What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No, he ain't the world's best forward

nomarg

How can people who have barely seem him play say what he is or isn't and compare him to a guy like Watmough and Hindmarsh and say he isn't as good as them considering they have been watching these players every week for years and they are 6 and 10 years older, Sam Burgess is going to be a more complete player than Watmough could ever dream of being by the end of his contract with the Rabbits.

You sure about that ?

Watmough has some big dreams......

The point I'm making is no one can claim he is the best player in the world yet, as he hasn't played in the best league...

caylo

Bench
IMO Price, Civanoceva, Fui, Hindmarsh and Watmough would be the top 5 forwards in the game. If he can consistantly match what these guys can do then good on him but at 21 he may take a year to adapt to the NRL. There is no chance he will be given as much room in the NRL as he will in ESL. Also week in week out he will be facing big packs. Go through every teams and most have very good starting front rowers and it will be a difficult to perform week in week out

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
You sure about that ?

Watmough has some big dreams......

The point I'm making is no one can claim he is the best player in the world yet, as he hasn't played in the best league...

Thats like saying because the Rhinos play in the Super League despite winning it 3 years in a row they aren't better than NRL teams like Cronulla and the Roosters because they play in the "best league" and we don't, which in my opinion is garbage.

nomarg

Thats like saying because the Rhinos play in the Super League despite winning it 3 years in a row they aren't better than NRL teams like Cronulla and the Roosters because they play in the "best league" and we don't, which in my opinion is garbage.

No its not-

Leeds are clearly better than the Rooster or Sharkies.

Sams manager himself says he wants to test himself at a higher level.

Ellis has said it many times- He wanted to test himself at a higher level.

The NRL is the toughest league week in week out.

The league as a whole is stronger. That is what I am saying....

Liam

Juniors
I rate Waterhouse, Creagh, Taia, Harrison, Gallen, O'Donnell, Thaiday, Johnson, Hindmarsh, Lewis, Ellis, Crocker, Moimoi, Price, Civoniceva, Douglas, Weyman, Blair, Hannant, Snowden, Mateo and Jeremy Smith over Watmough.

KFC

Juniors
If Burgess turns out to be half as good as Morley then Souths fans wont give a tinker's cuss what label people put on him.

nomarg

How has Gareth Ellis done in the NRL?

If he has done well then expect Burgess to cause chaos.

He has been dominate in Defence- but when Sheens bought him he said he was bought for his attacking prowess. He also said this mid season.

played almost every minute of the season and scored 0 tries...botched a couple

But IMO THE best defensive second rower in the comp......parra fans will cry hindmarsh made 59 tackles with a bung shoulder- but Ellis hits people with the fuc.kin kitchen sink...

I wouldn't swap him for any other forward- we dont need attacking players just better D

Eelementary

Post Whore
He has been dominate in Defence- but when Sheens bought him he said he was bought for his attacking prowess. He also said this mid season.

played almost every minute of the season and scored 0 tries...botched a couple

But IMO THE best defensive second rower in the comp......parra fans will cry hindmarsh made 59 tackles with a bung shoulder- but Ellis hits people with the fuc.kin kitchen sink...

I wouldn't swap him for any other forward- we dont need attacking players just better D

Mate, I'd have Ellis in my side any day.

How has Gareth Ellis done in the NRL?

If he has done well then expect Burgess to cause chaos.

He won the Wests Tigers player of the year, although our other big guns (Marshall and Farah) had quiet patches at different stages of the year, whilst Ellis was ultra-consistent. Marshall and Farah at their best probably contributed more to the side. In attack he was strong, despite not getting over the line, and in defence he hit them like a sledgehammer. I thought he'd take a year to get used to the week-in-week-out grind of the NRL, but he hit the ground running. He'll probably be even better next year.

I haven't seen much of Burgess, but if he is a similar player to Ellis in terms of style, he'll go fine in the NRL, Ellis is the blueprint for an NRL back rower, big, mobile and tough.

lucablight

First Grade
Anyone remember when Stuart Fielden was supposedly the worlds best prop? I don't think anyone know how good Burgess is until he plays in the NRL.

Latest posts