What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - CD recommendations

astrogirl

First Grade
Finally had some time to go purchase some music today. I bought the latest John Mayer and Jet.

Quite pleased about the cost (at $21.99 each from Sanity and HMV respectively, not bad huh). It will take me about a week to give a verdict on either CD as it usually takes me a little while to decide.

BigTim2, I did see the latest Butterfly Effect CD at HMV - quite reasonably priced too. Will have to hear a sample of their stuff before I consider buying it, though I doubt I'll hear it if it's only playing on JJJ! I'll be listening for it anyway.

Alex28

Coach
My Recommendations:

* The Cream & The Crock - You Am I (get the double cd if you can)
* Thirteenth Step - A Perfect Circle
* Get Born - Jet
* Youth & Young Manhood - Kings of Leon
* Turn on the Bright Lights - Interpol

A Perfect Circle is an outstanding album - not as good as Mer De Noms from a few years ago though. New Muse out on Monday and a B-sides album by Doves in a few weeks time...

But best album of the year by a long way is Hail To The Thief by Radiohead. If you do not have this album GET IT!

And Mc Dui - Front End Loader indeed kick arse...Last of the V8 Interceptors and How Can We Fail When We Are So Sincere? are fantastic albums...

astrogirl

First Grade
Alex28, I thought you were going to bag me about buying John Mayer (PS this is not an invitation!)

Alex28

Coach
astro...i didnt see your post...

john mayer is a very weak musician who writes god awful lyrics...but each to their own...

if you like that kinda stuff - try ben harper or jack johnson or even pete murray. similar stuff with actual meaning...

keeney

First Grade
Dave matthews band - Listener Supported, Live at Luther College, Crash
Phish - Lawn Boy
Widespread Panic - 'til the medicine takes
BEn HArper - live from mars
Jason Mraz's new album, forgotten the name
anything by Dream Theatre

Chances are that you wont find any of these in most music stores, bar Live from amrs, which is everywhere. Pretty pointless listing them, but yeh

astrogirl

First Grade
Alex, I like Pete Murray. As for Jack Johnson and Ben Harper, I've only heard a little bit of their stuff and I wasn't particularly interested.

I bought one of the CDs from your recommendation list yesterday (Jet). Other than You Am I, I haven't heard of the others. I'm not really a You Am I fan myself, but as you say, each to their own. I have their Hourly Daily but I don't love it.

astrogirl

First Grade
snapper said:
Its good to see your into Pete Murray and Powderfinger aswell. 'Vulture Street's just got good song after good song.
snapper, I finally got the Powderfinger CD today. Also bought a song that's dorky but I love it - "Move your feet", by Junior Senior.

Danish Moo Cow said:
I recommend NOT going to HMV to buy music. You can buy 3 new release CDs at JB Hi-Fi for the price of two at HMV. And it's just a 5 minute walk down the street from the other.
HMV can be overpriced but atm they have a lot of CDs at 2 for $45 which isn't too bad. But yeah, from what you say JB HiFi is probably still cheaper.

*melliez*

Juniors
astrogirl said:
snapper said:
Also do Merrick & Rosso still do brekkie on nova(ex jjj boys)and have u seen there TV show?
Yeah they do do nova in the mornings. Haven't seen their show though, have you?

I watch their show every week, it is pretty funny!

I just got tickets to their live show, we look great in jeans. It is on again for two more nights on the 10th and 11th of December.

I can't wait! Is anyone else going to that show?

Oh and on the topic of CD's, I suggest anything by The Ataris. I love this band, I seem to plug them a lot. The best albums would be..

Blue Skies Broken Hearts Next 12 Exits
End is Forever
So Long Astoria

All of those ones are awesome!

Alex28

Coach
A few more suggestions :)

* Lost Dogs - Pearl Jam - B Sides and Rare tracks over their career...got it yesterday - has some amazing stuff on it...
* Best of REM - If you can get the double CD pack, get it. It's rare as hell and has some kick arse stuff on the 2nd disc...
* Absolution - Muse - very cool English band...

princess plj

Juniors
i love reading what everyone one else is listening to. i have such diverse taste in music it goes from one extreme to the next. besides what i posted ages about recommendations such as pete murray, powderfinger, matchbox 20 and nickleback.

more recommendations are:
bon jovi- this left feels right: its a remix of their greatest hits
christina agulira- stripped, not bad either if u are into that stuff
best of rem
alex lloyd

Doctor

Bench
REM - Best of REM (Greatest Hits from 1988-present).

