingent upon retaining the nrl rights

Nrl has them over a barrell especially if stan bid good numbers
nonsense, the telstra deal isnt contra, its inkind service provision. And you nor I have no idea how much that is. AFL have stated their cash figure was avg $571million a year. On top of that cash there is $70mill contra (media advertising spend) and in-kind techno services from Telstra.
We'll see in 2024 annual report how much contra is included in their deal.

NRl current amount is $400mill (still questionable if that is all cash) plus $34.1mill contra.

In reality to overtake the AFL media deal NRL will need to land a $600mill + deal with most of it cash. Thats a 50%+ uplift on current media rights. If Vlandys lands that he really is a genius.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The clubs are the issue, How much do they want to accept PNG that offers minimal value to Australian TV
Theyre getting their hands on some of that overseas aid cash allegedly. They are short termists, they wont care. All theyll see is the rumoured $3mill backhander to say yes to PNG.

BuffaloRules

Coach
This current TV deal. While I don't think it was a bad one, Could of been higher but the aim was to expand.

So it depends what the next goal is, Say the offer they get is for a 30% raise now but the deal following that is only 20% more.

I am not sure they accept it.

I do think at some stage, Fox will run for example NRL on Sat, AFL on the Sunday. With Stan or someone the opposite.

Not sure that will bring in much more money but will be what they can afford

Cant agree about the current deal … they are on big unders ..

The way the NRL are charging headlong into expansion, and with the clubs already on board apparently after years of pushing back about “cutting up the pie into more slices” … leads me to think they have a good idea already that they are getting significant broadcast increases this time .,. I would suspect that involves a significant new player ( perhaps a streaming service ) getting some of the action

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cant agree about the current deal … they are on big unders ..

The way the NRL are charging headlong into expansion, and with the clubs already on board apparently after years of pushing back about “cutting up the pie into more slices” … leads me to think they have a good idea already that they are getting significant broadcast increases this time .,. I would suspect that involves a significant new player ( perhaps a streaming service ) getting some of the action
It is interesting they are pushing ahead with extra clubs before they know the next tv deal. Either they are very confident of the next deal or they are taking a gamble that more content will lead to a significant increase.

Wb1234

Immortal
nonsense, the telstra deal isnt contra, its inkind service provision. And you nor I have no idea how much that is. AFL have stated their cash figure was avg $571million a year. On top of that cash there is $70mill contra (media advertising spend) and in-kind techno services from Telstra.
We'll see in 2024 annual report how much contra is included in their deal.

NRl current amount is $400mill (still questionable if that is all cash) plus $34.1mill contra.

In reality to overtake the AFL media deal NRL will need to land a $600mill + deal with most of it cash. Thats a 50%+ uplift on current media rights. If Vlandys lands that he really is a genius.
Telstra isn’t part of the tv deal

Your fumbler mates tried to make up for an average tv deal by lumping it in with the Telstra garbage

I took out Telstra and their new tv deal will be around 520 million cash

Which we will beat

nko11

Juniors
They do that model with the NFL, The difference is though. They are going with cities alone that have more population than here.

Is 400k watching going to move the needle for Amazon? If NRL start producing the content, possibly
ESPN/Disney also pay $2.6 Billion per year for MNF. It's on a totally different scale, but if the model works there, it could work here. $80 Million per year is only 3% of that deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Telstra isn’t part of the tv deal

Your fumbler mates tried to make up for an average tv deal by lumping it in with the Telstra garbage

I took out Telstra and their new tv deal will be around 520 million cash

Which we will beat
Its a media deal. Just like ours is, ours includes radio rights as well.

How do you know Telstra are paying $50mill cash a year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Telstra is a phone company mate

This is a tv deal thread

Let’s keep it on topic
ok lets take the $5mill ch9 radio rights out of the NRl deal if we are comparing oranges.
Again how do you know how much cash the Telstra deal is? You clearly had no idea how much their in kind deal was.

Wb1234

Immortal
ok lets take the $5mill ch9 radio rights out of the NRl deal if we are comparing oranges.
Again how do you know how much cash the Telstra deal is? You clearly had no idea how much their in kind deal was.
Yeh 5 million being taken out is going to crush the nrl figures

It’s so funny seeing you get triggered by the nrl getting a better tv deal than the afl

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh 5 million being taken out is going to crush the nrl figures

It’s so funny seeing you get triggered by the nrl getting a better tv deal than the afl
when did that happen? Oh thats right in your head lol
you still havent answered how you know the Telstra deal is $50mill cash.

I very much hope we do land a much bigger deal, not for dck measuring but it will mean the game will have the cash the AFL does to grow the game across all facets. that will be a joyous day indeed.

Vlad59

Bench

I very much hope we do land a much bigger deal, not for dck measuring but it will mean the game will have the cash the AFL does to grow the game across all facets. that will be a joyous day indeed.
Such as this.

Wb1234

Immortal
you still havent answered how you know the Telstra deal is $50mill cash.

Game is growing without it

The tv deal is the cherry on top

More important will be future tv deals as expansion teams add to tv ratings and the gap to afl increases to 70 million