What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nigeria, one to watch

adamkungl

Immortal
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8516...erian-rugby-league-for-two-years-on-no-money/

Great story, one of the new pioneers of international Rugby League.

Imagine if the game's leaders had the kind of drive that some of these blokes have.

Looking forward to the African championships next year.
Should feature Nigeria, South Africa, Lebanon, and maybe Ghana, Cameroon and more

Could Africa be the next big thing in Rugby League?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8516...erian-rugby-league-for-two-years-on-no-money/

Imagine if the game's leaders had the kind of drive that some of these blokes have.

Should feature Nigeria, South Africa, Lebanon, and maybe Ghana, Cameroon and more

Let’s hope that RL in Africa can develop competitive international teams. 1 possible advantage is the large number of African immigrants in the U.K. and in Australia who could boost the teams short term with heritage players.

adamkungl

Immortal
There's a group in Aus, similar to Latin Heat for South and Central America, called Africa United which has been competing for the last few years.

adamkungl

Immortal
Aren’t their Africans starting to play for NRL youth teams now? U16&u18?

I expect so. African immigration to western sydney has been on the up for the past decade or so.
There's also a Sudanese team that entered the Cabramatta 9s recently

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I expect so. African immigration to western sydney has been on the up for the past decade or so.
There's also a Sudanese team that entered the Cabramatta 9s recently
Great news although I doubt that the numbers are anywhere near the Pacific Islander numbers in terms of both immigration and RL participants.

adamkungl

Immortal
Great news although I doubt that the numbers are anywhere near the Pacific Islander numbers in terms of both immigration and RL participants.

Not yet
Purely anecdotal but I think PI immigration is a couple of decades ahead of African.
And Rugby is ingrained in Tongan, Samoan, Fijian communities already.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Not yet
Purely anecdotal but I think PI immigration is a couple of decades ahead of African.
And Rugby is ingrained in Tongan, Samoan, Fijian communities already.
Indeed. All it needs is an African NRL superstar to get things really moving.

deluded pom?

Coach
There's a group in Aus, similar to Latin Heat for South and Central America, called Africa United which has been competing for the last few years.
Do we know if there has been any interaction between AU and the countries in Africa similar to the way LH have in SA?

deluded pom?

Coach
As is usual on the TRL forum they are speculating which heritage players from the NRL could be eligible for Nigeria but they are struggling to come up with any names barring Jason Okunbor, who I’ve never heard of, who announced the name of one of the Nigerian domestic teams.

paulmac

Juniors

Shits me that Lebanon are considered part of Africa. Lebanon is in Asia in nearly every sport. If they don’t want to be in Asia they should be in Europe like Israel (to the south of Lebanon) in football. Lebanon’s presence in Africa will stymy the development of African nations as seen when Sth Africa had to play Lebanon for a spot at the 2017 RLWC.

adamkungl

Immortal
Shits me that Lebanon are considered part of Africa. Lebanon is in Asia in nearly every sport. If they don’t want to be in Asia they should be in Europe like Israel (to the south of Lebanon) in football. Lebanon’s presence in Africa will stymy the development of African nations as seen when Sth Africa had to play Lebanon for a spot at the 2017 RLWC.

I'm hoping medium-term plans include a proper federation for each continent, i've never liked how Asia is split.

Pommy

Coach

Israel is only in Europe because they can’t be in Asia, it just causes way too much grief. Lebanon being one of the reasons.
Was there even another credible team for South Africa to play?

deluded pom?

Coach
It shits me that Australia are now in the EUROvision Song Contest.

yakstorm

First Grade
Lebanon isn't being classified as part of Africa, the event is called 'Middle East - Africa Cup' and it is the 'Middle East - Africa' regional authority under the RLEF they sit under.
https://www.nospam18.com/images/nations/ghana/MEARL.jpg

Anyway on the MEA Cup, this partnership is interesting: http://www.totalrl.com/ballympics-i...nagement-consultancy-partner-with-nigeria-rl/

Implies that the tournament will be a televised event, and they are actually being a bit ambitious which is very unlike RL for most of these regional championships.

Latest posts