If you're an REM fan, like me, you'll probably find that you will know 80-90% of the songs just from listening to the radio. You may also find (as I did) that REM's best songs are in this time period anyway.

The only two songs that they didn't include (because they are pre-1988) are 'Its the end of the world' and 'The one I love'.

As you can see I quite like REM. :D

astrogirl

First Grade
plj said:
i love reading what everyone one else is listening to. i have such diverse taste in music it goes from one extreme to the next.
Me too, on both counts.

plj said:
best of rem
alex lloyd
plj have you got Alex Lloyd's new album? If so, how would you rate it? And how does it compare to his first 2 albums? I have Black the Sun and the second one (name escapes me at the moment).

John Mayer has been my favourite for a while - as far as I know I have all of his music - 3 albums, 1 live CD and his DVD :D

Sunk Lotos new album came out the other day and it goes off.. Its a lot heavier than their previous stuff. The best australian band by far, they rip all over those airy fairy silverchair twats.

:lol:

Nah. Daniel Johns will be as good a song writer as John Lennon by the time he's 40. He's already got Bono calling him the best songwriter alive. And I don't even like Silverchair that much.

I will get that Pearl Jam CD tomorrow. Uni is over for me and I have time to burn. I've got a few DVDs I have to catch up on watching, but there's now time for everything.

Godz Illa

Coach
This is a great thread. I'm compelled to chuck in my two cents.
Recent great CDs that I've bought.
Muse - Absolution: huge, soaring album. Like Radiohead when they used to be good.
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below. Even if you dont like hip-hop I still recommend this.
Pink - Try This. Im serious. This is damn good. The new Janis Joplin.

And I'll chuck in some good Aussies: Jet, Pnau, Resin Dogs.

keeney

First Grade
the only decent song by pink is the one written by beck, and its only good becos its written by beck, janis joplin wrote her own songs.

BUt...

Dave MAtthews BAnd - listener supported
" "- live at luther college
" " - crash

ben harper - live from mars

ernest ranglin - i think its titled many roots, but i could be wrong, its a song from it tho

counting crows - august and everything after
" " - Hard candy ( is not bad, but is being known by the public by that one shit cover fo big yellow taxi)
" " - soon to be released best of album

RHCP - ONe hot minute
" " - Blood sugar sex magic

The essential Bob Dylan
" " - Highway 61 revisted
" " -Blonde on Blonde
" " - Blood on the tracks

allman brothers band - live at fillmore east( which has just been pressed on cd with new track and digitally remastered)

BEst of REM, but its already been mentioned

Jimi Hendrix - Live at woodstock

anything by APhex Twin, who will be at BDO this year

Van morrison's new album - whats wrong with this picture (not bad)

Porcupine Tree - In absentia

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Manu Chao - Clandestino
" " - Esperanza

there are more but i am bored now

princess plj

Juniors
astrogirl said:
plj said:
i love reading what everyone one else is listening to. i have such diverse taste in music it goes from one extreme to the next.
Me too, on both counts.

plj said:
best of rem
alex lloyd
plj have you got Alex Lloyd's new album? If so, how would you rate it? And how does it compare to his first 2 albums? I have Black the Sun and the second one (name escapes me at the moment).

John Mayer has been my favourite for a while - as far as I know I have all of his music - 3 albums, 1 live CD and his DVD :D

astrogirl: i have alex lloyd's watching angels mend which i really liked. i have heard some songs from distant light but am going to buy the cd. i have to listen to it properly and then will let u know. but from what i have heard i like but will let u know :)

Alex28

Coach
George_Illa said:
Muse - Absolution: huge, soaring album. Like Radiohead when they used to be good.
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below. Even if you dont like hip-hop I still recommend this.
Pink - Try This. Im serious. This is damn good. The new Janis Joplin.

good god...where do i start...

muse better than radiohead? no way dude...listen to Hail To The Thief. Best album of the year by a mile. Absolution is good but not great.

Outkast? Speakerboxx isn't their best album - it's pretty ordinary...

How do you like good acts like Pnau and Jet and then call Pink the next Janis Joplin? There is no way...

Sweeper

Juniors
astrogirl said:
snapper said:
Also do Merrick & Rosso still do brekkie on nova(ex jjj boys)and have u seen there TV show?
Yeah they do do nova in the mornings. Haven't seen their show though, have you?
yes... that Merrick and Rosso unwatched show

Latest posts