What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - HAIL

macavity

Referee
any of you get massive hail last night?

52mm of rain in the Hunter apparently

golf-ball sized hail

woke up this morn and a huge chunk of ice was still in the backyard.....

astrogirl

First Grade
I spoke to my dad last night and he said it hailed in Newcastle.

None in my part of Sydney though... thank goodness!

IanG

Coach
astrogirl said:
I spoke to my dad last night and he said it hailed in Newcastle.

None in my part of Sydney though... thank goodness!
It did hail up here last night. They were about the size of marbles. With plenty of Rain and Lightning. Scared the hell out of Rosie my Jack Russell.

macavity

Referee
The Uni is locked down - damage everywhere, trees down, broken windows, half the campus has no electricity. not even the gym was open. #-o

looked like snow where the sun hadn't hit - there was about 1/2 foot of it!

As my class and sesson were cancelled, went to visit my dad @ work (I work there too...) and our workshop, supercheap and peppys all had some major flooding. peps had some ruined stock, whilst a part of supercheaps roof caved in (!!!) as the drain blocked and ice built up there! crazy! They are trading, but some major stock damage. We were lucky, tyres dont ruin in the wet!! :)

it hailed about midday at Glendale yesterday as well.... I cant believe the weather lately!

deedles

Juniors
yeah i live at uni and we were in our dining room having pizza and watching foxtel when it started, we were trapped in there for about 45 mins cause the hail was too heavy for us to leave. then on the bend just before the lights at stanett st leaving the uni the hail was about a foot deep amd there is still ice everywhere. i lost one of my things in the hail flood and dont know where it is now. 4 cars got bogged going into the uni and we had help get them out. a group of the guys were sliding down the hill on a board and they wouldve gone bout 30m, thats how icy it was. we had so much fun with it for hours. lovin that uni is closed and hopefully it will be tomorrow as well cause i have an assignment due...actually on rugby league corporatisation...hmmm

macavity

Referee
yeah it was crazy wasn't it.

my cats were nearly as scared as my girl.... :lol:

I had the blind open and was watching it roll over, she made me close it because it was scaring her... :lol:

I went out the back afterwards and got a bucket full of ice, brought it inside and threw tiny hailstones at one of my cats... she was pouncing on them and going mental.... :D

Johns-All-Day

Juniors
We just got some hail up here in Brissy. Nothing to get excited about though. It was very small and it only lasted for about two minutes. :?

Anonymous

Juniors
macavity said:
yeah it was crazy wasn't it.

my cats were nearly as scared as my girl.... :lol:

I had the blind open and was watching it roll over, she made me close it because it was scaring her... :lol:

I went out the back afterwards and got a bucket full of ice, brought it inside and threw tiny hailstones at one of my cats... she was pouncing on them and going mental.... :D

Our cat was s**ting himself. I went into the bedroom and he jumped 10 foot, literally!

~bedsy~

First Grade
deedles said:
yeah i live at uni and we were in our dining room having pizza and watching foxtel when it started, we were trapped in there for about 45 mins cause the hail was too heavy for us to leave. then on the bend just before the lights at stanett st leaving the uni the hail was about a foot deep amd there is still ice everywhere. i lost one of my things in the hail flood and dont know where it is now. 4 cars got bogged going into the uni and we had help get them out. a group of the guys were sliding down the hill on a board and they wouldve gone bout 30m, thats how icy it was. we had so much fun with it for hours. lovin that uni is closed and hopefully it will be tomorrow as well cause i have an assignment due...actually on rugby league corporatisation...hmmm
You probebly helped one of my friends, they got bogged as well.
It didn't hail at New Lambton. But there was a heap of rain and lost of lighting and thunder.
I was afraid of a blackout and my torch was in my car and I didn't want to run and get it. I'm so afraid of the dark.
I love storms though, they send me to sleep.

IanG

Coach
Well it hailed here that's for sure and I live at Jesmond. The worst part was that the roof in my bedroom leaked all over my double bed so I had to sleep in the spare bedroom.

Big Tim

First Grade
My Mum works for the Uni security, she has pics of the damage. The roof collapsed in some buildings with about 9 inches of ice in the lecture rooms and halls.

Student services was flooded and full of ice, and an UNDERGROUND carpark was full of ice, up to 20m away from the entrance. The wind was howling an must have blown it in there.

The reported damage bill is over 3 million :shock:

Doctor

Bench
I was driving home at about 8 o'clock on Sunday night, through Mayfield. The hail was pretty intense, and the lightning was just about constant in the skies above.

I pulled over in Mayfield under some big trees (yes kiddies, never park under a tree in a storm -- unless the hail is bad). Several cars followed me in, and a couple of trucks. I sat there for at least 20-25 minutes before the hail died down a bit.

The roads were slippery, much of the road was flooded. Emergency vehicles were going back and forth, as people slipped around on thick puddles of ice.

I got home, with it still raining intensely. The house had copped it -- three rooms had water damage on the carpet. Apparently the hail had been so horizontal that it had come in under the veranda awning, and poured in under the laundry door -- the water was flowing down the laundry drain.

I took photos of the hail piles -- 3 inches thick in places (I have photographic evidence). 123mm of rainfall/hail in a short space of time it seems. It seems to have been very concentrated around Wallsend, Jesmond and Waratah.

But I dispute the story that the hail was the size of golf balls -- certainly none of the hail I saw was anywhere near that size. I'm suggest the hail was a bit bigger than a pea. The problem was that it came down in large volumes, for a lengthy period of time.

It is easily the most hail we've had in a number of years. I was up in Cessnock on Sunday afternoon too -- they haven't had rain in many months, so the storm was a welcome change from a lengthy dry-spell.

macavity

Referee
i had some decent sized chunks, about 1 1/2 cm across.

reports of the golf-balls were from the uni, cant say i saw any.

was pretty intense though!

Doctor

Bench
macavity said:
i had some decent sized chunks, about 1 1/2 cm across.

reports of the golf-balls were from the uni, cant say i saw any.

was pretty intense though!

Hail is loud and scary for some -- the old "golf ball" measurement is always an exaggeration. Golf ball hail is the type that smashes windows -- I'm fairly sure that there haven't been many reports of broken windows etc. The main damage is from the sheer intensity of the hail -- the volume of hail may have come down in small pieces, but it was heavy and driving.

There was a car near my house that had been hit by a falling tree branch -- I'm not sure whether the car is a write-off.

Latest posts