What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No haka disrespect, just joking- Willie Mason

manny05 said:
I am a New Zealander and I thought Willie sure had some balls to do what he did. But in saying that it was great, the Kiwis cant do a threatening war dance and expect opposing teams to stand there like pansies. Good on him for giving something back!

I accept that manny but unfortunately you are only one of millions. All of the kiwis (and other polynesians) I know don't see it like you.

Besides, my point has always been of not backing down when the haka is performed. It is also not standing their like a pansy but it sure as hell is not about swearing during it.

manny05

Juniors
Belly in Brisvegas said:
I accept that manny but unfortunately you are only one of millions. All of the kiwis (and other polynesians) I know don't see it like you.

Besides, my point has always been of not backing down when the haka is performed. It is also not standing their like a pansy but it sure as hell is not about swearing during it.

I understand that some Kiwis will be offended by it. But Willie wasnt racist in anyway. There is no law against what he did. Its a big fuss over a minor thing and in the end he got smashed by Kidwell, so he payed the price for opening his big gob! And as for cultural insensitivity, the haka has been overused and is now losing a lot of its credibility. People need to take what he said with a grain of salt and move on!

Angry_eel

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Pretty much sums it up. Watching skinny white guys at the Commonwealth Games trying to look mean and menacing when they performed it for some nuffy winning a bronze medal was laughable at the extreme.
But the first All blacks team that adopted the haka were all white guys weren't they?

Bazal

Post Whore
It wasn't disrespectful, the Haka is a challenge, it's akin to a slap in the face with a glove in the days of old England. Mason let them know we were up for it. Maybe his language was a bit colourful, but this is footy not tiddlywinks.

The Haka is a traditional war dance, a challenge. Do they expect opposition sides to just stand there like pansies and take it in? bullsh*t IMO, the Kiwis are just bitching because someone had the "audacity" not to be intimidated....they should shut up and get on with the series, as should Mason...

fish eel

Immortal
I think their cricket side should do the haka.

I'd love to see Daniel Vettori give it a go!

Stagger eel

Staff member
quick question fish...just on the subject of being disrespectful, why don't you think that Margaret Whitlam is being disrespectful to Janet Howard when she bagged her off as being usless...sure it was funny at the time but in the fairdinkum department it was shown up that her comments were ill infomed and out of touch with reality.

in saying all that I really don't think Willie meant any harm and if anything added a great deal of spice to the contest.

Bazal

Post Whore
fish eel said:

I'd love to see Daniel Vettori give it a go!

LOL! I can just see it now, Shane Bond and Stephen Fleming leading the Haka...that's sure to make the oppositon tremble...:lol:

Gronk

Staff member
fish eel said:

That would be interesting considering that the Aussie Cricket team are the kings of the sledge. Willie has got nothing on them. ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Bazal said:
LOL! I can just see it now, Shane Bond and Stephen Fleming leading the Haka...that's sure to make the oppositon tremble...:lol:

haka.jpg

..... in fits of laughter.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
quick question fish...just on the subject of being disrespectful, why don't you think that Margaret Whitlam is being disrespectful to Janet Howard when she bagged her off as being usless...sure it was funny at the time but in the fairdinkum department it was shown up that her comments were ill infomed and out of touch with reality.

TBH, I thought it was funny.

But if you're trying to draw a parrallel between the two incidents, chalks and cheese imo.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
TBH, I thought it was funny.

But if you're trying to draw a parrallel between the two incidents, chalks and cheese imo.

what? insult Australia's first lady as opposed to using a motivational tactic in international sporting event to gain an edge on your opponant.

come on fish...

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
what? insult Australia's first lady as opposed to using a motivational tactic in international sporting event to gain an edge on your opponant.

come on fish...

depends on your perspective.

I could say 'a tongue in cheek dig at someone who was your political opponent versus crudely insulting a nations culture and heritage'.

It's all been done and dusted anyway. I thought Willie was out of line. I also think the whole thing has been massive beat up to try and hype up the next game.

In anycase, poor old Margaret was just trying to sell some books :lol: