What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT: Fahrenheit 9/11

Alex28

Coach
what exactly was the hurry? i dont understand why it was so urgent that the US and their alies could not wait for the UN to finish what they were doing and go in as a united front. i must be missing something...

no time frame? what was the hurry?

Terminator

First Grade
Alex28 said:
what exactly was the hurry? i dont understand why it was so urgent that the US and their alies could not wait for the UN to finish what they were doing and go in as a united front. i must be missing something...

Keeping alot of troops and equipment over their on a war footing costs alot of money Alex, just logistics probably.

Nuffy

Bench
It had nothing to do with logisitics and everything to do with potential threats and possible use of WMD's.

Lets see, the UN had been working since 91 to try and get a handle on his WMD's, he ceased co operation in 98 and by 02 the conclusion was that he was actively making WMD's and the US believed that they may be the victim of a terrorist NBC attack via Iraq's WMD's.

Bearing in mind that about 4000 people had been killed in a unprovoked terrorist attack on US soil in 01, and 88 australians had been killed in 02 coupled with ongoing claims from Al Qaeda that this was just the beginning, and governments were understandably concerned about potential threats to their populations, Sept 11 changed the rules forever and previously accepted doctrines didn't necessarily apply any more.

Plus could the US allow the UN to stubble on for another 11 years and take what they thought was an unacceptable risk to their population from Iraq and Saddam. Would that have been an acceptable timeframe.

Also the cynic in me also said that much of the dithering in the UN was over the recently uncovered "light sweet" deals and ensuring those oil for money deals kept on rolling in.

The timing was Saddams chosing, he could have recommenced co operation with the UN and the US wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

It comes back to the original issue............the world thought he had WMD's and there was concern that they may find there way into terrorists hands...........The only disagreement was on how to disarm Saddam, the UN wanted the same old ineffective program, the US wanted their own plan.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, people who once claimed there was WMD's now say there is no justification for the war. You can't have it both ways.

Kaz

junior
Nuffy said:
Pre Iraq, there was unanimous agreement that Iraq had WMD, they had a very large ongoing program, read a book called "Germs - The ultimate weapon", it covers it in great detail and was written before Iraq so its not covering any specific angle.

Didn't Bush & his merry Men & Women state in about 2000 the Iraq had no WMD's. And that they were watching Iraq & Saddam.

But about 18 months later Bush & his merry Men & Women claim that Iraq did have WMD. :roll:

Did American Troops land in Iraq about 1 month before the War in Iraq started & secure the Oil wells. :?

millersnose

Post Whore
Kaz said:
Didn't Bush & his merry Men & Women state in about 2000 the Iraq had no WMD's. And that they were watching Iraq & Saddam.

no you are completely wrong

bush wasnt even in power in 2000

clinton was and the clinton administration consistantly asserted iraq had a WMD programme and in fact regularly bombed installations they deemed supported such programs

But about 18 months later Bush & his merry Men & Women claim that Iraq did have WMD. :roll:

as did everyone else

Did American Troops land in Iraq about 1 month before the War in Iraq started & secure the Oil wells. :?

given saddams bombing of oil wells to cripple kuwait in GW1 and the many months it took to extinguish this worst environmental crime in history then this was a good and responsible thing to do

millersnose

Post Whore
Alex28 said:
what exactly was the hurry?

hurry??

he had 12 years to comply

i dont understand why it was so urgent that the US and their alies could not wait for the UN to finish what they were doing and go in as a united front. i must be missing something...

i suggest you read 1441

it stated iraq must submit a full declaration to the UN on its weapons programs was labelled in the resolution as iraqs final chance to do so

blix was sent to verify

blix found the documents incomplete and evasive - he also found chemical weapons in a new bunker

he also found missiles capable of flying further than permited

end of story

Terminator

First Grade
brookins.jpg

The Cowards hall of Fame.
SPAIN
PHILLIPINES
AUST.....?

Latest posts