What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The last 5 rounds in 2016 will prove that the pub game is dead in 2017

Different games on at 7.30 both on fox nrl and fox one + ch9 and gem

Would be a much better result. 4 channels punping out 2 different games at 7.30pm Saturday is way better than the stupid pub game

Desert Qlder

First Grade
All the details provided so far are the ones Nine and News want us to hear.

Final dollar amounts are yet to be confirmed but News are allowing Bec Wilson et al off the leash to distort the facts on platforms like SEN, where they lap that shit up. John Gibbs is an unquestioning plonk also.

2SM didn't even discuss it once this afternoon which I found interesting. They appeared to be actively avoiding reports.

There are definitely more interesting details to come yet.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Seems like the NRL have folded with pocket aces in their hand and it was only at the flop. Terrible decision to go so early and yet again fans get the raw end of the deal.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
In an effort to get News and AFL on the front foot of the propaganda war, her efforts were all about diminishing the NRL's final dollar amount in comparison to AFL.

It is in fact what she does on a weekly basis, where her and the stupid Victorians on SEN can circle jerk about how great AFL is, and snigger at Rugby League.

The thrust of what she was saying is that the 'people' will say how great the figure is when referring to the seven year figure. But that it includes $300 mill of money for the next two years. She neglected to mention that the NRL is already getting another $400 mill for the next two from the previous deal, of course.

If the News Limited figures are to be believed, I make it a $2.5 billion 7 year deal, there or thereabouts. But I am certainly waiting for NRL confirmation on this.

BuffaloRules

Coach
$300m extra for the next two years is nothing to be sneezed at when you consider it is almost doubling the amount to be paid for something that News and Nine already have the rights to..

Seems to be the face saving measure that News can hide behind for the general public announcement...

If Becs is admitting it then it must be a done deal.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
In an effort to get News and AFL on the front foot of the propaganda war, her efforts were all about diminishing the NRL's final dollar amount in comparison to AFL.

It is in fact what she does on a weekly basis, where her and the stupid Victorians on SEN can circle jerk about how great AFL is, and snigger at Rugby League.

The thrust of what she was saying is that the 'people' will say how great the figure is when referring to the seven year figure. But that it includes $300 mill of money for the next two years. She neglected to mention that the NRL is already getting another $400 mill for the next two from the previous deal, of course.

If the News Limited figures are to be believed, I make it a $2.5 billion 7 year deal, there or thereabouts. But I am certainly waiting for NRL confirmation on this.
You should've just posted this image, its pretty much covers anything she ever says.
7_8_11_MouthPoop.jpg

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
$300m extra for the next two years is nothing to be sneezed at when you consider it is almost doubling the amount to be paid for something that News and Nine already have the rights to..

Seems to be the face saving measure that News can hide behind for the general public announcement...

If Becs is admitting it then it must be a done deal.
If it's true, it puts the NRL TV money above the AFL for next year and helps cover the shortfall in 2018. Like you say, nothing to be sneezed at.

Roy80

Juniors
James hooper article on telegraph saying 1.825b is just nine and fox.
Big deal when throw in digital and international.
I guess that includes extra cash for next two years though, on top of current deal.

insert.pause

First Grade
Sounds like the 1.175bn includes Telstra, so the deal is 1.8b with the chance to hit $2bn with naming rights & NZ rights.

Seems a bit low considering they are getting this friday 6pm game

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
James hooper article on telegraph saying 1.825b is just nine and fox.
Big deal when throw in digital and international.
I guess that includes extra cash for next two years though, on top of current deal.
Hmm if Telstra hasnt been included in the rumored total we could be looking at $2.3+ total. Minus the $300mil for the next two years and were back at the $2bil we expected for the five years.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
fairfax say 1.175 includes telstra
Yea sounds right, bit of wishful thinking from me there. But its surprising naming rights weren't wrapped up with the rest. What if Optus jump in and Telstra and Fox have to broadcast the Optus premiership from 2018 on?

Latest posts