What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - A couple of people let us down yesterday

Megalomaniac

Juniors
This is once again a reminder of why I left the Newcastle forum back at its original site.

Two words:
- Disappointing
- Morals

roopy

Referee
SydneySwan said:
This is once again a reminder of why I left the Newcastle forum back at its original site.

Two words:
- Disappointing
- Morals

I think that is a very harsh call.

The title of the thread says a FEW people let us down, and most of them have admitted they went a bit far.

This place probably has close to 200 or so regular contributers, and just about all of them are decent people.

From my experience every forum has a wide range of posters including a few bottom dwellers - but this section has less than most would be my judgement.

Megalomaniac

Juniors
roopy said:

The title of the thread says a FEW people let us down, and most of them have admitted they went a bit far.

This place probably has close to 200 or so regular contributers, and just about all of them are decent people.

From my experience every forum has a wide range of posters including a few bottom dwellers - but this section has less than most would be my judgement.

I wasn't going to say it but I will now. Prior to the shutting down of our forum, a bulldog supporter came in and started bragging about their team, as you do. However, rather than making a simple request for them to stop, some did otherwise. I agree, it wasn't all the members, but bloody oath, it lasted for over 10 pages. They abused this member by not only disintegrating their team, but on a racial level. Racial abuses were put forward as they enjoyed every excruciating moment it was for me to see what was written. I was disgraced to be a Newcastle fan since that day onwards as a minority (hopefully no more than that) stooped the fan base down to its lowest level. There is a line that should not be crossed and it had been crossed.

And here I have just joined to see that it had still continued really disappointed me. It is also here that I see that they may be calling those who have to cop this as being "whingers" and so forth, but what they don't realise is that sometimes comments that may seem funny to them, may not be funny to those who are on the receiving end. This calls to morals. Yes, fans may give us a bashing, but hey, is it necessary to stoop down to their level? Morality says no.

roopy

Referee
SydneySwan said:
I wasn't going to say it but I will now. Prior to the shutting down of our forum, a bulldog supporter came in and started bragging about their team, as you do. However, rather than making a simple request for them to stop, some did otherwise. I agree, it wasn't all the members, but bloody oath, it lasted for over 10 pages. They abused this member by not only disintegrating their team, but on a racial level. Racial abuses were put forward as they enjoyed every excruciating moment it was for me to see what was written. I was disgraced to be a Newcastle fan since that day onwards as a minority (hopefully no more than that) stooped the fan base down to its lowest level. There is a line that should not be crossed and it had been crossed.

And here I have just joined to see that it had still continued really disappointed me. It is also here that I see that they may be calling those who have to cop this as being "whingers" and so forth, but what they don't realise is that sometimes comments that may seem funny to them, may not be funny to those who are on the receiving end. This calls to morals. Yes, fans may give us a bashing, but hey, is it necessary to stoop down to their level? Morality says no.

I remember that thread, and while I personally didn't think it was funny, I think most of the contributers were poking fun at racial stereotypes, and I had serious doubts about the authenticity of the object of all the derision as well - basically, I thought he was play acting and everyone was going along with the game.
I haven't got the best sense of humour in the world, so I generally don't find that sort of thing funny, but a lot of it goes on in every forum I have been on, and young people especially love to push the boundaries of good taste and 'political correctness'.
I don't think people would be doing it if they didn't see it as 'funny'. By that, I mean they wouldn't be launching into tirades of hate etc in a 'serious' thread, or offer digotry etc as a 'serious' viewpoint.
The Knights forum is no different to others, and better than most in this regard.

antonius

Coach
I think you are singling out a minority and lumping everyone into the same catogory. As Roopy said every forum has their rat bag element, the old Knights forum was mild compared to most others, this place also is pretty civil in that respect. By the way what was your sig on the old forum?

Doctor

Bench
I haven't got the best sense of humour in the world, so I generally don't find that sort of thing funny, but a lot of it goes on in every forum I have been on, and young people especially love to push the boundaries of good taste and 'political correctness'.

