What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No haka disrespect, just joking- Willie Mason

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Yeah while I think Webb should be the last naturalised kiwi selected, why would he want to play for australia? considering Australia awful treatment of Indigenous Peoples and continued institutionalized racism.
While NZ history hasnt been much better at least there is recognition of the fact.

I dont kare if they continue to disrespect the haka, but the rest of the aussies will be to scard after seeing what happened to Big chin Mason after he disrespecting him.
Though if it was anyone other than mason then I would actually care.

Maybe you guys should sing "Waltzing Matilda" or whateve its called. Im sure that will resonate with skippys like Mason, Hunt and now Kaufusi

Dajoh

Juniors
join the bandwagon said:
Ok.. Mason said this: I was actually standing next to Justin Hodges during the haka and I said to him, "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed".

But heres a video of what happened. He is not standing next to Hodges, he is standing next to Thurston and Ryan. And the second thing, look at what hes saying. Does it look like he is saying "isn't he an aboriginie". I can clearly seeing mouth the word "merkin".

I liked what Willie did but now making up bs? This I dont like.
Heres a video of the haka and willie swearing from the other night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Ks7OXRL4
Willie Mason can make all the excuses in the world for his so called comments on the night, the camera doesn't lie. What happens when you disrespect the haka Willie, it comes back on ya.... As for the cheap shot you claim, you got from Kidwell, just go back to some of your games, how many times have you done that, come on don't talk teka (lies).
As for showing respect for the haka, he doesn't know what that is. It is a tradition and culture that our team, countrymen are very proud of. Why don't the Aussies come up with something similar, you have an indigenous people in this country, and in the team, why not show your own countrymen the respect and learn a traditional cultural opening for your games. Oh......that's right, Aussies don't respect their own indigenous people, or their culture, very sad. So.....don't bag someone elses culture, learn your own, you have one, then bag that.

Dajoh

Juniors
dnn said:
Kiaora
Enjoying the rivalries of this series very much!
Yes the Kiwi team is comprised of many ethnicities, but should be no excuse to discontinue the culture of the land. The Haka will stay and anyone representing NZ is embraced and most welcome to perform it....

From NZ Herald today:

Mason:
He later explained it was a joke to lessen the impact of the Kiwis' pre-match challenge, and that he was making fun of Kiwis fullback Brent Webb performing the haka when he had Aboriginal ancestry.

Webb laughed off Mason's words today, saying his family were in fact Torres Strait Islanders (in Queensland), and he hadn't even noticed Mason swearing at him during the haka.

"He said Brent was Aboriginal, he got that one wrong as well," McClennan said.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10406175

_
Go Webby, you are awesome doing the haka, every kiwi should be proud to have you perform the haka with the rest of the team. It doesn't matter what the players background, if they are representing our country, they are embraced by our country, kia kaha.

Dajoh

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
The Kiwis go on about this Haka being so sacred, yet there is an Aboriginal performing it...go figure.

It shows kiwis embrace all, unlike ozzies, only embrace their convict background.....go figure that.

kay

Juniors
I watched the game over again, though he isn't standing next to justin hodges during the haka I did take note of what he said, trying my best to lipread, it isn't word for word but afterwards when the teams go into position for the kickoff they show a replay of Manu Vatuvei and then of Willie going off and you can clearly see him say Aboriginal. though webb has come back and said "I'm not Aboriginal, I'm Torres Strait Islander",http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=news&id=89819, what happened? i thought he was a kiwi

One thing is about the hit was that it wasn't because of him mouthing off. Get somebody to stand 30m away and lip sink, and see if you can make out what they are saying.

Gibbo

Juniors
http://svc002.wic111cx.server-web.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/3406/Default.aspx

Willie's antics exaggerated: haka coach
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:20 PM

The man charged with teaching the New Zealand rugby league team the haka has labelled Willie Mason's antics as nothing more than a "storm in a tea cup".

Kangaroos prop Mason was accused of disrespecting the haka after mouthing obscenities during the pre-game ritual in last weekend's 30-18 victory over the Kiwis.

Bailey Mackey, who spent a day teaching the Kiwis the cultural significance of the haka in the lead-up to the match, said all combatants had the right to challenge the war cry in their own way.

"Ka Mate - the particular haka that the Kiwis do and the All Blacks often perform, is as much about individual expression as collective unity," Mackey said.

"At the end of the day, how people react to it is up to them, it's under the same accord of individual expression people do the haka under.

"Having met Willie a couple of times, I don't think it was blatantly disrespectful, I think it's a storm in a tea cup.

"Willie chose to confront the haka in his own manner."

New Zealand enforcer David Kidwell denied his bone-jarring shoulder charge on Mason during last weekend's spiteful Test was retaliation for swearing during the haka, but said his actions were disrespectful - a claim vehemently rejected by Mason.

While not condoning Mason's swearing, Mackey believed the supposed blood between the teams was overstated.

"The boys enjoy Willie almost as much as Willie enjoys himself," he said.

"I've met Willie a couple of times and he gets on with the Kiwi blokes and I'm sure he and Kiddy are a lot closer than people will want to admit.

"Willie is a high-profile player who is entitled to his opinion.

"When you're like Willie and you stick your head up above the rest of the pack and say what you think, you're always going to cop some criticism, whether it be from the media or out on the field."

However, the former East Coast rugby representative couldn't resist a dig at the outspoken prop.

"What's ironic is that Willie Mason, who is at the forefront of all of this, said he wouldn't have minded playing for the All Blacks," he said of the Auckland-born forward.

Mason claimed his spray was directed at Torres Strait Islander-born fullback Brent Webb because he was not born in New Zealand. However Mackey said birthplace was irrelevant.

"As New Zealanders, whether you are born here or not, when you put on the black jersey you become part of the brotherhood," he said.

"When you make the decision you want to represent New Zealand, the haka is intertwined with that.

"It's an honour, it's a privilege and four million proud New Zealanders here are right behind you.

"If you look at the All Blacks, they have got a couple of guys from South Africa, a couple of Aussies.

"If that was the case, Willie Mason should not be singing the (Australian) national anthem."

Mackey, the head of sport for Maori Television, ruled out the Kiwis performing the infamous throat-slitting version of the haka against the Kangaroos in Melbourne on Saturday night.

"That haka is particular to the All Blacks, it's designed for them," he said.

Source: AAP
Views: 958

Advertise on NRL.COM | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Join Now | Login | © NRL 2006 | © NRLStats |

Latest posts