What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Offseason Rumours and Updates

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Who are the "others"?

I wil get you started, the NFL's very own Marcia Hines, Tony Dungy is another. Dungy thinks I will succeed and save the world too.

"I don’t think Tebow can play in a pro style of offense – not quarterback. ... If you’re going to take Tim Tebow, and you’re going to say ‘OK, I’m going to have him be our quarterback,’ you might as well get rid of your coaching staff and hire a spread offense coach. So bring in a new coaching staff – bring in Urban Meyer with him, and run that style of offense if he’s going to be your quarterback. Because he can’t play in a pro style of offense." - Jimmy Johnson

Good piece here.

Tuesday likely marked the first and last time Tim Tebow’s name was mingled with that of former NFL cancer Lawrence Phillips. But one AFC executive found a way to draw the comparison, while trying to shed light on how hotly debated the University of Florida quarterback will be in the months leading up to the 2010 NFL draft.

“Just from the standpoint of deliberating, he’ll probably be one of the most picked-over guys since Lawrence Phillips,” the high ranking AFC personnel man said of the former Nebraska running back and eventual NFL flameout taken with the sixth overall pick by the St. Louis Rams in 1996. “Obviously, when I say ‘picked-over,’ it’s solely from a football standpoint. Phillips was more about, you know, the human being side of it. But for the time and effort spent on a decision, arguing it and going back and forth, [Tebow] is going to be way up there. There’s going to be a lot of [consternation] to come to a decision.”

Paullyboy

Coach
I've only seen the last couple of games Tebow has played, but after watching the game against Alabama it became pretty clear that a fast defence will cause him a lot of headaches. Having said that, I think his arm is under-rated, he had a few good passes dropped cold in that game, and from memory a couple of them would have been massive plays too.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
did flutie have that much success though? he was pretty much a second string qb until he signed with the bills, and then after the bills never recaptured that form

It's probably why I had "success" written as such in my post.

p.s. At age 40 odd, he replaced the current bandwagon hero Drew Brees at San Diego. That counts for something right? :lol:

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Tony Dungy to Buffalo? (source espn.com)

Back in November, there was a rumor that linked the Buffalo Bills' coaching vacancy to Tony Dungy. Dungy indicated he was happy in his current job as an analyst and in his player development role with the league, but that the idea of rebuilding a once-proud franchise was enticing.

In an appearance on Friday morning on the Dan Patrick Show, Dungy had two revelations: he was contacted through a third party regarding the Notre Dame position prior to Brian Kelly's hire, and an NFL team -- that he would not name -- placed a call with him on Thursday.

We know that the Bills are basically going on the "whatever it takes" philosophy in hiring their next coach, so perhaps the call to Dungy this week -- speculative, of course -- was to sweeten the deal they may have offered him in the past. This is wildly hypothetical, but mindful of the fact that the team needs a QB, and this year's crop of draft picks is relatively weak, perhaps the Bills have an interest in both Dungy and his mentoree, Michael Vick. Speaking about Vick earlier this season, Dungy called the Bills a "dark horse" candidate to acquire him for 2010.

At the very least, if hired by the Bills Dungy would get to choose his own receivers coach. Maybe he'd bring this guy along.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The Eagles have good trade history with the bills, they seem to work well with each other on the trade table. I'd Mike Vick to be traded, perferably for a LB or DE or a pick... we've got a heap of picks, but one more to package and try and move up the board to take either a top LB or DE in round 1 would be nice... given i think we'll be picking from around spot 23

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Source: ESPN Insider

It's been a subject of debate all season, and now with just a month left of NFL football, the chatter has picked up: will the San Diego Chargers retain LaDainian Tomlinson for 2010?

Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune thinks that Sunday's game will be Tomlinson's last regular season contest for the Chargers, and urges fans to wear their No. 21 jerseys en masse.

Sullivan breaks the Chargers' conundrum down as follows: the team owes LaDainian a $2 million roster bonus in March -- as well as $3 million in salary -- if they retain him in 2010. If they release him, they owe $1 million in a buyout clause. Based on Tomlinson's diminishing performance, the choice seems obvious.

We now know that the Denver Broncos will be without wide receiver Brandon Marshall when they take on the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday -- thanks to coach Josh McDaniels' deactivation of the polarizing wideout -- but according to NFL Insider Adam Schefter, they might be without him a lot longer than that. As in forever.

On "Sunday NFL Countdown", Schefter said, "it's possible Brandon Marshall has played his last game for the Denver Broncos." Schefter notes that the team is unlikely to ink Marshall to his much-desired lucrative extension, but that he will have suitors. Unfortunately for those suitors, since Marshall is a restricted free agent following this season, his new team will surrender a first and third round draft pick in exchange for him.

As much as Marshall's off-field behavior became an issue for the current Broncos' administration, his on-field performance may be enough to get that big money elsewhere. We'll be interested to see who pops up in the rumor mill, but you can expect the receiver-bankrupt teams (the Ravens, for instance) to get involved.

Big Tim

First Grade
lol

If Cutler is the guy throwing you the ball, you normally play for the other team :p

Raider_69

Post Whore
lol

If Cutler is the guy throwing you the ball, you normally play for the other team :p

Actually after today its like a 50/50
with TDs and no INT, he finished up with 27 TDs and 26 INTS :lol::lol:

ohh jay.... deary me

Tom155

Coach
i think it should be stickied great place for all the draft FA other rumours during the offseason instead of starting a new thread each time

yeah sounds good.

aparently Zorn was fired at 4 in the morning their time.

as for Tomlinson, i would say if san diego went all the way he would retire.

if not...id say he stays for another year. he still knows how to score a TD so may aswell keep him and use more sproles and bennett. we will have a late draft pick in the first round anyway so we wont be replacing him with a gun prospect.

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
yea sticky it ab
be good to have somewhere to keep track of draft, fa and trade rumours

abpanther

Staff member
Done

Schefter reported a week or so ago that the 49ers would trade one of their 1st round picks for Brandon Marshall

Latest posts