What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have asked prior which you still have not provided an answer as to the advert income to the respective Tv deals.Because you continue to make comparisons ,and as advertising revenue is the backbone of the Tv industry FTA wise and to a lesser
extent cable is an important consideration, when bagging a code for securing"lesser monies".IOW one Tv outlet is financially more funded than other due this factor.
Lets talk turkey then shall we.
Yes an AFL game has more opportunity for adverts which drives up value for FTA.
PTV primary source of revenue is subscriptions not advertising which it has little of during a game.

Ch7 has agreed to pay AFL somewhere in region of $185-200mill a year for 4 games
Ch9 pays NRL in the region of $85mill a year for 3 games ($115mill minus origin and radio rights)
Now does the 4th game and extra ads equal more than the $100mill plus a year Ch7 pay for AFL? I dont know the answer to that and I suspect neither do you. It seems unlikely given overall value of deals.

Now PTV. We know that the revenue comes largely from subscriptions. We also know that NRL on PTV rates significantly (20% plus?) higher than AFL.
Fox pay NRL $230mill ish a year and AFL in 2025 $300mill plus a year
If you can explain that one to me I'm all ears!

And again my fundamental argument is not that NRL should get more than AFL, I doubt we ever will as they are just a better run sport overall, but that the gap has now widened to chasm never seen before despite the NRL actually adding more value to Tv than AFL has done in the respective rights period.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m saying until the nrl does it’s next deal you can’t compare and you are trolling by doing so
eh? we did our deals in same period as AFL, so yes you can compare them. Sure when 2028 rolls around our deal will hopefully get better but that doesn't negate the deals the two codes signed for 2023>

Vlandys himself admitted AFL has now set the bar the NRL is going to try and achieve. Ignoring it wont make it go away!

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
eh? we did our deals in same period as AFL, so yes you can compare them. Sure when 2028 rolls around our deal will hopefully get better but that doesn't negate the deals the two codes signed for 2023>

Vlandys himself admitted AFL has now set the bar the NRL is going to try and achieve. Ignoring it wont make it go away!
You need a stronger dose of medication

Diesel

Coach
The afl deal includes more than just tv money. The Telstra deal clouds the water and then there’s contra. Whatever the afl says, take it with a grain of salt

Iamback

Coach
The afl deal includes more than just tv money. The Telstra deal clouds the water and then there’s contra. Whatever the afl says, take it with a grain of salt

I have posted this before, They source their figures yet say the 2 aren't able to be compared.

So why are people doing so to decide the NRL got a good deal or not?

Attachments

• IMG_1956.png
    IMG_1956.png
    549.8 KB · Views: 9

Perth Red

Post Whore
An extra 9 rounds to be fact.

He also doesn't mention AFL listed their deal as a total wheras NRL is 'just over $400m' for 2023.

You are adding onto that every year
Haha, you make some stuff up! It was announced as a $2billion deal over 5 years, a $400mill avg. not $400mill for just 2023 lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have posted this before, They source their figures yet say the 2 aren't able to be compared.

So why are people doing so to decide the NRL got a good deal or not?
the line in that article that ‘ nrl traditionallyFocuses on cash component of deals in its announcement‘ is blatantly untrue. The nrl has never announced a media deal as cash only amount. If they can’t get that right how much faith should we have in the rest of their article?

even with telstra and contra.
$643mill + radio
v $400mill + our digital revenue yearly avg deal is shthouse lol

they’ve said it’s an aVg $570mill cash a year. That would put tv component at around $530mill a year for tv alone At least. Can you see telstra paying more than $40mill cash for the digital management?

$530mill tv cash v $395mill tv cash (if that) yearly avg.
vlandys fcked it big style, stop being an apologist.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
They’ve been far more transparent than nrl with the announcements. They’ve never claimed it was tv alone, they’ve announced that the cash component is $4bill of the $4.5bill. They’ve listed all the things telstra is going to be doing for them.
And they report media revenue as seperate line item unlike nrl who bury it in financial reporting.

meanwhile we get, “cant let fox catch a cold” as our detail lol

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And on the is the $400mill announced cash only or cash and contra

Last tv deal 2018> ended up being around $355-360mill a year cash avg (announced as $360mill total a year + $20mill SkyNZ a year, contra was reported as $20-24mill a year in financial reports). Whats unclear is what Telstra paid in the >2018 deal and if they are paying anything in the announced >2023 $400mill total?

For this deal to be $400mill cash only (taking out the Telstra unknowns) it would mean that the entire $12mill extra from SkyNZ would have to be cash only (unlikely) and that Fox increased their cash payment by $28mill plus a year.

Last edited:
His continual not comparing like with like is redundant.He continues to revive a dead cat.

cat-chat-revive-chat-dead.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh two top level sports codes Tv deals in no way should be compared lol
Even Vlandys admitted he is using their deal as a bar now.

BlueandGold

Juniors
the line in that article that ‘ nrl traditionallyFocuses on cash component of deals in its announcement‘ is blatantly untrue. The nrl has never announced a media deal as cash only amount. If they can’t get that right how much faith should we have in the rest of their article?

even with telstra and contra.
$643mill + radio
v $400mill + our digital revenue yearly avg deal is shthouse lol

they’ve said it’s an aVg $570mill cash a year. That would put tv component at around $530mill a year for tv alone At least. Can you see telstra paying more than $40mill cash for the digital management?

$530mill tv cash v $395mill tv cash (if that) yearly avg.
vlandys fcked it big style, stop being an apologist.

This conversation keeps going around in circles.

Here is the AFL deal including money for Marvel stadium from Telstra.

AFL broadcasting cash in 2023 383m and 2024 397m.

Average Broadcasting cash over the next 5 years for the AFL is 440m.

NRL broadcasting cash over next 5 years 400m+ as per many reports.

Case closed move on people.

Attachments

• AFL 2025-2031 media rights compounding scale payments.png
    AFL 2025-2031 media rights compounding scale payments.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 22