What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - CD recommendations

astrogirl

First Grade
I'm going to head down to HMV today or tomorrow to buy myself some new music. Anyone got any recommendations? My taste in music is fairly diverse so any suggestions welcome. I most recently bought Pete Murray and Matchbox20, both not bad.

ATM I am considering the new Powderfinger CD, the new John Mayer, what else?

snapper

Juniors
Just got the Jet Cd and its not too bad. Its right up the rock revival alley and plus there a Melbourne band so its a good choice because you'll be supporting Oz music. If you dont know who they are, they sing 'Are U Gonna Be My Girl.' Its good to see your into Pete Murray and Powderfinger aswell. 'Vulture Street's just got good song after good song.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

I recommend NOT going to HMV to buy music. You can buy 3 new release CDs at JB Hi-Fi for the price of two at HMV. And it's just a 5 minute walk down the street from the other.

Anyway, the latest Iron Maiden CD is supposed to be pretty good. But Powderfinger isn't too bad if you're into Matchbox 20 type music.

astrogirl

First Grade
Thanks for the replies. I'm getting a little bored of my music - I listen to CDs all day while I'm working and it's definitely time for some new and different stuff :D

Hmmm. Although my taste in music is not very defined, I admit that the only radio station I listen to much is Nova 96.9. Could be the reason why I'm not familiar with some of the bands etc that you guys have mentioned. ROB ZOMBIE? the Jet? limp bizkit? (heard of them but can't place their stuff)

snapper, what sort of music could I expect from the Jet? I do tend to like Australian bands/artists/whatever.

Danish Moo Cow, I'm not sure if there's a JB HiFi in the city (I live in Sydney). I used to work in Parramatta so I know there's one there, but that's definitely too much of a trek! (Even for a girl who loves driving!)

princess plj

Juniors
hmm powederfinger is good.....the new knickleback cd came out yesterday (cannot wait to purchase that one)

i have actually just realised i have bought in the last 2 weeks 3 cds- mathcbox 20, pete murray, powderfinger and now i am going to by knickleback.

Sorry, didn't think that you weren't here. I know JB has a store in Bankstown and all around Sydney. But seriously, look in to going somewhere other than HMV. It's just not worth paying the extra $$$.

snapper

Juniors
Jet play a pretty raw stripped back sort of rock. Pretty basic stuff but very good all the same. I'm not sure if they're on the Nova playlist or not (as I listen to Triple J and dont get Nova up here in Newy). There CDs called Get Born' so if you go down to HMV listen to these couple of tracks

Track 2. Are U gonna be my girl (which u may have heard on the radio)
Track 9. Cold Hard Bitch (sounds like something Limp Bizkit or Puddle of mud would do but I can assure u it is much cooler.

And no I am not from there record label although I wish I was, it would beat the hell out of working on Air Conditioning.

Also do Merrick & Rosso still do brekkie on nova(ex jjj boys)
and have u seen there TV show?

Samwise

Bench
latest cd i bought was You Am I's latest best of the cream and the crock. its a winner. other than that resin dogs just released a new one which i havent heard yet but i'm betting will be killer.

bronnie34

Juniors
I was going to suggest Jet's Get born CD, I got it when it came out last monday and it rocks! Are you gonna be my girl is awesome and has been recieving lots of airplay (even Nova) which is great for an Aussie bands first CD.
Magic Dirt are also a pretty good band and are worth checking out.

Big Tim

First Grade
The Butterfly Effect - Begins Here

These guys are a young group from QLD. They play a nice rock style and are a little more heavy than Powderfinger but not over the top. These guys have just finished a tour which covered almost all of Aus, and while they were here in Newie I met them and they are a great bunch of blokes. This is there first cd, if you want something cheaper you can pick up there EP for around $12 which has 6 songs on it. I cant even suggest that you download some of there stuff, cos they are so new that they arent even on Kazaa yet. As you can tell I like these guys as the cd has been in my cd player for 6 weeks straight and it will remain there till someone steals it.

MC DUI

Juniors
If all you guys love aussie rock go out and nab FRONT END LOADER these guys go so hard. 8)

Also PACIFIER/SHIHAD is berry nice. :D :D :D

astrogirl

First Grade
snapper said:
Also do Merrick & Rosso still do brekkie on nova(ex jjj boys)and have u seen there TV show?
Yeah they do do nova in the mornings. Haven't seen their show though, have you?

astrogirl

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
Sorry, didn't think that you weren't here. I know JB has a store in Bankstown and all around Sydney. But seriously, look in to going somewhere other than HMV. It's just not worth paying the extra $$$.
Thanks for the advice anyway. I don't live in Newcastle but my parents are there and I lived there for about 17 years so deep down I am a Newcastle girl.

I know HMV is overpriced but I go there for convenience. It's just down the street from my work and their range in the Pitt St store is huge.

snapper

Juniors
Astrogirl,
Yeah I saw there show last week.Not that exciting really. They just sit around and tell sometimes funny anecdotes in response to the audiences questions. You may like it if you think they are the 2 funniest guys on the planet, but if not, maybe give it a miss.
As for the Butterfly Effect Tim. I've heard 'one second of insanity' and a couple of there songs off there E.P. and I have to agree that from what I've heard of them they've got a great sound. I may go buy there CD on your glowing review.

I'd have to agree with MC Dui on Shihad/pacifier. They are probably the best live band I've seen(ive seen them 4 times). Did u see them on the footy show? Frontman Jonny Toogood ran and jumped on the desk in front of all the panel before leaping into the crowd and getting some punter to hold his mike so he could sing and play guitar at the same time.
I think Fatty and the boys had never seen anything like it.
F#!k it was cool!

Big Tim

First Grade
Look out for a Butterfly Effect song called Beautiful Mine. Others I like alot are Consequence and Without Wings. Basically as I have said, this album is brilliant and these guys kick ass.

Big Tim

First Grade
I heard the song Consequence on JJJ the other day. So the Butterfly Effect are getting some airtime now.

I also bought The Long Road by Nickelback. I must say it very good music to hear after tonights game, it is very loud and angry. Overall about a 7/10. Good buy at K-Mart for only $21 though.

Latest posts