While I don't put some posters in the same category as the people from CNNNN, few will criticise the Chaser team for crossing standards because it is done in humour and not due to racial or gender prejudices.
I don't remember the thread you're talking about, but I can handle people having a sattircal go at stereotypes, especially in football. But if it does get personal, or it does cross the line of acceptability, then sure, certainly I'd like to see the thread removed and people informed.

This forum won't get out of hand because there are too many moderators around to miss anything - you've got admin and moderators from other sections coming in here too just to poke around - that is a positive of this site - the old Knights forum had one moderator.

As for Ozzie's olive branch - perhaps I'm more willing to reconcile than others but I'm accepting of it. While I don't think Ozzie has done anything really to offend me, I like to see people sort out the issues that form barriers to communicating. If Knights V Roosters history is causing people concern then you need to sort it out - likewise if someone makes a comment that you don't agree with then you sort that out also.

While Ozzie won't change my opinions on the Roosters club, and most of their supporters (bear in mind online communities are not a true indication of fans' behaviour), I can appreciate that there are decent Roosters fans around - hopefully things can repair, without getting so warm and fuzzy that we start barracking for each other's team.

misty

Juniors
SydneySwan said:
roopy said:

This is all I can say about this post....... :-({|=

Matt23

Staff member
I've decided to accept Ozzie's olive branch, and have since apologised to ozzie and the other rooster mods for any offence that i have caused,I will try and be more respectful in the future. My views have not changed on the roosters, but i am willing to be respectful towards genuine rooster fans ( Cogburn & co, not included).

Megalomaniac

Juniors
antonius said:
I think you are singling out a minority and lumping everyone into the same catogory. As Roopy said every forum has their rat bag element, the old Knights forum was mild compared to most others, this place also is pretty civil in that respect. By the way what was your sig on the old forum?

I agree with both yourself and roopy - it's only a minority. However, like I said before, minorities usually drag the whole group down with them. Take this incident for instance. From what I've read in this thread, it seems like everyone was attacking the Roosters base. But as Ozzie said, the majority are decent supporters, yet the minority of our Knights supporters attacked the whole group. If this can happen to the Roosters, it can happen to our fan base too.

However, there was another element to my disappointment. Original_Chook, you haven't seen the thread and you're lucky to not have seen it. I am not a person from that group of people who were attacked in that thread, yet I still felt insulted and demoralised after reading it. That was the extent of some of those comments. And as you also said, once it crosses the line, something should be done. For me, I wrote a post in an attempt to stop it. Instead, I ended up being on the receiving end of another Knights member's attack. When I informed Wayne, he immediately removed the thread, but what surprised me was that it went on for a couple of days, and not a single person had informed Wayne of it.

But hey, what’s in the past is in the past. As much as I am disappointed, this is after all, my personal opinion. This was just triggered after reading how the Rooster fans were treated. By the way, if I have offended those of you who weren’t involved in the thread, I sincerely apologise. The posts only reflect my personal feelings to those who degraded that Bulldogs supporter in that thread, not the whole Newcastle base.

And also…apologies antonius, I can’t reveal my old name…but what I can tell you is that I’m not BF :)

ozzie

Bench
Matt23 said:
I've decided to accept Ozzie's olive branch, and have since apologised to ozzie and the other rooster mods for any offence that i have caused,I will try and be more respectful in the future. My views have not changed on the roosters, but i am willing to be respectful towards genuine rooster fans ( Cogburn & co, not included).

may I add Matt23 - your pm was greatly appreciated by myself and the others..good on ya - and we decided to give you the yeah of the day...

don't be a stranger -

cheers and I wish your club all the best for next year..

Sweeper

Juniors
ozzie said:
may I add Matt23 - your pm was greatly appreciated by myself and the others..good on ya - and we decided to give you the yeah of the day...
Don't hold your breath waiting for more... :eek: