What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - Davis Cup Final 2003

Do you believe Australia will win this year's Davis Cup?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters

knightsgal85

Juniors
Hooray it has finally arrived! (Well, not quite ;-) )

It should be noted that the Davis Cup is not the only thing at stake during the final, which commences tomorrow. If Spain win the final, Australia will be demoted to a year-end rank of third, and Spain will be the number one ranked nation. However, should Australia reclaim the Davis Cup, Spain will remain at fourth place, while Australia will be the number one ranked nation.

After weeks of speculation as to which combination Spain will opt for, they have decided to remain with their two highest ranked players in Juan Carlos Ferrero and Carlos Moya for their respective singles rubbers. The draw eventuates in the following sequence:

Friday (from 11:00 a.m.)
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) v Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
Mark Philippoussis (AUS) v Carlos Moya (ESP)

Saturday (from 2:00 p.m.)
Wayne Arthurs/Todd Woodbridge (AUS) v Alez Corretja/Feliciano Lopez (ESP)

Sunday (from 11:00 a.m.)
Mark Philippoussis (AUS) v Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) v Carlos Moya (ESP)

Well, we are in for one fantastic 3-day weekend, and what better way to begin a Friday morning on Rod Laver Arena, featuring a re-match of this year's US Open Quarter Final in which Juan Carlos Ferrero defeated Lleyton Hewitt quite convincingly in 4 sets, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5), 6-1.

It has to be noted that Lleyton Hewitt has not competed in eight weeks on the tour, to cure a troublesome wart on his right foot, but moreso to focus on this upcoming tie. Juan Carlos Ferrero has been disappointing in recent weeks, especially his performances at the Tennis Masters Cup in which he lost all three of his matches. An interesting statistic to keep in mind is that Lleyton Hewitt currently has a 51-11 lifetime win/loss on grass, whereas Juan Carlos Ferrero's win/loss record on grass stands at 6-4. This is Lleyton Hewitt's opportunity to make amends for his loss to Juan Carlos at the US Open, which to date, is their most recent encounter.

Remarkably, when Carlos Moya clashes with Mark Philippoussis, in the second rubber, it will be Moya's first match on grass for almost 18 months. The surface will be one of the decisive factors coming into play during the final, although this plays to the Australians favour.

The doubles encounter on Saturday afternoon will be an absolute thriller! Who could forget that emotional and gutsy performance to give the Australians a 2-1 lead in the Semi Final against Switzerland, and in which Wayne Arthurs had a sensational match (barring the first game of the first set). Provided Day 1 ends at 1-rubber all, the doubles encounter will prove all the more vital.

Sunday's reverse singles could very well mean the substitution of players, so Feliciano Lopez may face either Mark Philippoussis or Lleyton Hewitt, depending upon whether the tie is still alive, and how the players have fared in their matches thus far. You would presume if there is still a race for the Davis Cup, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Carlos Moya will both play.

Don't forget that you can catch all the action live on Channel 7, as it promises to be one of the finest Davis Cup Finals in years. First up is the much anticipated encounter featuring Lleyton Hewitt and Juan Carlos Ferrero. Lleyton Hewitt has dismissed Spain's claim he lacks match practice, but all will be revealed tomorrow, when we can more appropriately give our final verdict, but he "firmly believes" that he will get us 1 rubber up ( see: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,7992882-23216,00.html ).

astrogirl

First Grade
It starts tomorrow? I won't be able to watch it! Does anyone know of a website where I can get live score updates from?

MC DUI

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
:lol:

We "accidently" played the wrong anthem for Spain! I love it.

:lol: :lol: Quality, I hope we give em' hell, they were such pricks to us in Spain.

AUSSIES TO GIVE IT TO EM'!!!! 8)

mark was getting cained by moya he was down 5-1 he is now down 5-3 and is serving. If he wins this serve he has to break moya again to get back on.

Providence

Juniors
If body language is a gauge for success, then Phillipousis is going to lose.

He seems to be lethargic and isn't trying 100% to reach the 50/50 balls, etc.

The Spaniard is definately looking stronger.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Providence said:
Lleyton Hewitt just beat Juan Carlos Ferrero 3-6, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6, 6-2.

Well, what better way to commence a Davis Cup Final with an epic 5-setter, which brought back memories of the courageous victory Lleyton Hewitt displayed against Roger Federer in the Semi Final. It was an exhausting battle, lasting almost 4 hours, but to much delight of tennis fanatics. The fourth set tiebreak was definitely the decisive factor that swung the match in strong command into Australia's favour. It was an unbelievable performance by Lleyton, preventing Juan Carlos from even snatching one point during the tiebreak, winning it 7-0. All of the momentum was with Lleyton throughout the fifth set, grabbing two break points, to post a convincing 6-2 finish to an awesome opening match.

However, we have to give some praise to Juan Carlos, as when you analyse the match as an aggregate, it was such an even contest. During the first 3 sets, it would be fair to say that Juan Carlos was in control, and had all the momentum. Total points won overall ended at 164 to 151 in favour of Lleyton Hewitt, after trailing in this department for virtually the entire match. Lleyton Hewitt's second serve let him down immensely at certain stages during the match (especially the 7 double faults), only winning 54% of points on offer. The third set was a marathon, but to Juan Carlos Ferrero's credit, he managed to consolidate the break point with 2 aces to secure the set, and to attain a 2 sets to 1 lead. Too many uncharacteristic errors by Juan Carlos, during the fourth set tiebreak and the fifth set, gave Lleyton the leading edge. Juan Carlos did prevent Lleyton from attaining one break point in the decider after trailing love - 40, but in the end it was not enough.

