What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightclub Incidents!

Crusher

Coach
It seems that footballers of all codes seemed to attarct themselves to 'nightclub incidents'.

I heard a psychologist on radio this morning who basically said that although they tend to get reported more because of the players profile, there was still about a 70% greater chance of a footballer (league,union, AFL, soccer) becoming involved in one.

He stopped short of calling them boofheads but did say they have too much time on their hands. The most controvesial comment was that their level of intelligence + boredom + alcohol was the difinitive cause.

Any thoughts?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The alcohol plus the fact that they need excess testosterone for their job makes them more likely to resort to fists pretty quickly.

Martli

Coach
I would say a part of it is the mentality that they're "the sh*t" and they can do what the f**k they like. I've got a few mates who work in bars/clubs and some of the stories involving sports people and all sorts of other celebs all seem to boil down the "do you know who I am!?!?" factor. They think that because they're famous the laws don't apply.

Please note, when I say "they" I mean the ones that actually do sh*t, not all famous people.

That being said, their fame is a major a factor in terms of the publicity. There are heaps of fights in clubs and bars, but it makes a great story if someone in that fight is famous.

Dani

Immortal
I've only ever run into cricketers at clubs (2 Aussies, 1 South African) and they were very nice and very approachable, just out to have a nice time. I was off my tits drunk and it was my best friends 18th birthday, so i asked all 3 of them to wish her a happy birthday, they were glad to, even gave her a hug.
Then i bought one a beer. lol. He should have bought me one!

les norton

First Grade
The way i think about it is...My older brother and his mates whom I am very close too. They are around 28 ish now and if i think over the last 10 yrs I can think of maybe 8 incidences that would of made the news if they were footballers.

I think you also need to take into account the variables of other wankers constantly giving them sh*t. coupled with alcohol and their age = biffs.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i tend to side with footballers on this, ive seen it first hand

chicks just gravitate toward well known personalities, ive seen angelic shelias throw themselves at footballers, offering ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, and when they get turned down, albeit politely in many instances, they get all pissed off and react accordingly.

As for the quantity of incidents, I myself have been involved in at least 20 things that if i were a FG footballer, would have been news worthy, relating from females, to drunken escipades

I think often the media blow a nothing incident into a massive thing, controversy sells, and often the truth is lost in a sea of dollars and accusations. The media dont even have to cross bounderies, they make the implication subtly and the human mind does the rest. I feel for people who get done in this way.

For example, a football player may touch a girl on the shoulder and ask for her number as he likes her. If a reporter see's that, you can bet it will be reported as "the football player then touched the young female inapporiately (they dont specify how here, just let your imagination run wild) and made vulger comments to her"

That said there are times where the media circus and public humiliation that ensues is nothing less then what these wankers deserve

God-King Dean

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
i tend to side with footballers on this, ive seen it first hand

chicks just gravitate toward well known personalities, ive seen angelic shelias throw themselves at footballers, offering ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, and when they get turned down, albeit politely in many instances, they get all pissed off and react accordingly.

As for the quantity of incidents, I myself have been involved in at least 20 things that if i were a FG footballer, would have been news worthy, relating from females, to drunken escipades

I think often the media blow a nothing incident into a massive thing, controversy sells, and often the truth is lost in a sea of dollars and accusations. The media dont even have to cross bounderies, they make the implication subtly and the human mind does the rest. I feel for people who get done in this way.

For example, a football player may touch a girl on the shoulder and ask for her number as he likes her. If a reporter see's that, you can bet it will be reported as "the football player then touched the young female inapporiately (they dont specify how here, just let your imagination run wild) and made vulger comments to her"

That said there are times where the media circus and public humiliation that ensues is nothing less then what these wankers deserve

Yeah, tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Another thing that should be taken into consideration is how much some wankers are out to get them.

Example: At the Socceroos v Italy party in Sydney, Finch, Ricketson, Monoghan, & Anasta arrived at the same pub. All drunkies starting yelling out to em & amongst all the yelling you could here " Roosters are sh*t, you're a dickhead Finch " & all that sh*t. Put yourselves in their situation & people will get under you're skin eventually. They are every day people, not some divine creatures.

Eelementary

Post Whore
They cop a rough deal...

I mean, come on - League stars, Union stars, even soccer stars...They all have their own appeal (League stars are in good shape; Union stars are in good shape but presumably went to a good Union-playing school/college; soccer stars are in shape and make sh*tloads of cash). Of course women and groupies will feel they have to go over to them at every opportunity.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Immortal said:
Yeah, tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Another thing that should be taken into consideration is how much some wankers are out to get them.

Example: At the Socceroos v Italy party in Sydney, Finch, Ricketson, Monoghan, & Anasta arrived at the same pub. All drunkies starting yelling out to em & amongst all the yelling you could here " Roosters are sh*t, you're a dickhead Finch " & all that sh*t. Put yourselves in their situation & people will get under you're skin eventually. They are every day people, not some divine creatures.

I'm seriously surprised he hasn't snapped in a more serious way. The poor bloke cops a hell of a lot of crap.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeah I know what you mean,

I'm sick of the paparazzi following me around to all the nightclubs

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
And thats only because you can see Tom Cruise picking his nose in the background of one of the photos.

Latest posts