What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Diesel

Referee
Warriors supporters, how would friday night games go? I guess it puts them in prime time every second week.

I think it's stupid, just think of how many rainy cold nights in May-August there will be, not family friendly like the Sunday arvo games

Incorrect

Coach
Unless something unexpected and completely amazing happens in terms of public sentiment and attitudes, I can't see the Friday 6pm slot lasting more than 1 season, 2 at a stretch... I think it'll eventually move to the Sunday evening timeslot or if the Warriors have a home game on a Sunday, you'll have your midday, 2pm and 4pm games....

Personally speaking, Friday 6pm isn't completely unpalatable as I work close to home and am generally home by 4:30pm so I could easily have dinner etc and be ready to sit down to watch a Friday night double header starting at 6pm... But for every 1 person like me there's probably 500 NRL fans who wouldn't have that convenience in terms of work commitments, commuting etc...

Everything else in the deal I like!

It will never happen, but I wish the Broncos picked up the Friday 6pm slot. As someone taking children to the game, if it has to be Friday that is a much better time. The current 7.50 or whatever kick off is far too late and the kids are already almost asleep by then.

TheRam

Coach
I dunno.

The length of their games & the extra ads are a huge factor.

That doesn't matter. Roy Masters wrote an article a few years ago breaking down all the differences between the AFL's longer, 4 quarter game and the NRL's greater reach in what the sponsors consider the far superior spending demographic of Australia (which gives them more bang for their buck) the part that sponsors care about the most. Add to that the NRL also has higher ratings, then there is no way that League should be getting anywhere near close to second best deals to the AFL's.

After all isn't advertising what it's all about?

docbrown

Coach
After all isn't advertising what it's all about?

The market determines the pricing. If I recall correctly it was $130,000 for a 30 second spot in the NRL grand final and $150,000 for the equivalent in the AFL. Most of these are taken up by the season long code sponsors.

TheRam

Coach
The market determines the pricing. If I recall correctly it was $130,000 for a 30 second spot in the NRL grand final and $150,000 for the equivalent in the AFL. Most of these are taken up by the season long code sponsors.

Once again, going by those figures, the NRL is way under selling itself.

We are the most viewed sport in the highest spending demographic in the country. Why the excuses?

docbrown

Coach
Once again, going by those figures, the NRL is way under selling itself.

We are the most viewed sport in the highest spending demographic in the country. Why the excuses?

Not an excuse just a fact. Arguing it otherwise doesn't make it less of a fact.

It's not determined by the NRL or AFL. It's the price that 7 & 9 set based on what they believe the market will pay.

You should consider that alone is a 15% difference. When you factor in an extra hour but minus the bleed it equates to around a 50 to 70% difference in the AFLs/Channel 7s favour. Across the season it's slightly less. It could be argued both ways that the AFL is underpaid or that the NRL is overpaid. But both have different strengths and weaknesses that overall keep them on par with each other. Neither is miles in front of the other at this point.

Big Salad

Juniors
Maybe they're waiting for Uncle Rupert's flight to get in so he can tell everyone how he really preferred league all along.

Last Week

Bench
It's amazing how quickly they can actually get a deal agreed to when everyone wants to. A couple of days of marathon negotiations. Amazing.

I'm hoping for this press conference as soon as possible. Lucky enough to be working today in front of a TV.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
So nines cost per hour are actually reducing... although news is the bad guy at the moment, remember ch9 has screwed us around for years as well, now they are getting a discount...

Nine's costs under the revised new deal will be $125 million a year including contra.
On that basis, Nine's costs per live hour of NRL have dropped from $633,000 to $521,000 under the new deal.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...m-nrl-bill-20151126-gl8yig.html#ixzz3sdeIQd2j
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook