What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nicho v SJ

Big Bloke

Juniors
After 3 games Nicho is humming along nicely in this team.

I saw a comment on another thread that said it was great to see a high profile player actually playing well and proving his worth which got me thinking about Shaun Johnson.

When we first signed SJ I remember the euphoria was great and in his first few games he made a difference similar to what we are feeling now with Nicho.

I'm not trying to jinx him but are we more confident with Nicho in comparison with Johnson after the same number of games?

Frailty

First Grade
There is a fair bit of revisionism when it comes to SJ. His 2020 season was incredible - it showed maturity and growth in his game. He transformed from this dynamic and dangerous player to a half that could move a team around the field.

Nicho and SJ are in very different positions when they came to the club.. SJ was an established player in the league - let alone halfback, whilst Nicho is a young player looking to establish himself as a NRL starter. I think this buys Nicho a bit of leeway with fans - and current reactions are because he has exceeded expectations of what we thought he'd be this early.

The other signifcant factor is, SJ came into a Flanagan team that had recruited poorly, and then a Morris-coached team which wasn't exactly the strongest defensively. Nicho is benefitting from some strong recruitment and a coach with some strong fundamental philosophies.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Difference is we recruited for what we needed to build the structure Fitz wanted to play.

Flan/bomber recruited for the name and the hope that it would work.

The fact we have signed kaufusi for next year at prop already shows he gets what we need and not what we can get.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Flanagan has even come out and said after 2016 they didn't have much of a plan recruitment wise. No surprises it was when Mooney had left.

You could tell there was no plan, it was just buy biggest name available regardless of reputation or form.

Bob Scott

Juniors
Lamb and mutton , SJ was cooked when he came here , he had reached his best by then , the Warriors have made a huge cockup taking him back , will hurt them over next 3 years .

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Think it’s hard to compare them. SJ and Nicho were brought in under very different coaches with different regimes.
SJ was bought for experience, Nicho bought for his potential. Nicho’s ceiling is so high it’s not even funny

in 2019 Johnson became the very first Sharks player that I have ever yelled at as his lack of effort and general softness was very disheartening.
in 2020 I was very stoked with the way he turned himself around and became the player that he could be. It was a real shame that he got that achilles injury when he was playing so well.
2021 was nearly a right off for him trying to get back from that injury at his age. He tried but it really wasn't happening.
The way he left the side after his next injury was very bad form, the same with him not turning up to games when he was injured. Thats really how my last thoughts about him and the Sharks rest.

Nicho walked in wanting to be a leader, he wanted to run a side. His personality seems to be that he is a Shark through and through.
No contest for me

in 2019 Johnson became the very first Sharks player that I have ever yelled at as his lack of effort and general softness was very disheartening.
in 2020 I was very stoked with the way he turned himself around and became the player that he could be. It was a real shame that he got that achilles injury when he was playing so well.
2021 was nearly a right off for him trying to get back from that injury at his age. He tried but it really wasn't happening.
The way he left the side after his next injury was very bad form, the same with him not turning up to games when he was injured. Thats really how my last thoughts about him and the Sharks rest.

Nicho walked in wanting to be a leader, he wanted to run a side. His personality seems to be that he is a Shark through and through.
No contest for me
Yup thats the way its got to be in life... Full on ,or do something else!

txta2

Bench
Nicho already has shown he can come up with big plays at the right time 2-3 x a game. SJ you were lucky to get 1

Meanhfish

Juniors
Nicho is working off the back of a defensive structure that gives him time and options, SJ wasn’t Nicho is working off the back of a hooker that is playing the best he has in a couple of years because he is not trying to hold the defence in the middle of the field on his own therefore he has energy to attack, SJ didn’t, Nicho is playing under a coach with a game plan that is designed to suit the strengths of the team, SJ didn’t and Nicho has a level of professionalism taught to him by one of the greatest NRL coaches in the history of the game, SJ has had hot air blown up his backside for years and has a soft underbelly as a result. Overall the future is looking positive.

DJDL

Bench

No contest for me

👍

Sorry, can't handle this site with ads. So no "like" functionality for me 🙁

Weaponhead

Coach
Johnson plays for Johnson. He looks for the highlight reel play because it makes headlines and headlines shape perceptions. Clubs and coaches see the talent and think they can unlock the potential which means another contract.

Hynes (at this early stage) has bought into club mentality and wants to be a better player himself and make his team mates better players. He came here to be the man that takes the team to the next level.

Hynes has Shark DNA, Johnson never did.

Big Bloke

Juniors
Nicho is working off the back of a defensive structure that gives him time and options, SJ wasn’t Nicho is working off the back of a hooker that is playing the best he has in a couple of years because he is not trying to hold the defence in the middle of the field on his own therefore he has energy to attack, SJ didn’t, Nicho is playing under a coach with a game plan that is designed to suit the strengths of the team, SJ didn’t and Nicho has a level of professionalism taught to him by one of the greatest NRL coaches in the history of the game, SJ has had hot air blown up his backside for years and has a soft underbelly as a result. Overall the future is looking positive.
Wow, I almost passed out through lack of oxygen trying to read that! :) Use more of these please mate, they’re call full stops. Here’s another one. And another.

Good points in your post though!