What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - holiday destinations

astrogirl

First Grade
Looks like I'll be going to Perth on business for a couple of days. Has anyone been there? I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile organising a couple of days off to look around. Comments would be much appreciated :D

And while on the topic of holidays have you been anywhere that you've absolutely loved and would recommend to others (and why)?

antonius

Coach
Been to Fiji twice, fantastic place, fantastic people (Fijians) Also been to the Barrier Reef Islands, the area has to be one of the most beautiful/spectacular places on the planet, If I had the money I'd live there tommorow.

astrogirl

First Grade
The Great Barrier Reef is definitely on my list of places to check out. I want to check out it's beauty before mankind inflicts any more damage on the coral...

keeney

First Grade
if you wanna check out the reef properly you have to take a boat out pretty far and then go diving, if you do it off the shore its meant to be lousy, everyone should vote in the FFB awards now

Samwise

Bench
Queenstown in the winter is awesome, bloody cold, but skiing at the remarkables is ace. also a great nightlife with tonnes of tourists.

~bedsy~

First Grade
keeney said:
if you wanna check out the reef properly you have to take a boat out pretty far and then go diving, if you do it off the shore its meant to be lousy, everyone should vote in the FFB awards now
yeah that's what I did.
But I loved it when I went to Uluru.. I want to go back so I can finish climbing it.

knightsgal85

Juniors
I have never been to Perth before Astrogirl, but I can assure you that it is a lovely destination as a couple of my mates from high school have now spent a year down there, and they do not want to ever leave the place. I have been told that the people down there are extremely friendly and the city is gorgeous, as well as the lovely beaches. You should browse the Internet to see if there are any attractions or sightseeing that might take your fancy, or just grab a brochure or two on Perth if you pass a travel agent.

Even though you are going to Perth for a business trip, you should have an awesome time. I would definitely advise that you try to organise an extra couple of nights at least on the other side of the country, as you never know when you will return. Have a fabulous time, and make sure you tell us your verdict on Perth when you come back ;-)

keeney

First Grade
Samwise said:
Queenstown in the winter is awesome, bloody cold, but skiing at the remarkables is ace. also a great nightlife with tonnes of tourists.

QUeenstown was the greatest place fro winter in the pacific, until it got over run by fkn tourists, used to go with my family every year, but the skiing is pretty good, beats the hell out of australia at least, coronet peak, remarkables, cadrona, treble cone all driving distance, and a few a bit further out

roopy

Referee
astrogirl said:
Looks like I'll be going to Perth on business for a couple of days. Has anyone been there? I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile organising a couple of days off to look around. Comments would be much appreciated :D

And while on the topic of holidays have you been anywhere that you've absolutely loved and would recommend to others (and why)?
Perth is a beautiful city.
Kings park is well worth a look - it is a big garden area on a hill overlooking the river and the city.
If you want to fill in a day a cruise down the river to Fremantle in not a bad idea. On the way down the River they point out all the rich peoples houses and tell you how many tens of millions they are worth. Fremantle is a great little sea side village sort of place with great shopping, and you can take the train back to town (it's really an outer suburb of Perth).

If you have a few days to kill, Rottnest Island is an interesting little party spot. It is only about an hour and a bit off Fremantle by Ferry, and all the younger people from Perth go there to get drunk and grope each other. The island used to be an aboriginal penal colony and still has all the original buildings.

If you have a week or so, the south west corner of the state is worth a look. It is basically about the same as here climate wise, but it has a few little villages in the whole south west - like an area three or four times the size of the Hunter with only a few villages the size of Toronto and another dozen or so the size of Branxton.

Perth has some really good restaurants if you want something to do for a week night.

knightsgal85

Juniors
antonius said:
Been to Fiji twice, fantastic place, fantastic people (Fijians).

This is reassuring to hear, as I am actually spending 17 nights in Fiji in early January just to have a relaxing holiday with a few of my close mates. We are actually dividing our trip in half, so that we are spending time on two different islands. We are staying at Shangri-La's Fijian Resort (Yanuca) and Sheraton Royal Denarau Resort (Denarau Island). I've been told that the Fijian people will charm you completely and have this 'natural friendliness' quality, so that is most comforting, and one of the reasons why so many people continue to visit the same destination time and time again.

I am actually moreso looking forward to appreciate the vibrant cultural activities and the historical features while I am down there. At Denarau, we will be attending mystical firewalking ceremonies, and throughout the resort we will discover ancestral carvings and artefacts nestling in the lush tropical gardens. I cannot wait until I getaway, and I am also looking forward to the recreational activities, including the golf courses, and the various watersports such as jetboating, scuba diving, parasailing, snorkelling, deep sea fishing, jet skiing and paraflying. We will also be going inland as well to Suva and a few other places, to appreciate the way of life, and will be going to a few of the temples and markets.

keeney

First Grade
ive stayed at teh shangri la, a goo dplace to relax, but kinda like a retirement village plenty to do, but its all kinda weird feeling, i got my dive liscence tehre, theres some good diving, but there is much better food just off the island, or peninsula or whatever it is

the_knights_rule

First Grade
my favourite holiday desintaion would have to be the USA. i went there when i was about 10 and we went to lots of places in california. It was heaps of fun cos my family got a 5 day pass to disneyland. very exciting stuff for a 10 yr old.

knightsgal85

Juniors
keeney said:
ive stayed at teh shangri la, a goo dplace to relax, but kinda like a retirement village plenty to do, but its all kinda weird feeling, i got my dive liscence tehre, theres some good diving, but there is much better food just off the island, or peninsula or whatever it is

Retirement village? :lol: Hehe ... I understand what you are trying to imply there. I have been reading all this information about what is available to do at the resort, and I believe the major dilemma will be whether we can do everything during our stay down there.

