What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Bulldogs to be charged ?

Shifty

Juniors
Crusader, your attitude here is deplorable. You have expressed some very strong views on this subject and have been prepared to suggest that there is obviously some substance to the rape claims. While that may still be the case, you certainly don't have the grounds to be making such a statement.

Either ignore this thread if you're over it, or consider admitting you have been premature in your accusations. I don't have a problem with your attitude to wrong treatment of women, just your insistance that there are clear indications it has happened in this case.

Crusader

Bench
THE chances of rape charges being laid against any Canterbury Bulldogs players appear slim after preliminary advice indicated there was insufficient evidence.

What a surprise :roll:

Shifty

Juniors
The Daily Telegraph understands the DPP's main area of concern is the alleged victim's version of events and whether it would withstand sustained attack under cross-examination.

Some of the woman's claims have been called into question by other independent witnesses, who give contrary versions.

One concern is that she has told police her reason for going to the resort from the Plantation Hotel that morning was to return her friend's wallet.

However her friend's wallet was found at the Plantation Hotel and handed in from there.

Another area of concern is the timing. Some witnesses have reported seeing a woman matching her description at the swimming pool area with one player in the early morning.

She claims she was later attacked by up to six players but doubt has been cast on whether there was time for such an attack between when she was with one player and five more arriving.

It is also understood that the woman has not identified, from police photoboards, all of the six players she claimed raped her.

What a suprise that the Telegraph has reported that charges may not be layed due to insufficient evidence, when it appears to be the credibility of the accusations being called into question.

Crusader

Bench
I have not insisted there is clear evidence of rape Shifty if you check my posts, my opinion is that with or without evidence there was obviously some behaviour that should be addressed.
I have also stated previously that I agree this kind of behaviour is not restricted to one team or one code.

Shifty

Juniors
But they have been accused of rape and you seem to continue to scoff the idea that they could be innocent.

At least one player has disobeyed the code of conduct, but that doesn't justify what the club, the players, the families of the players or the fans have been through. Even if something worse did happen, there doesn't seem to be the grounds for these accusations to have been made public.

Whatever happened let's hope that anyone who acted inappropriately is dealt with.

DJ1

Juniors
1_CRUSADER2 said:
my opinion is that with or without evidence there was obviously some behaviour that should be addressed.

You would be referring to lying, false accusations and media manipulation?

Shifty

Juniors
I have not insisted there is clear evidence of rape Shifty if you check my posts, my opinion is that with or without evidence there was obviously some behaviour that should be addressed.
I have also stated previously that I agree this kind of behaviour is not restricted to one team or one code.
There is some behaviour that should be addressed, both within sporting communities and the broader community, but I don't agree that we can say there obviously was some behaviour, by the players, that needs to addressed in this case.

It may be the case, but we can't say it with any certainty.

wittyfan

Referee
I think the fact that there is no DNA evidence is quite telling. But I think all players AND women should learn something from all of this.

ibeme

First Grade
sullyfan said:
I think the fact that there is no DNA evidence is quite telling. But I think all players AND women should learn something from all of this.

It also supports the players' early claims that were reported that they had no involvment at all, not even consensual involvement. This is something that has been overlooked/contradicted in a lot of reports and peoples minds.

Crusader

Bench
Whatever happened let's hope that anyone who acted inappropriately is dealt with.

Agreed.

No I would be referring to a club culture that condones gang-banging, consensual or not.

Absolutely Sully, it would also be interesting to know whether there was any kind of forensic evidence to suggest ANY kind of sexual activity with any player(s), consensual or not.

But ib then it just comes back to her word against theirs and if she's a groupie type with little common sense up against national icons, who's going to believe her?
It's a vicious circle, if you say nothing happened at all then why hasn't she been charged with defamation?

ibeme

First Grade
1_CRUSADER2 said:
But ib then it just comes back to her word against theirs and if she's a groupie type with little common sense up against national icons, who's going to believe her?

The players denied any involvement from the outset, and during their initial police interviews, according to reports. That includes consensual involvement, yet they all volunteered DNA tests. I asked the question at the time, why would they deny any involvement, if they weren't confident that dna tests would back them up. It'd be immediately incriminating if their dna was present after denying they were there.

These recent reports suggest that the dna tests support their claims.

Reported witness statements reject her version of events.

It does appear to be her word against theirs on the basis of these points, but it could be argued that the reported evidence favours the players' version of events.

Crusader

Bench
Fair enough but as I said why hasn't she been charged? I'm damn sure if I was innocent and someone was trying to put a slur on my character I'd be going after them big time. Someone has to be covering up something, it just doesn't gel.

RB30DETT

Juniors
1_CRUSADER2 said:

Agreed.

No I would be referring to a club culture that condones gang-banging, consensual or not.

No, you would be refering to a newspaper article which was given to the journalist by a disgruntled former player who was SACKED by the club due to his many run ins with the police.

[furrycat]

Coach
1_CRUSADER2 said:
Fair enough but as I said why hasn't she been charged? I'm damn sure if I was innocent and someone was trying to put a slur on my character I'd be going after them big time. Someone has to be covering up something, it just doesn't gel.

And what would you charge the alledged victim with? Suspicion of purgery? Nothing has been proven at this time by anyone. When and If the Bulldogs players are deemed to be innocent under the eyes of the law, The Bulldogs do not have a case to pursue a case against the female as they do not have sufficient evidence that this was a "smear" campaign against them.

It seems the clubs code of conduct was broken and if it wasn't the mess would have had a chance to start in the 1st place.
Someone brought a female back to the hotel, that is against club cosde of conduct someone will get thier butt kicked big time.

MadDogMason

Juniors
Should no by tommorow if there will be charges or not. It's looking good at the moment i prey to god that it stays that way :shock:

Crusader

Bench
No, you would be refering to a newspaper article which was given to the journalist by a disgruntled former player who was SACKED by the club due to his many run ins with the police...

That may be so in this instance but what world are you living in Dett? This is something that goes on in sport period :roll:
Where do you think the expression 'What goes on tour, stays on tour' comes from?

And what would you charge the alledged victim with?

Cat imo it is defamation of character but I don't know, I'm not a lawyer. Jeez you guys, talk about denial! I'm prepared to accept that the chick may be lying, can't you guys accept that someone is likely guilty of misconduct?

Even if no charges are laid, she can still go the civil route and sue for damages. The burden of proof is a lot less onerous there. This thing is far from over.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Eskimo Sharkie said:
Even if no charges are laid, she can still go the civil route and sue for damages. The burden of proof is a lot less onerous there. This thing is far from over.

You numbat, have you been reading the papers lately, it seems that nothing of that sort happened to start with, with 2 witnesses, her offer to the club to take a payout "To make it go away" and the like, it'd seem that the only thing that is left for her now is to go to Womans Day or something of that ilk and sell her story there.

Latest posts