What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL PLAYOFFS: ROUND 2

Bomber

Bench
Well, we know that nothing has changed since last season.

Pats Pats Pats Pats Pats Pats Pats Pats

My brother saw a bit of the game and commented on a sign someone had in the crowd (aimed at Manning, I presume):

Make
Vacation
Plans

A question for the pundits: Has an African-American quarterback ever started a Super Bowl before? Because it's gonna happen this year (McNabb or Vick)

sunny

Doug Williams started in Super Bowl XXII for the Redskins, steve mcnair in xxxiv for the titans, thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

Cupid Stunt

Broncodroid said:
"PS: Ben Burger is a BUM!'

Rookie of the Year QB who just had arguably the greatest rookie QB season of all time who remains undefeated and in his first AFC Title game...some bum :roll:

YES, he had a shaky first playoff game, alot of GREAT QBs had had poor playoff games, look at Peyton Manning, Brett Favre etc. He will be better for the experience and will look forward to meeting the Pats at home.

You could have left the smilie on the end of that quote. Or even taken it into account. It was more a shot at Steve who I thought would have been all over this thread after the Steelers lucky escape. But although I know he's not a bum, he still isnt a "special" QB for mine. I think baby Manning will be a bust but I also think even he would look better than average playing out of Pittsburgh. As someone else mentioned, his stats are fairly ordinary but collectivly the team wins & I know I'd rather have that then a situation like Colts fans. It's just a shame Rivers spat his dummy, of the three QB rookies this year he was a lock for the "real deal" IMO.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm not prepared to write off Manning Jr yet, despite his diabolic year. He would want to improve quickly in 2005 though...

I haven't seen Rivers play a down yet, so can't really comment on him other than his college hype was impressive.

Being a Bills fan, I'm hoping that Losman can turn out to be something ( another rookie QB who went in the first round) .... god knows we are going to need someone to be ready to step up for Bledsoe next year.

Broncodroid

Juniors
A naive person would write off Manning Jr. He earnt rookie of the week honors in week 17 and got his first win under the belt...whilst the year was a stinker, he joins Troy Aikman and others who were stunk it up in their rookie seasons. He will head into training camp as the legit starter in 2005/06 and will prove his critics wrong IMO.

I think Ben can learn from last week and play better. The Pats look tough, but the Steelers defense is much better than the Colts', so I'm hoping for a good game.

Disco

Bench
F**kin Colts, another year with so much promise ans another year gooooone

well....................Go Vick i spose

Mambo

Juniors
I have full confidence that the Burgh will beat NE.

Its destiny. NE will team up on Ward so Bettis and Staley pound and pound with the 1-2 punch. Then NE will realise they have to try and stop the run and the ball goes straight back out to Ward. Thats exactly how Ben has brought about his 16-1 record.

legend

Coach
NE love the cold and have the ability to stack up against the run or the pass. I don't think NE will buy into the play option from Big Ben and will still blitz all day knowing their secondary are good enough for man to man coverage in most cases.

Pittsburgh will need to do more than run against NE.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Let's keep in mind, the Steelers were able to knock off NE in this impressive winning streak. Most USA sports books have the Steelers as the underdog despite being at home to the Pats.

I am of the opinion the Pats are STILL the best team in football and will prove that when they win their 3rd SB in 4 years.

Their defense is superb, they stuff the run with a group of athletic LB's, and even without Ty Law, their corners have that ability to keep their man in check as evidenced last weekend.

Tom Brady is clutch, he has not lost a playoff game in his career. Corey Dillon is having a career year and makes the Pats passing game that much better as the playaction actually means something now.

An interesting stat from PTI last night...Bill Belichick is 13-0 when returning to play against NFL QB's who have beaten his team in the first game during the season. Roethlisberger beat him in the regular season, history tells me the Pats are winning this return game.

As for the NFC, T.O. may be returning. HUGE news though after watching Atlanta dismantle the RAMS in all facets of the game, I am tipping Atlanta to head to the SB with Vick who is unbelievably GREAT, almost Madden football like in ability :lol:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Here are the Stats from the first meeting between Steelers/pats

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...ge=nfl/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=1219

The obvious difference for mine is the rushing yards.... New England had a measly 5 yards compared to the Steelers 221....

The key to this game will be what impact Dillon can have for New England.....

I haven't made up my mind about this one yet...

I hate picking against the Patriots, they deserve to be respected based on their past record.

I like the Steelers because of their skilled offensive players and running game....but those Vegas oddsmakers usually seem to get it right...

Defenses seem pretty even to me....

I can't wait for this game... I need to take a sickie on Monday I think... ;-)

Cupid Stunt

This is the Pats time of year. They dominate through the regular season but this is where they PLAY football. The 'Burgh, although sentimental faves as I'd love a Steelers V Iggles SB, just dont know whats about to hit them. BB is the single gretaest factor on that team & will be what thrusts them in to the big game at supersonic speed.

Atlanta V Philly will be the game to either go OT or be a blowout I think, no normal type win here. Philly NEED to come out scoring quickly for the sake of a cushion. I realize most teams would like that but Vick just isnt the kind of guy you want to be in a shootout with come fourth quarter. I think he is a less than average QB but one of the best athletes to play the game. Neither teams WRs aren't much to talk about this year, though Peerless is due for a big one sometime. RBs I feel cancel each other out. Westbrook probably shades both Dunn & Duckett but collectivly D & D Vs Westbrook & Levens comes out about equal. So it's a battle of the Ds & I think Philly have the edge here. Tipping the scales is Kearse but all in all I just feel they are stronger across the board.

Game MVPs: T. Brady. I'm looking for him to pick apart a Steelers D.

L.J Smith. He showed early in the year what he can do & with Westbrook getting a lot of attention I think he may just step back into the spotlight.

Latest posts