What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next year

hgfds

Juniors
According to the sun-herald
rlif meeting in leeds monday of big 4 ,world cup 2007-8 in oz
roos to play in new zealand and new york next oct
penrith to play a french team prior to the wcc

Ron Jeremy

Coach
If the world cup was to be played in Australia & New Zealand it would be a huge success considering the very much League orientated fans in Queensland, NSW & there are many in NZ...plus the proximity of PNG & the south pacific sides means fans wouldn't have to travel far.

Add to the fact that there are many poms, Irish etc in Australia & for those fans wanting to travel from the British Isles it would be very affordable considering the price of the pound.

I see many positives & it's about time the ARL became more proactive & showed some initiative.

Stevo_G

Juniors
due to cricket world cup and union wc in 2007 have a four nation centenary tournament in aus, aus v nz v gb v world

and in 2008 have a 10 team world cup in aus,png and nz

hgfds

Juniors
Suppose we will have to wait for the 7s for a full rlif meeting,maybe south africa and png can pick up a few crumbs then.

roopy

Referee
The game in America is the best thing we could do for the growth of the game in that country, and we are doing it right.
We are giving them over a year to publicise the game, and it is being played right in the middle of the area covered by the fledgeling US comp.
If the AMNRL can get 3 or 4 thousand of the 10,000 or so Rugby players in the New England area along to the game they will see RL in all its glory, and if 2 or 3 hundred of those guys decide to give league a try in the union off season, which is when league is played in america, it will double the size of the AMNRL in just one day.

The only way they could do it better would be to do this right at the start of the AMNRL season, but that isn't possible.

iggy plop

First Grade
roopy said:
The game in America is the best thing we could do for the growth of the game in that country, and we are doing it right.
We are giving them over a year to publicise the game, and it is being played right in the middle of the area covered by the fledgeling US comp.
If the AMNRL can get 3 or 4 thousand of the 10,000 or so Rugby players in the New England area along to the game they will see RL in all its glory, and if 2 or 3 hundred of those guys decide to give league a try in the union off season, which is when league is played in america, it will double the size of the AMNRL in just one day.

The only way they could do it better would be to do this right at the start of the AMNRL season, but that isn't possible.

Read in the paper today that you can get up to 100,000 bucks a year for playing league in the U.S.

Richie Barnett is currently exploring the option.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
iggy plop said:
roopy said:

Read in the paper today that you can get up to 100,000 bucks a year for playing league in the U.S.

Which paper was that in? Well if it's true, another professional competition in the world is great for the game.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Along with the US deveolping the game in Russia is a MUST. Would be great for inter. RL and imagine the rivalry of a USA V Russia game.

roopy

Referee
iggy plop said:
roopy said:

iggy - i'd love to read that article.
I have heard the figure mentioned before as part of the pro league the americans have been trying to set up for the last few years.
The whole thing requires a TV deal and a big sponser to get off the ground, but the plan would than be to buy 4-5 fringe firstgrade players for each of the 8 pro clubs - or up to 40 players - for up to 100,000 US each, and make up the rest of the team from american gridiron and union players who would be keen to earn some dollars from the game (obviously far less than 100,000).
I have heard so many rumours for so long about the pro comp that I won't believe a thing till i see something official - but it is good that the americans think big.

bazza

Immortal
roopy said:
iggy plop said:
roopy said:

iggy - i'd love to read that article.
I have heard the figure mentioned before as part of the pro league the americans have been trying to set up for the last few years.
The whole thing requires a TV deal and a big sponser to get off the ground, but the plan would than be to buy 4-5 fringe firstgrade players for each of the 8 pro clubs - or up to 40 players - for up to 100,000 US each, and make up the rest of the team from american gridiron and union players who would be keen to earn some dollars from the game (obviously far less than 100,000).
I have heard so many rumours for so long about the pro comp that I won't believe a thing till i see something official - but it is good that the americans think big.

It was a small article in Danny Weidler's page in the Sun Herald. It said that former Sharks player Sean Ryan was going to play over there for money. Didn't really give any details though

deluded pom?

Coach
Ryan won`t be going anywhere for at least 12 months unless he can get a release from his contract with Castleford.

Latest posts