What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
When they say nine has recouped $300 mill does that mean they are now paying the NRL $625mill for the fta rights? And if so has the fox payment gone up $300mill to the NRL from what they would have offered without simulcast and the Saturday game?

According to above we have in the bag

Fox $1.175 billion
Nine $625million

I'm guessing they are expecting Telstra to pay $200mill to make up the $2bill? Seems light on for Telstra given they are getting $50mill of naming rights thrown in?

Good result from fox, fta ok, Telstra got it cheap if all correct. Tv fans with fox winners, fta fans not much better off, attending fans losers.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
When they say nine has recouped $300 mill does that mean they are now paying the NRL $625mill for the fta rights? And if so has the fox payment gone up $300mill to the NRL from what they would have offered without simulcast and the Saturday game?

According to above we have in the bag

Fox $1.175 billion
Nine $625million

I'm guessing they are expecting Telstra to pay $200mill to make up the $2bill? Seems light on for Telstra given they are getting $50mill of naming rights thrown in?

Good result from fox, fta ok, Telstra got it cheap if all correct. Tv fans with fox winners, fta fans not much better off, attending fans losers.

Surely that money just goes to the NRL and is subtracted from CH9. If it wasn't going to the NRL then fox have payed $1.475 billion with $300 going to CH9. Other business reports have said CH9 have shed capital exposures by reducing their NRL outlay with no mention of income from Fox that would bolster their share price.

AFL got $300million from Telstra. If we get $200 million that will be light on (especially if that includes naming rights).

Johnny88

Juniors
Telstra got exclusive digital rights to all 9 AFL games. However they would only get 5 exclusive games with the NRL as Nine has there 3 games streaming rights. So Telstra can talk down the deal.
Funny thing now is ch7 are trying to get the streaming rights for there online channels cant see Telstra giving them up cheaply.
Ch9 have done very well out of this deal thanks to D.Smith

boonboon

Juniors
So
Nine to NRL - $925 Million
News to NRL - $740 million (plus $160 to Nine)
Telstra to NRL for Digital - $200 million
NZ TV Rights to NRL - $150 million (assume includes other int rights)
So $2.015 bn which is more then the AFL deal which as well as starting earlier meaning it's of even more value.
If these numbers are right then NRL should bring back Dave Smith because he set this up like a genius but that was obvious from how News reacted to start with

Brutus

Referee
I should be happy, I've been pretty much predicting this since day one. I was really hoping to be proved wrong and to hear the announcement of expansion, a shift to more family friendly kick off times and a $ value more than the AFL got. Sadly looks like I was going to be right, so yes I am unhappy. Excuse me for not accepting mediocrity for our game like most on here.

I agree with you. Expansion would have been terrific and I cannot work out why the NRL have settled for this stupid 6pm pub game.

Fox Sports have been given what they wanted and should have been forced to pay more or concede more.

It all seems a little weak.

Anyway, we'll see what the press conference throws at us.

I just hope the NRL doesn't bow to the clubs. Let's see the entire game of rugby league benefit from the cash.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
Just remember last rights deal the reports were light to the tune of $200 million 10 minutes before the official announcement, hopefully this will also be the case this time around.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm really hoping that Grant addresses expansion in the press conference today.

If the $2 billion is the figure then the money is there and if not now when will they get a better chance?

Any chance that the Sunday night time slot has been left free for a ninth game sometime over the 5 years of the next deal?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Does it mean warriors are on every second friday?

I just dont see how it works and its a massive slap in the face of the games core fans that sctually get off their ass and go to games. If the warriors are made to play every second friday it would be massively unfair to their fans and likely see their average attendance tumble.

The other thing is they keep reporting queensland as the other host, but that would adversely affect the cowboys more than most clubs and the titans would be playing in front of pigeons at robina.

Personally i doubt i will ever even be able to watch it most weeks

Quidgybo

Bench
Any chance that the Sunday night time slot has been left free for a ninth game sometime over the 5 years of the next deal?
Bingo. For an extra $35m+ per year of course. And a seventeenth team could come in a number of seasons before that to stagger the impact on the pool of players and the quality of the competition.

