What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - A little help?

Samwise

Bench
so i have this bullsh!t assignment to do for uni where i have to analyse a business strategy failure. problem is i cant think of jack.

i was going to do Ansett, but half the class is doing that.

it needs to be a company that has had a failure due to either poor management of product cost or failed market differentiation. so that rules out all the fraud case like enron, one.tel, etc. the bigger the company is the better as there would be more information in the news about it.

so anyone got any ideas? i'd appreciate some suggestions.

Cheers, Sammy.

Leasha

Juniors
I dont know, but would something like HIH be appropriate? It all comes down to your definition of the strategy failure and how it occurred... maybe even if that isnt a good one, there is something else out there that is along those lines!

antonius

Coach
Samwise said:
so i have this bullsh!t assignment to do for uni where i have to analyse a business strategy failure. problem is i cant think of jack.

i was going to do Ansett, but half the class is doing that.

it needs to be a company that has had a failure due to either poor management of product cost or failed market differentiation. so that rules out all the fraud case like enron, one.tel, etc. the bigger the company is the better as there would be more information in the news about it.

so anyone got any ideas? i'd appreciate some suggestions.

Cheers, Sammy.
Pasminco is a classic example of the Buisness brains getting it completely wrong, The Newcastle plant closes next week, there are other circumstances involved in it's closure (enviromental issues) but the whole company is in dire straights due to their borrowing strategy, Has caused them to be Millions of dollars in the red. All has to do with borrowing at US rates then our dollar goes up and they are stuffed, I'm no accountant but it's something along those lines.

Encurly

Juniors
Another one for you: Mayne group. Originally a logistics company - think Armagard among others. Saw the writing on the wall - everone's starting to be paid electronically, so not as much demand for Armoured cars.

Had a share in Optus when it started up, got out of that at a loss. Also moved into health care - buying up private hospitals and pathology labs. Now they're trying to get rid of the hospitals, apparently because they're not making money. Meanwhile the share price has halved.

Or something a bit more entertaining: Big Kev's. Seemed to be motoring along all right until he floated the company. Now Woolworth's stocks two of his products instead of 12 or more, the shares have plummeted, and investors want to convert it into a property investment company. There's been a few stories on that in the last couple of months.

legend

Coach
One Tel is another. BT is another business failure who have been gobbled up by Westpac.

AMP, GIO, FAI Insurance. The list is endless. :lol:

legend

Coach
BTW, does it have to be Australian business failure? You have Enron energy in the U.S, TYCO, the U.S govt. :lol:

Grantwhy

Juniors
Just how wide does the term 'Business' cover?

North Sydney had a good idea in going upto to the Central Coast but poor execution of the plan.

ok - not a big enough business ;-)

antonius

Coach
Grantwhy said:
Just how wide does the term 'Business' cover?

North Sydney had a good idea in going upto to the Central Coast but poor execution of the plan.

ok - not a big enough business ;-)
LOL, North Sydney were ripped of by the Manly Sea Eagles, along with with all the players of that Intentionally failed merger.It had nothing to do with a failed plan. If Norths had of been left alone, I reckon the Central coast would have adopted Norths as their own. We'll never know.

Samwise

Bench
cheers guys, i finally found a few decent journals on one.tel so i'm going with them.

thanks again for the suggestions

roopy

Referee
A little late i know, but I just saw the extra-ordinary meeting of the 'Big Kev' cleaning products business on TV.
They haven't gone bust yet, but they are heading that way, and it should be a great study in how a small business can't get enough market exposure to compete with the big boys.
The company might even give you information if you asked.

One classic quote from a disgruntled shareholder, 'I can't even find big kev products on any supermarket shelf anymore, can you?'

It seems to be a tale of someone who found a niche in the market, listed the company and tried to get into the bigtime, and failed miserably because of ...............(insert reasons here).

knightsgal85

Juniors
Samwise said:
cheers guys, i finally found a few decent journals on one.tel so i'm going with them.

You'll find that the One.Tel collapse is an interesting saga. I actually had to complete an assignment from the accounting & financial viewpoint last semester. The best source for information I found were journals. All the best with the assignment Sam.

Latest posts