Keeney, can you get off the island while you are there? I should actually rephrase that, but wouldn't the transportation costs outweigh the benefits (i.e. if you choose to have dinner away from the resort)? I believe the food will comprise our biggest expense while we are at the resorts, but what can you do?

One of my girlfriends got married at that particular resort as well and gave it the thumbs up, so that was one of the main influencing factors as to why we decided to go there for accomodation.

Faranah (not sure where she has been lately), actually suggested the Sheraton to me, and it looks to be a great resort to embrace the culture moreso than Shangri-La.

Leasha

Juniors
astrogirl said:

I was born in Perth and spent much of my early life living there, and although I cant comment on what it is like at present because I have not been there for a few years, all I can say is that it was, and apparently still is, a beautiful place. In so many of the areas in Perth there is an almost formal, somewhat 'British' feeling by the style of landscape and atmosphere. And, like Roopy said, the people are very very friendly, and there are a few lovely areas to visit like Rottnest and Fremantle.

There is only one thing to warn you about IMO - though the Swan River is a beautiful landmark in Perth, it is not as sweet and lovely as it seems. No, by contrast, the river is EVIL :evil: :evil: !!!!!!!! The main inhibitants of the Swan River are some apparently innocent SWANS (hence the name), which have the potential to change from their cute, attention-seeking selves, into malicious and vicious biting attackers!!! O:) --> :twisted: !!! If you didnt guess, I was unfortunately a victim of their brutal attacks :cry:

So Astrogirl, have a great time in Perth, you should enjoy it - as long as you stay away from the Swan River!! *shudders*

tigermite

Juniors
the_knights_rule said:
my favourite holiday desintaion would have to be the USA. i went there when i was about 10 and we went to lots of places in california. It was heaps of fun cos my family got a 5 day pass to disneyland. very exciting stuff for a 10 yr old.
I went there when i was 10 also. Only went to Disneyland on 2 days, but it was great. Can't wait to go back (whenever that happens to be). Also went to Universal studios which was also great. Went a few other places as well. As you said, exciting stuff for a 10 year old, but I reckon I'll be excited whenever I get to go back, no matter what age I am. It really is a place for everyone. The only downside, it makes our theme parks over here seem very dull... especially wonderland and dreamworld. Movieworld and Seaworld are pretty good though.

keeney

First Grade
knightsgal85 said:
keeney said:

Retirement village? :lol: Hehe ... I understand what you are trying to imply there. I have been reading all this information about what is available to do at the resort, and I believe the major dilemma will be whether we can do everything during our stay down there.

Keeney, can you get off the island while you are there? I should actually rephrase that, but wouldn't the transportation costs outweigh the benefits (i.e. if you choose to have dinner away from the resort)? I believe the food will comprise our biggest expense while we are at the resorts, but what can you do?

One of my girlfriends got married at that particular resort as well and gave it the thumbs up, so that was one of the main influencing factors as to why we decided to go there for accomodation.

Faranah (not sure where she has been lately), actually suggested the Sheraton to me, and it looks to be a great resort to embrace the culture moreso than Shangri-La.

theres a decent restaurant across teh rad from the gate of the resort owned by two australians, i think its called gecko or someting thats ok, but taxis are pretty cheap and tehre are some good local restaurants within 5 minutes drive, there is plenty to do there, teh food at the hotel is pricier than the stuff outside, and they ahve likited cultural stuff, except for this lighting of the torch thign at 6pm each night which is ok, they play drums uhhhhh other than that tghey have about 10 pools and a beach

knightsgal85

Juniors
keeney said:
theres a decent restaurant across teh rad from the gate of the resort owned by two australians, i think its called gecko or someting thats ok, but taxis are pretty cheap and tehre are some good local restaurants within 5 minutes drive, there is plenty to do there, teh food at the hotel is pricier than the stuff outside, and they ahve likited cultural stuff, except for this lighting of the torch thign at 6pm each night which is ok, they play drums uhhhhh other than that tghey have about 10 pools and a beach

That thought didn't cross my mind. Yeah, I have been told taxis are cheap over there, so that is an exceptional idea. I was just browsing their website to see if they would advertise the prices of meals available at the Shangri-La restaurants, and there is not a sign of anything, apart from opening hours and photographs of the restaurants, which only gives you one impression (not as though I was expecting anything different).

I read in a few of the brochures that they have a Meke dance and firewalking, but no sign of this on their official website among the main attractions section, so I've decided to contact them via e-mail to confirm this. During your stay, did you witness any firewalking ceremonies?

Thanks once again Keeney. You have definitely provided more insight. When did you actually stay there (i.e. year)? Apparently now they are undergoing an upgrade program, which has just recently commenced to refurbish rooms, and to create a new spa complex and ballroom.

keeney

First Grade
i stayed there jan this year, and i was black after a week. its a good place if you wanna relax, im pretty sure there is firewalking but i was probably watchng mtv asia

NC

Juniors
I went to Tuross Head last year. It's a great place with numerous beaches, stayed there for a week, but I would only recommend staying there for about 3 days.

Wasn't much left to do after about 3 days. They've got a couple of little shops, one park, a couple of fish & chips shops, and that's about it really. But you do get to go fishing!!! That's what I loved most about that place :D

Latest posts