What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next years team

legend

Coach
Is going to look vastly different to the one we see today.

Could be a new dawn but there are going to be a lot of changes either way.

This is how I see the 2007 side lining up according to Neil Henry:

Chalk
Best
Graham
Howell
Frawley
Carney
Dunemman
Tongue
Tom LL
Turner
Thompson
Withers
Logan

Miller
Weyman
Zillman
Thurling

Tilse
Kahler
Lomu
Purtell
Goodwin
Williams
Jones
Dobson
Kelly

Macko8

Juniors
Neil Henry has been saying he would like to cut the current squad down to 25 for 2007 and leave it at 25, this will probably be his toughest job to do next year in naming a 25 man top squad but also leaving it at 25.

Backs: Phil Graham Bronx Goodwin
Adrian Purtell Brett Kelly
David Howell Craig Frawley
Colin Best David Milne
Marshall Chalk(utility also) Junior Sau

Halves n Hookers: Todd Carney Andrew Dunemann
Michael Dobson Terry Campese(also utility)
Lincoln Withers Ryan Hinchcliffe(also utility)
William Zillman

Forwards: Ben Jones Willie Raston Michael Weyman
Kris Kahler Troy Thompson Jason Williams
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs Trevor Thurling Glen Turner
Andrew Lomu Dane Tilse Tony Pamatangi
Josh Miller Alan Tongue Scott Logan

Raider_69

Post Whore
f**ked if i know how Neil Henry will have them run out in round 1... all i know is how id like to see it at this stage and i can only hope Henry agrees:

Goodwin
Best
Graham
Howell
Chalk
Carney
Dobson

Tilse
Withers
Thompson
Tom LL
Turner (was against it to begin with but thinking now, will compliment TLL quite nicely)
Tongue

Zillman
Miller
Weyman
Thurling

----
Kahler
Turner
Dunemann
Purtell
Frawley
Jones
Logan
Hinchcliffe

Macko8

Juniors
Im going With

1. Chalk
2. Frawley
3. Graham
4. Goodwin
5. Best
6. Carney
7. Dobson
8. Thurling
9. Withers
10.Thompson (c)
11.Learoyd-Lahrs
12.Miller
13.Tongue

14.Weyman
15.Jones
16.Turner
17.Raston

18.Tilse
19.Zillman
20.Lomu
21.Kelly
22.Sau
23.Campese
24.Kahler
25.Logan

Dunemann will start. Its that simple, there is no doubt in my mind that Henry has had some input into this signing. Surely they would have had some sort of conferencing over the signing of players and the strategic vision for the future. I for one am still hopefull that Dunemann is infact a good signing in that he can bolster the defensive qualities of our halves. Carney and Dobson in the halves would be a pair of turnstiles in the first 20 minutes IMO.

Can Dunemann successfully play hooker? With Withers as the main hooker he will need a break and hopefully Dunemann can slot into hooker. The main talking point however will be if Henry can succesfully implement this strategy in the form of other successful interchange halves. If it develops such that Dobson and Carney are the most influential halves and can improve their defensive capabilities then so be it, Dunemann deserves to be in PL in that case. Saying that however, I will reserve my judgements on both he and Logan until they run out on the paddock in 2007.

You guys whinge and bitch that we don't sign anyone and when we sign virtually the only players availbale you get up management too. Sure I would love to see us nab a marquee player but all we need is an efficient coach who can get the best out of our players, we need experience to do this. None of us would have heard of Dobson if he wasn't in green and we would probably be bagging his signing aswell. He is young yes and in my opinion he definelty deserves to have a shot at 1st grade in 2007. It is up to Henry to see what he can get out of both these young and experienced players.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ive said it once and ill say it again

not signing marquee players is bad enough, but then to compound that by signing ESL nobodies (who here honestly looked at the esl off contract list and thought "Logan and Dunemann would go down a treat"?") is even worse

there is a happy medium, this is where we should be concentrating, the colin best's, luke macdougalls

not superstars by any stretch but solid signing

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Furner is on record as saying that Zillman will start in the #1 next year.

I don't believe that Dobson will start or even end the season in first grade, unless there are serious injuries.

Timbo

Staff member
Bloody hell, cutting to 25 makes it tough. Also the signing of Dunemann makes it even more complicated finding spots for all three of the young halves.