Leigh.

insert.pause

First Grade
I just dont see how it works and its a massive slap in the face of the games core fans that sctually get off their ass and go to games. If the warriors are made to play every second friday it would be massively unfair to their fans and likely see their average attendance tumble.

The other thing is they keep reporting queensland as the other host, but that would adversely affect the cowboys more than most clubs and the titans would be playing in front of pigeons at robina.

Personally i doubt i will ever even be able to watch it most weeks

Where's the sympathy for Broncos fans under the current deal?

Raiderdave

First Grade
So
Nine to NRL - $925 Million
News to NRL - $740 million (plus $160 to Nine)
Telstra to NRL for Digital - $200 million
NZ TV Rights to NRL - $150 million (assume includes other int rights)
So $2.015 bn which is more then the AFL deal which as well as starting earlier meaning it's of even more value.
If these numbers are right then NRL should bring back Dave Smith because he set this up like a genius but that was obvious from how News reacted to start with

Hmmm
Great deal in terms of $$$$
Fox n Telstra 1175 billion
Nine 790 million
International 150 million

2.115 Billion

For 8 games ...
The AFL has been blown out of the water

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Where's the sympathy for Broncos fans under the current deal?

Honestly i couldnt see the broncos are ever playing in it as the powers that be will always reserve them for thursday or FNF

Why wasnt sunday evening given a run, anything is better than this friday 6pm. I reckon by 2022 the NRL will be averaging 13 or 14k given we are trading MNF for two other weekday slots! Oh and say goodbye to any increases in memberships as who wants to sign up for potentially half your games on week nights

And on expansion if they say the game doesnt have the finances to expand now, especially in queenslamd where i beleive we two more teams.

I am yet to see a good football related decision by the governing bodies. The stuff like education programs they have done excellently but scheduling, attendance, officiating and international footy has been horrible

insert.pause

First Grade
Honestly i couldnt see the broncos are ever playing in it as the powers that be will always reserve them for thursday or FNF

Why wasnt sunday evening given a run, anything is better than this friday 6pm. I reckon by 2022 the NRL will be averaging 13 or 14k given we are trading MNF for two other weekday slots! Oh and say goodbye to any increases in memberships as who wants to sign up for potentially half your games on week nights

And on expansion if they say the game doesnt have the finances to expand now, especially in queenslamd where i beleive we two more teams.

I am yet to see a good football related decision by the governing bodies. The stuff like education programs they have done excellently but scheduling, attendance, officiating and international footy has been horrible

I meant under the old deal which has had the Broncos play nearly every home game on a friday night, under the new deal the Warriors fans are no worse off than Broncos fans have been.

applesauce

Bench
I'm really hoping that Grant addresses expansion in the press conference today.

If the $2 billion is the figure then the money is there and if not now when will they get a better chance?

I hope they mention that the NYC will be upheld in whatever form (i.e. changed to under 23 or placed below QLD/NSW cups).

Money should not be a problem now and televised games, especially with a 24hr channel to fill will be continue to be a great advertisement for young players to get into RL.

boonboon

Juniors

I will think you will see Friday 6pm being played in
NZ- Where it is 8pm not 6pm so a normal Friday night game which will pull better crowds. THis will cover 12 weeks of Warriors home games and I would say 1 or 2 games from other teams

The others will generally be split between
Melbourne- where a 6 pm game is perfect given the location of the ground and the transport
Canberra- Where it is again easier to get to and also not as cold earlier in the evening

cleary89

Coach
Warriors supporters, how would friday night games go? I guess it puts them in prime time every second week.

Diesel

Referee
Does it mean warriors are on every second friday?

I'd say they'd get the majors of Friday night games but also regional areas may get some too. Not a fan of the timeslot. Kind of hoping that timeslot opens up a 2nd NZ team