What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No haka disrespect, just joking- Willie Mason

No haka disrespect, just joking

By Willie Mason
Australia star
October 16, 2006
I SUPPOSE everyone wants to know why I swore during the haka before Saturday's Test match in Auckland. I'll tell you why and it has nothing to do with disrespecting New Zealand.

I was actually standing next to Justin Hodges during the haka and I said to him, "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed".

It was just funny seeing an Aborigine trying to lead the haka. I think he might have been making the words up. We were just having a joke around together to take the seriousness off the whole thing and use it to pump our boys up.
I certainly wasn't disrespecting the haka or the Maori culture because I think it's one of the highlights of both international rugby league and rugby union matches. I look forward to the Kiwis doing the haka.
It's something that they get really pumped up and emotional on and they really get fired up on it.
It makes us get pumped up as well.
But seriously, what do they expect us to do? Bloody crawl into a hole while they're doing it? We've got to do something. That's why we all stood there to show them how united and tight that we are as a team.
Once again it was just beautiful timing from the television cameras to shoot right on my mouth while I was saying it. I apologise for swearing but it was just a bit of a joke to take the emotion out of how intense they were in the haka.
As for David Kidwell's cheap shot on me, I expect nothing less from him. I didn't even see the bloke coming. I remember running at him a few times but I don't think he hit me as hard as that because they were front on.
The only way he seems to put a good shot on players is if he blindsides people. If he wants to play those games, I don't mind. The thing is, I don't really get a chance to tackle him because he doesn't run in the middle that much.
He usually runs at Darren Lockyer or one of our centres. If he wants to play that way, I might have to ask coach Ricky Stuart to play me in the centres as well.
I'd love to get square with him in the next Test in Melbourne on Saturday night but I'm not going to go out of my way to give a penalty away or do a cheap shot or hurt the bloke intentionally. But I'll certainly be looking for him.
I should be fine to play, despite the nasty bruise under my right eye and concerns over a fractured cheekbone. I'm not looking too good but I'm going to get scans on it today. It's a little bit sore but it looks worse than it is. Our team doctor checked it and pressed all the right places and there didn't seem to be too much pain. It should be all clear and, even if there is a little fracture, that's not going to stop me from playing. It's not going to kill me.
It was a pretty fiery Test and I wasn't impressed by the Kiwis pushing blokes when they are already over the touchline. They're already out, there's no need to push them, it's just being stupid.
If a player goes over and hits a spectator or cuts his knee or something like that, it's stupid. They need to cut that out.
The Kiwis obviously thought we had a young team they could push around but I think this Australian side is probably one of the most balanced that I've played in with. It has youth and experience.
There's has been a changing of the guard, I suppose. We were going through the list the other day with Danny Buderus, Anthony Minichiello, Craig Fitzgibbon, Andrew Johns, Ben Kennedy, and Matt Cooper missing.
There are about 10 blokes who have toured in the past two or three years who are not playing with us at the moment.
We have had to gel really quickly and I think Ricky has done a great job getting us together. We had a really intense week last week but the sessions weren't that long. It was bang, bang and we were finished.
As for getting together off the field I think we had just one beer, because we were bonding in different ways with some of our training and activities out of football.
In previous camps it takes a while to get to know everyone but all the young guys such as Greg Inglis, Sam Thaiday, Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges get along well with everyone. It's surprising how quickly we have gelled and how tight we are as a group.
Taking all the drama out of the contest, it was a great game and a great win by us. It was everything a Test match should be - from what I can remember anyway. I watched it again yesterday morning because I can hardly remember the game.
Our boys played really well, there wasn't a bad player on the field. We showed a lot of character, especially coming back after they scored the opening try early in the match.
We didn't get rattled and we were not intimidated by them. We just stuck to our game plan and we knew that at the back end of each half the game would open up. That was Ricky's plan and it worked.
And we know as a forward pack we just have to win the ruck and go forward and the backline will take care of itself. They're in a league of their own. As was shown on Saturday night by Mark Gasnier, Inglis, Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston, they can turn something out of nothing. They're unbelievable.

