What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - Legal action

Terminator

First Grade
Websites are going down like flies all over the country at the moment it seems because of bloody legal action, why can't everyone stop feeding the lawyers and just wear any accusations they cop, its got well and truly beyond a joke!

roopy

Referee
terminator007 said:
Websites are going down like flies all over the country at the moment it seems because of bloody legal action, why can't everyone stop feeding the lawyers and just wear any accusations they cop, its got well and truly beyond a joke!

I think everyone is over reacting, but the clubs do have to look after the finances of the team, and I'm sure that no club can afford to be sued over something as trivial as a post by a fan on a website.

Having said that, the chance would have to be one in a million. These posts are read by maybe 100 people, tops, so any damage to reputation would have to be bordering on zero, so why would you spend 100k or so on bringing a legal action to win maybe $5 damages - it doesn't make any sense.

There must be millions of message boards around the world, and some of them, like political ones, would become very heated, so RL message boards must be close to the lowest risk for libel, or not far off the lowest risk. Maybe knitting groups might be more polite. If you want to see guys go for each other, check out some of the pommy soccer sites, nothing but semi-literate abuse from wall to wall.

This site is run by a bunch of average guys with very little money behind them, so sueing them would be pointless even if you could prove something, because all you would get is the satisfaction of winning the case and a fat lawyers bill, but sueing a club could be a different matter i suppose, even though i still think it would be very hard to prove damage to reputation when very few read the posts, and even less believe them.

Anonymous

Juniors
So I take it that there has been a case recently whereby liable was proven against someone on a Forum. Hence the precedent and the subsequent flaying of arms at the behest of Lawyers that is going on.

There are easy legal steps any forum can take to make sure that the content provided is something that cannot be used against the Forum owners in Court.

A $30 an hour Solicitor can get you a legal disclaimer that will do the trick. Even Hilly at $25 an hour could do one.

Knee jerk over reactions have a tendency to make people look really stupid in hindsight.

-GS.

roopy

Referee
From what i can understand the legal case that is worrying everyone at the moment is a case in Victoria involving David Oldfield, the One Nation guy, against website proprietors who ran a website where he was libeled.

I think it is an on going case.

Latest posts