What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

ouryears

Bench
I think it is a real shame.
I have stated that I wouldn't be adverse to Nighty being replaced by Mann but I will not bang on and on like some that he should be hooked.
A. It's not going to happen so why post over and over that he should go when its clear he will not be dropped.
B. The guy is a legend of our club that deserves respect. He has done nothing but give his all for our club.
I do understand some saying let's put pace out there, I do.
But not demonise the guy.

It will happen naturally soon enough anyway.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Do you think Lomax will get quicker between the ears this year than Flo? Sure speed is crucial but not as much as IQ and quick thinking
Experience will do Lomax the world of good. Lomax can improve between the ears, but Nightingale isn't going to get any quicker on the field, this year. Besides I don't know how fast Lomax is between the ears. I do think he is the best outside back prospect we have had since Gasnier. I think Nightingale should have retired at the end of last year or gone to ESL.

Saintsified

Bench
Experience will do Lomax the world of good. Lomax can improve between the ears, but Nightingale isn't going to get any quicker on the field, this year. Besides I don't know how fast Lomax is between the ears. I do think he is the best outside back prospect we have had since Gasnier. I think Nightingale should have retired at the end of last year or gone to ESL.
Lomax might be that good, but in a winning team that's harmonious do you want to risk it? I don't, and I certainly don't want to banish a legend, how do you know if that were to happen it might have a negative reaction from players?

Last edited:

Dracarys

Juniors
"Nightingale its time"
It was everyone's lips at the game today.
Mcgregor's a sentimental bloke (see Dan Hunt) but even he must see the righting on the wall

Frank Facer

First Grade
Lomax might be that good, but in a winning team that's harmonious do you want to risk it? I don't, and I certainly don't want to banish a legend, how do you know if that were to happen is might have a negative reaction from players?
Or it may have a positive effect on the players. The players might feel even more confident about winning this year's comp if Lomax or Mann proves to be a better option than Nightingale.

I am basing my thoughts on logic and rational, no emotion.

Saintsified

Bench
Or it may have a positive effect on the players. The players might feel even more confident about winning this year's comp if Lomax or Mann proves to be a better option than Nightingale.

I am basing my thoughts on logic and rational, no emotion.
Then logic should tell you it would be a mistake

Frank Facer

First Grade
He is an important part of this team's story, would be so wrong to drop him, so wrong.
Nightingale should have been tapped on the shoulder at the end of last year. It was so wrong not to tap him on the shoulder last year. I can tell you this, we aren't leading the comp because of Nightingale.

ouryears

Bench
He is an important part of this team's story, would be so wrong to drop him, so wrong.
For sure.

As evidence what he means to the team, Radio earlier this morning was interviewing Aitken and asked him why is the team so calm under pressure....he said when you have guys like Nighty and Jimmy Graham out there with you, when things are going bad for a period in the game, that the confidence those two players bring enable the team to stay on track and turn the tide around again.

Aitken said that Nighty and Graham's talking, direction, never say die attitude and calm experienced heads are the most important thing to the team currently.

That's what young fast guys won't bring, maybe we can think Hunt, Widdop and Fritz could do that, but they obviously can't or they are too busy planning the plays .....and keeping things calm is what Nighty and Graham are superb at doing.

Means a lot. Without it we win jack shit come Sept.

giboz71

First Grade
Just watched the replay and watched the Melb tries.

Each one was slick backline movements with touches from all their gun players. Smith, Slater, Munster and JAC.

They would have scored in those movements against most teams. Not surprising they put 50 on the Warriors last week.

These aren’t mugs we were playing today. No shame in letting in tries like that and we won’t be facing that week in week out. I keep hearing that sides like Melb would punish us. Well, we just pumped them by 20 (a week after pumping the Roosters, another side with fire power).

And even despite all the talk about our right edge, we are the best defensive side in the comp after 9 rounds (as well as being the best in attack by miles).

We probably should stop focusing on the negatives (which are few and far between).

ouryears

Bench
Nightingale should have been tapped on the shoulder at the end of last year. It was so wrong not to tap him on the shoulder last year. I can tell you this, we aren't leading the comp because of Nightingale.
Nighty says to say :dash::dash::dash::dash:
to you Frank :dash::dash::dash::dash::dash::dash:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Just watched the replay and watched the Melb tries.

Each one was slick backline movements with touches from all their gun players. Smith, Slater, Munster and JAC.

They would have scored in those movements against most teams. Not surprising they put 50 on the Warriors last week.

These aren’t mugs we were playing today. No shame in letting in tries like that and we won’t be facing that week in week out. I keep hearing that sides like Melb would punish us. Well, we just pumped them by 20 (a week after pumping the Roosters, another side with fire power).

And even despite all the talk about our right edge, we are the best defensive side in the comp after 9 rounds (as well as being the best in attack by miles).

We probably should stop focusing on the negatives (which are few and far between).
I am a perfectionist. I also want us to win the minor premiership and premiership this year.

Myself and others on this forum could see our deficiencies at the beginning of the year.

giboz71

First Grade
I am a perfectionist. I also want us to win the minor premiership and premiership this year.

Myself and others on this forum could see our deficiencies at the beginning of the year.

Hate to say it, if Lomax had been out there against Slater, Munster and JAC coming at him, he wouldn’t have stopped those tries. He’s 18 years old.

And it probably would damaged his confidence long term.

Lomax will get his chance soon enough.

ouryears

Bench

Frank, he is a key part of the team pysche that goes way past what we can imagine.

I've played with players who might have been 12 th best in the team, but I can tell you now, because of their on field leadership and calmness, we would not have won what we did.
(It was just under 20s local comp but the same principle)
#save nighty

possm

Coach
Then why aren't you and others coaching the Dragons then?
I'd say Nightingale has had a great career playing in the Red V. The Club has rewarded him by extending him another year when it was clear it was time for him to hang up his boots.

Now it is time for Nightingale to spend some time giving back by mentoring our young outside backs in ISP. Either Mann or Lomax should be selected on the right wing and Aitken should be given intensive defensive training. I believe a great deal of the problem with out right edge is related to Aitken's defensive reads. This problem may well rob Aitken of an SOO spot this year.

I and many other said before the game, our biggest weakness was down our right edge and that proved to be true, even though the rest of our defense was absolutely great.

If it was up to me, I would bring in Lomax. I think Mann has found his worth and is doing a great job of it.

Saintsified

Bench
I'd say Nightingale has had a great career playing in the Red V. The Club has rewarded him by extending him another year when it was clear it was time for him to hang up his boots.

Now it is time for Nightingale to spend some time giving back by mentoring our young outside backs in ISP. Either Mann or Lomax should be selected on the right wing and Aitken should be given intensive defensive training. I believe a great deal of the problem with out right edge is related to Aitken's defensive reads. This problem may well rob Aitken of an SOO spot this year.

I and many other said before the game, our biggest weakness was down our right edge and that proved to be true, even though the rest of our defense was absolutely great.

If it was up to me, I would bring in Lomax. I think Mann has found his worth and is doing a great job of it.
Unfortunately it's not up you or me it's up to Mary, as long as the team keeps winning it won't happen.