What's even better for us is this was our first hitout and we'll only get better as the tournament progresses.

As a team, we've got a lot of pride and Ricky has been constantly talking about about putting Australia back on top and suggesting when you get that Australian jersey you make it the pinnacle of your career instead of State of Origin and all that kind of stuff.

He really wants us to kick on and we've got the opportunity now to dominate the Tri-Nations leading into the World Cup in 2008. Because at the moment New Zealand is still No.1 because of its Tri-Nations win last year.

We know it won't be a cakewalk. The Kiwis will get better because they'll get a few guys back from England. They're always strong and they're always physical so we've got to watch them.

And they taught us a lesson last year in intensity and how much pride they have in their country and their jersey. I think we've taken a leaf out of their book and are trying to do the same thing this year.

Bearing that in mind, we know things will not get any easier for us next week.

The Kiwis will definitely be looking for revenge and that's why it's such a good feeling winning in New Zealand because their home crowd is such a big advantage for them.

To beat them on their home turf is something we haven't done for a quite a while and we'll take a lot of confidence from that.

It will be good having a home game next week and, hopefully, the Melbourne people will come out to support us.

It's a very sporting town, which was shown this season when they turned out in droves to watch the State of Origin decider. Hopefully, with the AFL finished, they'll come out again to get behind us.

As for the Kiwi threats of retribution next week if I swear during the haka again, I've got a simple solution: put Brent Webb up the back where I can't see him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20586590-23214,00.html
Ok.. Mason said this: I was actually standing next to Justin Hodges during the haka and I said to him, "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed".

But heres a video of what happened. He is not standing next to Hodges, he is standing next to Thurston and Ryan. And the second thing, look at what hes saying. Does it look like he is saying "isn't he an aboriginie". I can clearly seeing mouth the word "merkin".

I liked what Willie did but now making up bs? This I dont like.
Heres a video of the haka and willie swearing from the other night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Ks7OXRL4

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I didn't see the word merkin. I saw "Wankers, f**k off".

Poor guy has been caught and isn't able to backpedal at all. And LOL at him claiming Kidwell hit him with a cheap shot. Baby.

Hellsy

Immortal
The problem with lip-reading is that people have differing ideas of what was said.... so many words in the English language look similar, if not the same, when you are lip-reading.

This is going to be a firey Tri-Nations!!!!!!!!!!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't know who's more petulent about it, the kiwis or the media, who ever it is should get a life and get on with it...Willie farts and gets front page I think it's more an obsession on him than anything else.

strider

Post Whore
Frankly I don't give a crap what swear words Mason said - isn't he supposed to be fired up for a tough game of footy? I don't give a crap if he says the C or F words in response to the hakka

... AND why is it considered offensive if he does? isn't the hakka some type of war dance supposed to put fear into the opponents???? .... is it expected those on the receiving end of the hakka should all stand there and smile politely while their opposition try and "put fear" into them? .... give me a f'n break!

... NOW, the talk about Kidwell's shot being cheap? ... WTF? ... he hit Mason from the front (they turned their bodies a little on impact) in pretty much a 1-on-1 hit - it was a corker of a hit! - where does cheapness come into it? .... they are saying Kidwell runs out wide at little guys - well isn't that a tactic of modern rugby league? - if you wanna get revenge on him then go follow him!

strider

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I don't know who's more petulent about it, the kiwis or the media, who ever it is should get a life and get on with it...Willie farts and gets front page I think it's more an obsession on him than anything else.
exactly ... I don't particularly like mason, but man he gets some sh*t unnecessarily piled on him

Utey

Coach
hahahaha Mason got belted, and his calling it a cheapshot? He copped it sweet and Dave Kidwell wont be backing down next game. This will be one of the best Tri Nations for a long time imo.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm with Strider. Who says that we have to stand there and watch them jump around with their imaginary spears and poking their tongues out. FFS.

Respect ? What sort of respect do they have for their opposition when they dish that crap up ? None obvioulsy. Whats good for the goose etc.

