What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT- Get ready for a big blast of SNOW!!!

The_Ben

Juniors
Next Saturday and Sunday I expect the whole state of NSW to be absolutely freezing cold! Looking at charts, we should see snow all the way up the ranges including Barrington and even into the Northern tablelands of Glenn Innis and maybe even into QLD (well Bald Rock National Park Anyway, 40kms north of Tenterfield)

It should be absolutely pukking down South. There will be snow on the roads from Cooma onwards which is a rare treat even in some of the best years.

Apologies for the size of the images

aus2.120hr.gif

aus2.144hr.gif

Misanthrope

Staff member
Whoot! I live an hour from Glen Innes (went to HS there), so hopefully we'll get a little snow in my neck of the woods. If not, I'll have to visit my parents in the mountains for a few days. :)

astrogirl

First Grade
You think there might be snow on the roads in Cooma?!?!? Wow. Do you know what altitude Cooma is Ben?

I still haven't been to the snow yet! *sooks* I spoke to a friend who has been down there 3 times already! I'm so jealous!

Andy

First Grade
That's fantastic news.

I'll be down there for a week from the 25th.

I seem to get lucky every year.

8)

astrogirl

First Grade
Last year I had an awesome time in both early July and early September.

This year I'll be down in late July (the last weekend) and late August. I can't wait. I have snowboarding posters all around my desk here at work :D

Awesome :D

princessjen

Juniors
i live near narrabri which is west of glen innes and it never ever snows. it barely even gots cold! oh well hope you enjoy the snow if it snows where you all live

The_Ben

Juniors
Cooma's elevation is around the 780 mtr mark. I think the airport is 780.

Jindabyne is 900 odd mtrs. Roughly the same height as Black mountain in Canberra.

Friday Flats at Thredbo is 1100

These are rough figures in my head from memory, I could be wrong, but it's about right.

Should be a good 50cm+ dump coming up.

Serc

First Grade
I wouldn't have suggested all of that is going to happen so far out from the event myself. But all the same if that 540 line (the blue one in the link) is pushing up and wrapping around that low off the coast then I'll be getting VERY excited :)

For those interested the latest chart from the same weather model: http://data.theweather.com.au/access/imageserver.jsp?image=grads/gfs/wz.gfs.AUS.mslp.132.png

Ultimately it looks more like a lot of rain for some part of the central coast (ie W'gong to Newcastle), strong gales for all the NSW coast, and perhaps some decent snow for the Northern Tablelands as the cold air wraps around the low. Any snow on the Central tablelands is very likely to be washed away on Sunday.

astrogirl

First Grade
Welcome to the forum daveserc. Snowforecasters in particular are most welcome!! I usually rely on Ben for info as I have no idea :D

Serc

First Grade
Hehe thanks - i've been a lurker on here for many months now. Keen supporter of the Knights too, i try to have a look on here as much as I can.

Just thought I'd help out in an area i know something a little about, being a keen storm chaser and studing weather stuff at uni :)

The_Ben

Juniors
Welcome daveserc!

More weather buffs the better I say. But only in winter, I don't worry too much about the weather in summer except to know what days are the best to take the boat out.

The_Ben

Juniors
Dodgey is my middle name. I should just say about May that I expect it to snow within the next 3 months. That way I'll be 100% accurate.

Serc

First Grade
Haha I try my best, though I really am just an amateur doing a few weather units at Uni :)

I'm actually more of a stormchaser myself, I come from Coffs Harbour down to Newy for uni each year, and head back home to family and the storms in summer!

PS: Don't you dare try and get me to forecast if the Knights are going to win this weekend lol, I might be 2nd in my tipping comp but i'm biased! ;-)

Dave

Serc

First Grade
Awesome! By the looks of one of the computer models, the snowys look like getting another 10cm or so of snow this weekend. Snow across all the NSW ranges seems to be dependent on moisture now - the cold air is certainly there, as will be the wind! Get ready for a weekend of rain and wind NSW people!

The_Ben

Juniors
We all should take a moment and thank Hughie the snow god.

All hail his great gifts he has been delivering us this season. (Had to be the one season though I didn't get a season pass and spend 20 or more days down there)