What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine wants to cancel rounds so it can show the games

ngap

Juniors
Its about time 9 was thrown away. Now it wants to shorten next years comp so they can show the commonwealth games.
Rugby league is likely to play on through the Commonwealth Games next year despite the concerns of broadcaster Channel Nine, NRL chief executive David Gallop revealed last night.

News that the game's top stars face another 40-week campaign came as Penrith's New Zealand Test second-rower, Tony Puletua, was ruled out for the season and his coach hit out at the demands being placed on star players over the next two years.

The Games, to be held in Melbourne from March 15 to 26, were seen by many as an opportunity to "test drive" a truncated domestic season in the hope the premiership would be permanently reduced to 22 rounds if Gold Coast were readmitted in 2007.
From SMH

Just aslong as Melbourne get 2 away games in a row when the comm games are because if they give a home game, I belive not one person is allowed to unless you have a comm games pass for that day or have passes for the two weeks

NPK

Bench
chemicalstorm said:
Just aslong as Melbourne get 2 away games in a row when the comm games are because if they give a home game, I belive not one person is allowed to unless you have a comm games pass for that day or have passes for the two weeks

I read that 3 times and still can't quite figure out what you mean :?

NPK said:
chemicalstorm said:

Thats what I was thinking! :lol:

Striker

Juniors
What I think he is trying to say is. If you are in Melbourne you should be going to the commonwealth games and should only be allowed to go to other sporting events eg melbourne storm matches, if you can prove you have purchased tickets to the commonwealth games.

I disagree though...

nospam49 said:
NPK said:
chemicalstorm said:

THE whole olympic park and MCG area is in Lockdown mode when the comm games are on.

Moggles

Juniors
In the full article Gallop says that he wants to keep the Grandfinal on the October long weekend.

News for Gallop is that Qld, NT, SA, WA, Vic and NZ do not have a long weekend.

Also by making sure they have a sunday night GF they are bowing down to channel nine there too.

Lantana

Juniors
Bowing down to Channel 9 by enjoying the best ratings they have ever had? Which in turn will help drive a better TV deal next time.
I can't understand the arguement;

Either we play the NRL Grand Final in the evening 7pm and the game enjoys MASSIVE ratings which will add weight to the next TV deal which will provide extra money for the game

OR

We play the NRL grand Final in the afternnoon so everybody can have a BBQ.

Things are not ideal and there is no way in hell will evewrybody agree on certain things however a lot of the critical decisions are performed after research and not after 10 seconds reading a post on an internet forum.

In an ideal world you'd have the Grand Final kicking off at 6-6:30pm.

Would would work perfectly for QLD, NZ, the bush, people who want to watch it at home and have a BBQ....people that have work the next day....supporters that want to travel to the club after the match......

My opinion of the Grand Final timing from here:http://nospam49.iirl.net/issues.html

Day Or Night Grand Final?
Personally, I like the night Grand Finals. It gets big ratings which means more people are watching it, however the time slot has its problems when compared to a day time Grand Final.

For instance, because of the one hour time difference, Queensland ends up taking the game an hour later and therefore it finished pretty late on Sunday night for them.

Country fans don't like the night game....Im not sure why, but they don't like it.

In New Zealand and the Pacific, the day Grand Final was on at a great time....almost prime time. At night however because of time differences the Grand Final ends up being played late at night.

I like the night Grand Final, but having said that, it isn't at the ideal time and to be honest, I'd be happy to see it move back to a 3pm kickoff if its the best thing for the game.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think Channel 9's biggest concern - and fair enough - is the staffing problem. How do you get a crew to do a football match when everybody's busy at Commonwealth Games events? The best they might be able to do is hire cut-price hacks, which would mean sub-standard coverage.

Mr Saab

Referee
so the season stops for 2 weeks...its not the end of the fricken world! puleeaasseee.
We go thru almost a 5 month off season, and people are whinging about 2 weeks.
Sure, i dont have any interest in the games, but its a event.

Azkatro said:
I think Channel 9's biggest concern - and fair enough - is the staffing problem. How do you get a crew to do a football match when everybody's busy at Commonwealth Games events? The best they might be able to do is hire cut-price hacks, which would mean sub-standard coverage.

They should have thought about that when they started signing sporting events that are running at the same time.

Charlie Saab, yes its a sporting event, but so is the NRL.

Keep in mind, this isnt the Olympics or a Soccer World Cup where Australia would pay attention to it 24-7. Its just the Comm games. Not many people really care. If it didnt go ahead....would anyone be upset about it?

Mr Saab

Referee
freak

with the games comes ALOT of sponsorship and revenue thru advertising. I wish the games were not in australia, but they are. Its not like this happens every yr.
In 2000 the season started in feb and ended in august. Never happened b4.
In 2005 it might stop for 2 weeks, then it wont happen i imagine for another 20 or 30 yrs.

ngap

Juniors
I don't really think people would have a problem with it stopping. The point is 9 wants to cancel the rounds instead. I see they are also trying to get the AFL to have a night grand final as well.

El Diablo

Post Whore
nospam49 said:
NPK said:
chemicalstorm said:

and he doesn't like Preniers because he think's he can't spell.

At least Preniers makes sense.

Charlie Saab said:
freak

with the games comes ALOT of sponsorship and revenue thru advertising. I wish the games were not in australia, but they are. Its not like this happens every yr.
In 2000 the season started in feb and ended in august. Never happened b4.
In 2005 it might stop for 2 weeks, then it wont happen i imagine for another 20 or 30 yrs.

Great....thats not the NRL problem though.

NPK said:
chemicalstorm said:

I am cracking up that is pure gibberish.