Go for it Willlie. No harm in telling them that your not intimidated by their bravado.

The Colonel

Immortal
Funniest thing I've ever seen. Biggest whinge since Trevor Chappell bowled underarm..... I've seen teams turn their back on the Kiwis doing the haka - if it had have been during the national anthem then I can understand why they are up in arms. If anything it took the Kiwis away from a game plan and had them intent on bashing everyone rather than playing footy. Scoreline in Mason and Australias favour.... bullsh*t excuse though Willie......

The Colonel

Immortal
IanRitchie said:
And LOL at him claiming Kidwell hit him with a cheap shot. Baby.

I think you'll find it was Ricky that called it a cheap shot. Mind you, first time I find myself agreeing with Ricky - Kidwell loves to dis it out but runs the ball up in the centres afraid of reprisal. Hopefully he runs it up the guts this week......

I disagree with you guys....respect peoples cultures and traditions ALL THE TIME...say what you like during the game in the heat of the battle but that was just an insult...he shouldn't even have been speaking during it.

fish eel

Immortal
I'm actually with Belly. Respect your opponents and their culture.

Having said that, this is the mother of all beat ups. Next one is at Melbourne, right? Probably explains it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Belly in Brisvegas said:
I disagree with you guys....respect peoples cultures and traditions ALL THE TIME...say what you like during the game in the heat of the battle but that was just an insult...he shouldn't even have been speaking during it.

mate it was war dance...they do the haka we replied with a big "f**k you"...it was f**ken great theatre.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
mate it was war dance...they do the haka we replied with a big "f**k you"...it was f**ken great theatre.

Personally I think standing there and swearing like Mason did is just plain juvenile and stupid.

The Colonel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:

It is a war dance performed at the start of the game designed to promote fear in the hearts of their opponents. Ever seen the Tall Blacks do it in the basketball? Or their swimmers do it at the Commonwaelth Games. Funny sh*t IMO - tall skinny white guys doing the haka - its a Maori traditional war dance. The basic part of the story is that they are going to kill them and eat them when they are done.

It isn't the national anthem Belly and I would have been more upset if he was swearing and carrying on during the singing of the Kiwi national anthem. I've seen the Wallabies training during the haka, turning their backs on the Kiwis, I've even seen them form a circle and cuddle each other. They are trying to put them off their game for the same reason as the Kiwis use the haka.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Personally I think standing there and swearing like Mason did is just plain juvenile and stupid.

well maybe you should see their latest version of the Haka performed by the All Blacks this year...where they gave them the "throat cutting" gesture to them..I actually thought that was pretty cool and the ARU had a little cry over it.

fairdinkum, they're not playing marbles out there.

eelavation said:

Sorry Eela I just don't see that mate....to me great theatre would have been to see him stand there arm in arm with his other 16 teammates absorbing the challenge rather than hurling insults.

The Colonel said:
It is a war dance performed at the start of the game designed to promote fear in the hearts of their opponents. Ever seen the Tall Blacks do it in the basketball? Or their swimmers do it at the Commonwaelth Games. Funny sh*t IMO - tall skinny white guys doing the haka - its a Maori traditional war dance. The basic part of the story is that they are going to kill them and eat them when they are done.

It isn't the national anthem Belly and I would have been more upset if he was swearing and carrying on during the singing of the Kiwi national anthem. I've seen the Wallabies training during the haka, turning their backs on the Kiwis, I've even seen them form a circle and cuddle each other. They are trying to put them off their game for the same reason as the Kiwis use the haka.

So Colonel...you invite me over to your place for dinner. I accept and am sitting at the table when you put the gravy on the plate before the meat because it is what your family have done for years...and their family before that and their family before that.

I dismiss it as rubbish and tell you to f**k off. I have not respected your familys' tradition inside your house.

I don't think I would be sitting at your table for long. Do you agree?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Sorry Eela I just don't see that mate....to me great theatre would have been to see him stand there arm in arm with his other 16 teammates absorbing the challenge rather than hurling insults.

I don't see it that way and I really think it made for great theatre and equaly a great game.