I salute you Lleyton Hewitt!

Hopefully, Flip will manage to continue with the Australian onslaught against Carlos Moya (it is not looking all too promising as I speak). He is currently trailing 2 sets to love (4-6, 4-6, 1-1), so it will be one huge battle, another 5-set marathon, if we were to lead after Day 1, 2 rubbers to 0. Carlos Moya is definitely looking the goods at the moment.

knightsgal85

Juniors
Hooray ... Go Flip, who has clinched the third set, 6-4.

Current scoreline from Flip's perspective: 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 2-1 (on serve).

Perhaps this is Australia's revival/comeback in this rubber ;-) *fingers-crossed*

knightsgal85

Juniors
Unfortunately Mark Philippoussis could not repeat Lleyton's inspirational effort, going down in 4 sets to Carlos Moya, 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-7 (4-7).

Carlos Moya certainly outplayed Mark in all departments, but seemed to struggle to hold serve in the latter portions of the third set (in which Mark managed to win) and the fourth set.

In the seventh game of the third set, Mark was down love - 40, but courageously fought back to bring it to deduce with a second serve of 203 km per hour, and went on to win the game. He eventually consolidated the break point he attained to secure the third set, 6-4.

It was another tough tussle in the fourth set. Carlos Moya survived a scare, serving many double faults, but eventually was able to send it to a fourth set tiebreak.

The tiebreak began as a dream for Mark, attaining a mini break in the early stages. However, Carlos managed to claw his way back in control, as we witnessed in the first two sets respectively, to even the tie at one rubber a piece.

It was quite a disappointing performance by Mark, but full credit to Carlos Moya, who played a superb all-round match, to rejuvenate Spain's hope of Davis Cup glory.

At 2 p.m. tomorrow the doubles will be contested. The Day 1 result of 1 rubber all will add more flavour to the doubles, which will be hopefully another highlight to a superb day's tennis. Hopefully, we will be in for a similar performance by the Australians, which they displayed in the Semi Final (who could forget that memorable day (a remarkable comeback), and how tremendous Wayne Arthurs was ;-) ).

aqua_duck

Coach
I was absolutely laughing when I saw Moya at $3 on the TAB, I took it wthout hesitation and I guess I was proven right. Philipoussis is a modern day greek tragedy, thats the best way to put it, he's got all the talent but mentally he's weak.

knightsgal85

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
I was absolutely laughing when I saw Moya at $3 on the TAB, I took it wthout hesitation and I guess I was proven right.

You took the gamble as well! Congratulations on your win :D I couldn't resist the value either, and since I have not been to SportsTAB for quite an extent of time, I decided to have a go as well and put $20 on Carlos Moya. I will collect my winnings tomorrow morning, and then I will decide which option I will opt for when I place a bet on the doubles encounter.

Anonymous

Juniors
Australia just closed it out with Mark P winning the 4th rubber in a 5 setter. He won the first 2 sets only to get hammered in the next 2 before winning the last 6 love.

Doctor

Bench
Earl said:
Australia just closed it out with Mark P winning the 4th rubber in a 5 setter. He won the first 2 sets only to get hammered in the next 2 before winning the last 6 love.

It was a typical Philliposis match really - double faults galore (16 I think), but plenty of aces and un-returnable serves. The first two sets were solid from Philliposis, the third and fourth weren't quite at a decent standard.

I'm not sure if Philliposis simply lost the two sets, or whether his opponent won them - either way Ferrero fought hard to get back into it, and almost took the series to the 5th match which Hewitt would have had to won to clinch the cup.

Thankfully Philliposis' injury proved valuable, perhaps disrupting Ferrero's concentration and momentum early in the 5th set. Philliposis capitalised on his quick breather, and Ferrero's mistakes early in the set to hammer home a 6-0 final set.

He went from great to terrible, to sensational once again - typical of him, but it shouldn't take away from what was an exciting match. The doubles yesterday must have been exciting (I didn't see it), but certainly Woodbridge and Arthur's effort put the two singles players in a better position to take the title at some stage today.

Well done all, especially the sportsmanship shown to the Spainish by players, captain and the spectators.

Spain are a very good tennis side, and it showed. But the home crowd support played a big part in the Australian's success. The cup is back in Australia.

knightsgal85

Juniors
How awesome was the doubles match yesterday, and the performance displayed by the Australian pairing in Todd Woodbridge and Wayne Arthurs?

Todd Woodbridge's forehand was lethal throughout the match, and it never seemed to falter, as the Australians kept on striking winners. The power and accuracy of shots overwhelmed the Spanish duo, as the Australian pairing grabbed the first two sets in less than a single hour. Despite Alex Corretja having a medical time-out, did not faze or interrupt the momentum of the game, nor the Australians concentration. On an aggregate, it was an overwhelming and commanding display by both Todd Woodbridge and Wayne Arthurs. Their combination just bewildered the Spanish duo and their performance was flawless.

Alex Corretja's serve was insufficient for a grass court, and there is little wonder why he was unable to maintain serve in any of the 3 sets. Tood Woodbridge's returns were explosive and blistering. Wayne Arthurs did little wrong, and he kept maintaining the standard set by Todd.

Todd Woodbridge celebrated his 29th tie, breaking Adrian Quist's previous record in wonderful fashion.

Their spirit, passion, and experience shone through as they claimed victory in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, 6-3, giving Australia the advantage coming into today's fourth rubber featuring, Mark Philippoussis and Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Latest posts