What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine sports boss Tom Malone kicks off rugby league ratings war with Fox Sports

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
8 games v 5 so makes sense it's up by ,2 million

Unfortunately we can't death ride CH 9 too much if the figures drop to a point where the games become non lucrative to fta it will cost the nrl massively and relegate nrl to the pay only

BuffaloRules

Coach

Unfortunately we can't death ride CH 9 too much if the figures drop to a point where the games become non lucrative to fta it will cost the nrl massively and relegate nrl to the pay only

Or they could go back to having certain games exclusively for FTA the next time.

I have got zero sympathy for 9...

They have always treated RL as a second class sport.

Nine and Gyngell got too clever for their own good this TV rights deal, and whilst they might have outsmarted Smith, I am wondering how they are feeling now about letting Fox simulcast their games for a paltry $15mil per year.

Billythekid

First Grade

The average per game is also up significantly on top of the overall increase. That's a pretty fantastic spot to be in. That plus it anything I think ratings are only likely to increase for fox as more people see how much better it is than 9 (and also realise that every game is simulcast).

Front-Rower

First Grade
Only took 21 or 22 years but news limited got exactly what they wanted with every game on every week. A high rating product on pay tv to generate revenue and create profit.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The next 7 years are locked in, so the game could pull 10 viewers and we'd still get paid...

For the next deal, networks would be bidding on potential as much as anything else and RL has proved over the last 20 years that it is the biggest spectator sport in the country so long as the presentation doesnt actively drive viewers away. (+ 9 might be forced to bid higher again jut to reclaim the exclucive rights)

I have no sympathy for 9. They have taken RL for granted for 20 years and now they have some competition, it is on them to up their game or lose viewers...

Fox Sports has been tremendous with their Rugby League coverage lately. All of the games live has been good, Monday Night with Matty Johns is the funny show that the Footy Show wishes it was. Sterlo on the couch is a fascinating show, all of these Fox Sports Gold shows have been awesome. It's starting to slowly get me back into RL again.

legend

Coach
I reckon Fox should get Cameron Williams back since he walked out on Nine. I like his style and he owuld be a good fit for Fox IMO.

Nine can get f**ked! It's amateur hour at Willoughby and I'm loving them self destruct under the weight of ineptitude and horrid coverage.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I reckon Fox should get Cameron Williams back since he walked out on Nine. I like his style and he owuld be a good fit for Fox IMO.

Nine can get f**ked! It's amateur hour at Willoughby and I'm loving them self destruct under the weight of ineptitude and horrid coverage.

Williams is an AFL stooge

legend

Coach
I thought he was a big Roosters fan? Found him to better than anything nine has to offer this season (which isn't hard)

undertaker

Coach
would like to see Fox use their own graphics for the Ch9 matches. Even though it is from Ch9's cameras and broadcast, surely the technology is there to make this happen

undertaker

Coach
Channel 9's ratings this year have been obliterated by Fox.

Maybe the reason why Rabs decided to bow out at the end of year is due to the simulcasting arrangement of Ch9 matches this year, as having the choice to listen to either Warren Smith or Andrew Voss on Fox call the same game as Rabs really shows how crap Rabs has been for the past decade.

As I said, a shame that Fox didn't get simulcasting for State of Origin or Grand Final. Their ratings for those matches would've easily surpassed the 2011 Rugby World Cup matches, and would've really dented Ch9. The only disappointment is that I wish Fox invested in better commentators and on-air presenters. Having nuffies like Anasta, Tate, Tallis, Shirvington....I mean, surely there's gotta be better fish in the sea than that lot.

franklin2323

Immortal
Or they could go back to having certain games exclusively for FTA the next time.

I have got zero sympathy for 9...

They have always treated RL as a second class sport.

Nine and Gyngell got too clever for their own good this TV rights deal, and whilst they might have outsmarted Smith, I am wondering how they are feeling now about letting Fox simulcast their games for a paltry $15mil per year.

They are still getting 500k atleast. They still under paid for it

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe the reason why Rabs decided to bow out at the end of year is due to the simulcasting arrangement of Ch9 matches this year, as having the choice to listen to either Warren Smith or Andrew Voss on Fox call the same game as Rabs really shows how crap Rabs has been for the past decade.

As I said, a shame that Fox didn't get simulcasting for State of Origin or Grand Final. Their ratings for those matches would've easily surpassed the 2011 Rugby World Cup matches, and would've really dented Ch9. The only disappointment is that I wish Fox invested in better commentators and on-air presenters. Having nuffies like Anasta, Tate, Tallis, Shirvington....I mean, surely there's gotta be better fish in the sea than that lot.

That's my issue with Fox. Sure they have the stars like Vossy but then Belcher and co bring the coverage down. I still watch TV on mute most games with the radio on.

some11

Referee
Haven't watched a single Nine broadcast this year, was debating keeping Fox until all games live in HD and no ads was announced.

Jeffmister

Juniors
would like to see Fox use their own graphics for the Ch9 matches. Even though it is from Ch9's cameras and broadcast, surely the technology is there to make this happen
I remember Vossy saying on Twitter Fox isn't contractually allowed to do that until 2018

Latest posts