What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale is done

ouryears

Bench
McGregor should hang his head in shame over the use of the bench. It’s not that he has been good all season.
You don’t put a winger on for 70 minutes. Nightingale was busted. It’s a pity some of the other bench players didn’t put in the same effort as Nightingale.
We, the fans have been critical of his use of the bench all season and last night was on iceing on the cake. He does not have a clue.
Yep I agree, but then you have forum members like CRUSH and ALSGI and DAMO who think McNugget is doing a great job and actually dream of a premiership lol.

Shows you stupidity is not just McNuggett, it’s in some of our supporters as well.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Nighty played his guts out, that's a fact.

Nighty is not Cory Oates, that's a fact.

Simply speaking, McGregor had options that he didn't explore, that could have had a better outcome for the team.
Nighty to wing and Mann to edge forward.
Nighty to wing, Mann to centre and Aitken to edge forward.
Nighty to bench, Robson to hooker and McInnes to edge forward.
And even an extreme one of Nighty to opposite wing and Nene to edge forward (he's certainly big enough).
These are just a few, I'm sure others can think of more.

Interesting for me is how Bellamy changed his team in the late mail, obviously studying our teams weaknesses and adjusting his players accordingly, whilst ours didn't even plan for any alternatives, just the listed 17 (which 99% of the time he goes with, so opposition coaches can study without too much change).

Nighty is a club legend, that's a fact, and I applaud him for his effort yesterday.

ALSGI

Bench
Yep I agree, but then you have forum members like CRUSH and ALSGI and DAMO who think McNugget is doing a great job and actually dream of a premiership lol.

Shows you stupidity is not just McNuggett, it’s in some of our supporters as well.
Ouryawns, you’re a wanker as are your other personalities.

Drag Queen

Bench
That would have made sense, Mann's been doing it for weeks in the middle.

Weren't the Storm's last 3 tries scored after Nightie went off ?
The rot started when Nichols (?) and Aitken let the worlds oldest 2nd rower stroll through Sydney Heads to score untouched.
Nightie came off looking like a busted prize fighter, he made nearly 40 tackles in the middle instead of his usual 5 - 10 on the wing. He's a bloody legend and there's not a poster on here good enough to clean his boots.
I've just finished watching the game and couldn't agree more. He played his guts out and I still can't fathom why he was put into Host's spot to begin with.
Sack the stupid coach!!
Unfortunately this isn't going to happen soon enough. One can only wish.

Crush

Coach
Sailor just made the point on Triple M that Mary has to make a tough call about Nighty.

Nighty is all heart and a legend of the club but his time has come and Mary needs to grow balls and stand him down.
I agree. I have defended nighty for a long time now but I think that he should make way for a more potent player. If we are to compete in the finals we will need to find another level.
We need to take a risk and bring someone new in.
Mary must make the hard call and be less conservative.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I agree. I have defended nighty for a long time now but I think that he should make way for a more potent player. If we are to compete in the finals we will need to find another level.

The Melbourne result was a long-time in coming. The reluctance to drop Nighty and instead play him in a manufactured middle position to which he was physically and positionally unsuited due to sentimentality in what could be his last/ testimonial year is just one element in the disaster.

Firstly, SGI has skinny depth in both backs and forwards- selling Joel Thompson to Manly left us particularly short on seasoned NRL forwards. Ah Mau is the only bench forward that could command a starting position at SGI or any other club. Jeremy Latimore is a trier but past it. The media and Mary can pump up our ISP bench forwards all they like and talk about how they've been prepared for by our HPU staff for the Melbourne game but Leilua (in particular), Sele, Host and to a lesser extent Lawrie are overrated in my opinion and got found out when the whips were cracking on Thursday night.

On the other hand, the Melbourne pack , who had more forwards out to combined injury and Origin than we did, (as well as more backs) ,. outplayed us. Stimson, Asofa Solomona and co, even with their less experienced teammates looked more dangerous in attack. I have watched Jacob Host running edges for years and have yet to see him make a clean break. His injury was unfortunate but Melbourne lost Stimson later in the game as well . Also, our backline defence apart from Widdop and Mann was woeful. If Widdop, in particular, hadn't been playing, it could have been a complete rout and the score probably flattered us.

So the problem is a long-term one of misguided faith in average players, poor recruitment and retention practices and an emotional attachment to Nighty who should have been farewelled after his spectacular try scoring feats of last year- which is really just poor judgement by Mary. I was just as guilty as anyone that he was worthy of another year when an analysis of his tries would have shown that they were all scored from close range and he really lacked the high end speed required of a winger as well as the height and bulk to effectively compete for bombs against the Vulivalus of this world.

Much is made of the fact that SGI has the lowest number of 3rd party agreements and so we struggle to recruit. Why is that? The Illawarra is a large region with its own newspaper and TV station. Sharks, Souths and probably some other Sydney clubs don't have the geographical and financial reach of SGI and manage to recruit in depth.

There are problems at all levels with this club. We are no chance of the flag this year. TIme for a clean out of Millward, Mary, our defence shy backs and the underperforming ISP players. Doust has already announced his departure so that's one less problem to contend with.