Well here's my predicted 25:

1-M.Chalk
2-C.Best
3-D.Howell
4-P.Graham
5-C.Frawley
6-T.Carney
7-A.Dunemann
8-S.Logan
9-L.Withers
10-T.Thompson
11-T.Learoyd-Lahrs
12-G.Turner
13-A.Tongue

14-D.Tilse
15-M.Weyman
16-J.Miller
17-W.Zillman

R-A.Purtell
R-B.Goodwin
R-M.Dobson
R-J.Williams
R-K.Kahler
R-B.Jones
R-T.Thurling
R-W.Raston

raidz3r

Juniors
i would like to see either chalk or goodwin given a run in the centres..we have huge depth in the fullback position so why not turn one of them into a centre. i think they will both do an awesome job..far better replacements for mogg than howell.

Stuart

Juniors
My side would be

1-Goodwin
2-Howell
3-Graham
4-Purtell (Frawley or other)
5-Best
6-Zillman
7-Carney
8-Thompson
9-Withers
10-Tilse
11-Tom LL
12- Croker (is he staying? if not Turner)
13-Tongue

14-Miller
15-Weyman
16-Thurling/Logan/Turner
17-Dunemann/Dobson

Chachi

Bench
Too hard to call without seeing Turner, Dunemann, Logan, Miller and Dobson for the past 12 months or more and with a question mark still over Lomu and Croker.

It's certainly going to be interesting...good young players with a few old heads here and there...will we end up like Souths or like the Storm??

I can't wait!

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Tokyo_Raider said:
Furner is on record as saying that Zillman will start in the #1 next year.

I don't believe that Dobson will start or even end the season in first grade, unless there are serious injuries.

I don't know if you've seen Dobson lace up for Wigan or not but if you haven't you should try and catch a game. The kid is awesome from what I've seen, he really attacks the ball and has a killer kicking game. I think we'll definitly see him in firsts, maybe not to start the season but at some stage.

Edwahu

Bench
It will be interesting to see what happens with Frawley. He isnt exactly standing out in PL from what I have heard.

Some interesting selection dillemas with Zilly and Goodwin both arguably must picks on current form. Dobson has done all he can in the UK and Dunemann seems a sure thing for the bench at least.

1. Zillman
2. Goodwin
3. Graham
4. Howell
5. Best
6. Carney
7. Dobson
8. Tilse
9. Withers
10. Thompson
11. TLL
12. Miller
13. Tongue

Res:
14. Dunneman
15. Chalk
16. Thurling
17. Weyman

P.S - Those who are saying Dunneman and Logan are nobodies, probably said the same thing when we signed Smith and Adamson. Let's wait and see how they turn out before jumping all over them.

edabomb

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
P.S - Those who are saying Dunneman and Logan are nobodies, probably said the same thing when we signed Smith and Adamson. Let's wait and see how they turn out before jumping all over them.

I was happy with the signing of Smith, but I'm definately not happy witht he signing of Dunneman. There are a few factors in this:
- Jason Smith was a top 10 player in the NRL before he left, and a Queensland and Australian regular.
- Dunneman struggled to make any sort of impact in his initial NRL stint. He was as consistent as McLinden.
- We needed experience in the halves 2005, I'm not so sure we do now. Dobson has had a successful stint in the ESL and Carney is now a FG ready footballer.

I don't have a problem with the signing og Logan though.

julian87

Juniors
1 William ZILLMAN
2 Colin BEST
3 Phil GRAHAM
4 Marshall CHALK
5 Craig FRAWLEY/David HOWELL
6 Todd CARNEY
7 Michael DOBSON
8 Scott LOGAN
9 Lincoln WITHERS
10 Troy THOMPSON
11 Thom LEAROYD LAHRS
12 Jason CROKER
13 Alan TONGUE

14 Josh MILLER
15 Michael WEYMAN
16 Glen TURNER
17 Andrew DUNEMANN

18 Adrian PURTELL
19 Bronx GOODWIN
20 David HOWELL/Craig FRAWLEY
21 Andrew LOMU
22 Dane TILSE
23 Trevor THURLING
24 Ben JONES
25 Terry CAMPESE/Alan ROTHERY

I am starting to like David Howell more and more as a winger, though i see him and Colin Best as too similar to have on each wing. I like to include Frawley because in form he adds a bit of strength and speed to the backline.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Walt Flanigan said:
I don't know if you've seen Dobson lace up for Wigan or not but if you haven't you should try and catch a game. The kid is awesome from what I've seen, he really attacks the ball and has a killer kicking game. I think we'll definitly see him in firsts, maybe not to start the season but at some stage.

I watch as many ESL games as I can, and I've seen Dobson a few times. Fine player, with a heap of potential.

I hope we see him in grade next year, but he might be a little down the list. I think we will see Tongue, Dunneman, Carney, Zillman and Withers cycling through the 9 - 7 - 6 before Dobson gets a start.

aussies1st

Staff member
All depends how Zillman goes in transferring to fullback. If he goes through the trials all good then he can start as number 1 if not he'll have to be in the halves.