What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No haka disrespect, just joking- Willie Mason

The Colonel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
So Colonel...you invite me over to your place for dinner. I accept and am sitting at the table when you put the gravy on the plate before the meat because it is what your family have done for years...and their family before that and their family before that.

I dismiss it as rubbish and tell you to f**k off. I have not respected your familys' tradition inside your house.

I don't think I would be sitting at your table for long. Do you agree?

:lol: Point is Belly the haka is not the Kiwi national anthem. If I was saying grace and you disrespected that I'd boot you out the door. If you laughed at me for putting gravy on the plate before my meat I'd probably laugh along with you. If he had of carried on the way he did during the national anthem of NZ then by all means jump up and down.

The haka is now just like Waltzing Matilda or Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi. Overdone. Did you watch them at the Commonwealth Games? Everytime the placed in an event they were up doing it. At the end of the day the haka is now an overused piece of theathre that doesn't hold the same meaning it used to.

I think the whole carry on is a joke. If it is such a thing of respect why then are they allowing Brent Webb to do it?

strider

Post Whore
Belly in Brisvegas said:
So Colonel...you invite me over to your place for dinner. I accept and am sitting at the table when you put the gravy on the plate before the meat because it is what your family have done for years...and their family before that and their family before that.

I dismiss it as rubbish and tell you to f**k off. I have not respected your familys' tradition inside your house.

I don't think I would be sitting at your table for long. Do you agree?
wtf drugs r u on today belly? .... serving dinner = haka???? huh?

haka = war dance = we are planning on belting the sh*t out of you
dinner = happy happy joy joy

nöyd

Staff member
As said by "Kurt Angle" in the NRL forum:

As far as 'dissing NZ heritage' when he told them to f*ck off during the haka, big deal.. the haka is now pretty much wank.. kiwis will do it for someone opening an envelope.

Enough said. :cool:

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon they should do it in english so we can all understand it. It comes across pretty lame that way ! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka_of_the_All_Blacks

Slap the hands against the thighs!
Puff out the chest!
Bend the knees!
Let the hip follow!
Stamp the feet as hard as you can!

’Tis death, ‘tis death (or: I may die)
’Tis life, ‘tis life (or: I may live)
’Tis death, ‘tis death
’Tis life, ‘tis life
This the hairy man that stands here...
…who brought the sun and caused it to shine
A step upward, another step upward
A step upward, another step upward
The sun shines!

Gronk

Staff member

Quote:
As far as 'dissing NZ heritage' when he told them to f*ck off during the haka, big deal.. the haka is now pretty much wank.. kiwis will do it for someone opening an envelope.

Enough said.

Wasn't it the NZ swimming team that were doing the Haka in celebration of thier bronze medal win at the Comm Games ? :roll:

The Colonel

Immortal
nöyd said:

Enough said. :cool:

Pretty much sums it up. Watching skinny white guys at the Commonwealth Games trying to look mean and menacing when they performed it for some nuffy winning a bronze medal was laughable at the extreme.

strider said:
wtf drugs r u on today belly? .... serving dinner = haka???? huh?

haka = war dance = we are planning on belting the sh*t out of you
dinner = happy happy joy joy

I am just using an analogy about respect Strides...nothing more nothing less.

nöyd

Staff member
Even the white guys in the All Blacks know to stand up the back.

The sight of an angry Andrew Mehrtens would have sent shockwaves of fear through any opposing team.

150px-Image-Andrew_mehrtens.jpg

:shock:

strider

Post Whore
I have no problem with anyone performing it (menacing maoris, skinny white guys, etc) - if its part of their nation's traditions then fine.

BUT its a frickin war dance meant to inspire fear cos you are planning to hurt others - don't expect your opponents to smile nicely and politely clap you at the end.

The Colonel said:
Pretty much sums it up. Watching skinny white guys at the Commonwealth Games trying to look mean and menacing when they performed it for some nuffy winning a bronze medal was laughable at the extreme.

That had probably taken it too far as it was always intended "before" the challenge.

I still think it has a place and we should respect that...national anthem or not it is part of their heritage and should be observed as such.

I am biased insofar that my wife is of Fijian heritage and they take that side of their culture very seriously. Apaert from Sam Scott-Young in the rugby all those years ago and Mason on Saturday night no other Australian opponent has had trouble providing that same courtesy.

The Colonel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
You provided a better one about grace...the argument doesn't change however and you answered it perfectly.

Sorry Belly but I'd consider grace alongside the national anthem before I'd consider it with the haka.

strider

Post Whore
so what did those on the receiving end of a haka traditionally do? (seriously - just wondering if there is traditional protocol in it)

The Colonel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
That had probably taken it too far as it was always intended "before" the challenge.

I still think it has a place and we should respect that...national anthem or not it is part of their heritage and should be observed as such.

I am biased insofar that my wife is of Fijian heritage and they take that side of their culture very seriously. Apaert from Sam Scott-Young in the rugby all those years ago and Mason on Saturday night no other Australian opponent has had trouble providing that same courtesy.

Still I think it is far too overused. I respect the nations that use it in its intended meaning but I think the national anthem carries a lot more respect for a country than some war dance. It is a Maori tradition IMO not a New Zealand one.

manny05

Juniors
I am a New Zealander and I thought Willie sure had some balls to do what he did. But in saying that it was great, the Kiwis cant do a threatening war dance and expect opposing teams to stand there like pansies. Good on him for giving something back!

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
well maybe you should see their latest version of the Haka performed by the All Blacks this year...where they gave them the "throat cutting" gesture to them..I actually thought that was pretty cool and the ARU had a little cry over it.

fairdinkum, they're not playing marbles out there.

comparing a haka to willie's great use of the english language?

strider

Post Whore
manny05 said:
I am a New Zealander and I thought Willie sure had some balls to do what he did. But in saying that it was great, the Kiwis cant do a threatening war dance and expect opposing teams to stand there like pansies. Good on him for giving something back!
exactly my thoughts (altho I'd be perfectly happy for willie to just shut his big trap sometimes too :lol:)

Stagger eel

Staff member
I actually spoke to a Maori who thought what Willie did was great and added something to it..I asked him, don't you think it was disrespectful? and he said why????...the kiwis were there indicating their intention to go to war with them and the Aussies response was yeah!! we're up for it..

If a Scotsman greets you with a Glasgow kiss are you just going to shake his hand in response???

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
comparing a haka to willie's great use of the english language?

don't you think Willie had a point???...what's an Aboriginal doing the Haka for? it's a perfectly reasonable question.