Crush

Coach
The Melbourne result was a long-time in coming. The reluctance to drop Nighty and instead play him in a manufactured middle position to which he was physically and positionally unsuited due to sentimentality in what could be his last/ testimonial year is just one element in the disaster.

Firstly, SGI has skinny depth in both backs and forwards- selling Joel Thompson to Manly left us particularly short on seasoned NRL forwards. Ah Mau is the only bench forward that could command a starting position at SGI or any other club. Jeremy Latimore is a trier but past it. The media and Mary can pump up our ISP bench forwards all they like and talk about how they've been prepared for by our HPU staff for the Melbourne game but Leilua (in particular), Sele, Host and to a lesser extent Lawrie are overrated in my opinion and got found out when the whips were cracking on Thursday night.

On the other hand, the Melbourne pack , who had more forwards out to combined injury and Origin than we did, (as well as more backs) ,. outplayed us. Stimson, Asofa Solomona and co, even with their less experienced teammates looked more dangerous in attack. I have watched Jacob Host running edges for years and have yet to see him make a clean break. His injury was unfortunate but Melbourne lost Stimson later in the game as well . Also, our backline defence apart from Widdop and Mann was woeful. If Widdop, in particular, hadn't been playing, it could have been a complete rout and the score probably flattered us.

So the problem is a long-term one of misguided faith in average players, poor recruitment and retention practices and an emotional attachment to Nighty who should have been farewelled after his spectacular try scoring feats of last year- which is really just poor judgement by Mary. I was just as guilty as anyone that he was worthy of another year when an analysis of his tries would have shown that they were all scored from close range and he really lacked the high end speed required of a winger as well as the height and bulk to effectively compete for bombs against the Vulivalus of this world.

Much is made of the fact that SGI has the lowest number of 3rd party agreements and so we struggle to recruit. Why is that? The Illawarra is a large region with its own newspaper and TV station. Sharks, Souths and probably some other Sydney clubs don't have the geographical and financial reach of SGI and manage to recruit in depth.

There are problems at all levels with this club. We are no chance of the flag this year. TIme for a clean out of Millward, Mary, our defence shy backs and the underperforming ISP players. Doust has already announced his departure so that's one less problem to contend with.
Wow, that is a super negative assessment. I don't agree that it is as gloomy a picture as this one you paint.
I don't see the melbourne result as a disaster to start. We were in that game until the last 15 where some poor defense and coaching saw us open up.
It was origin affected and, while not meaningless, wasn't a true indication of where we are at.
I'm not sure our depth is as bad as you say either. We have some promising young guys and they are doing a pretty good job in ISP. I agree it isn't an amazing depth but I have high hopes for guys like Lomax, Herbert, Host.
And I think its very harsh to ask for a clean out of Millward, Mary at this stage. We have lost 4 games all year. We have 5 players in origin series. We look to be in a better spot than most at the moment.
If you really believe that we are going to slide away from here and tumble out of finals contention then I guess that your assessment that we need a cleanout is fair but what if we come home strong, win the minor premiership then have a crack at the big one? Then I'd say you are well off the mark.
Time will tell.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Well said, Crush .... l’ve hold Flo in the highest regard but to see him getting crunched , being forced to play as a forward is wrong.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench

Mate this is spot on, what I and a few others have been saying all year, however there are many many more who are living in fantasy and thinking we are going to win the comp this year.

The ISP guys are very poor, Mary and Co need to go, and a good general clean out.

denis preston

First Grade

Very very negative assesment , .80% of our top tier forwards out and you bag Milward.Sounds like comments from a troll. Will concede that I am still not a supporter of Mcgregor and his bench rotations baffle me and yes Nightingale must go but geez take a hard look at other sides to gain a fair assessment of our efforts this season.

ouryears

Bench
Very very negative assesment , .80% of our top tier forwards out and you bag Milward.Sounds like comments from a troll. Will concede that I am still not a supporter of Mcgregor and his bench rotations baffle me and yes Nightingale must go but geez take a hard look at other sides to gain a fair assessment of our efforts this season.
His assessment in a nutshell says this.

A. Our ISP depth is poor. TRUE

B. Playing Nighty as a second rower is madness. TRUE

C. The Storm had as many missing as us but still smashed us. TRUE

D. We have very few 3rd party agreements yet have a massive geographical area.
TRUE

E. Issues A B C ARE Millward areas of accountability and he has not fixed them.
TRUE

(Issue D is Doust)

I don’t see any fake news in what he says, accusing people of being Trolls for speaking the truth is crazy head in sand stuff.

Which points above are not true?

giboz71

First Grade

Mate trolls don’t care about facts or logic. They just want to bait real supporters like most of us on here are to give some meaning to their sad, pathetic life. Why you’d want to do this in an NRL internet forum just to annoy other posters makes me scratch my head? But whatever floats their boat I suppose?

There’s a few of them on here, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same poster with multiple user names. Again why anyone would take the trouble to do that shows they’re a few cards short of a full deck.

Just ignore and laugh at them. They will go away the more wins we have this season.

Latest posts