What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No matter what happens during the finals....

This Year?

Immortal
I'm happy that the Dragons made it after being written off at the start of the season. Every season seems to be a rollercoaster ride and this one is no exception. It would be great to see them get deep into the finals but if they don't win on Saturday night (unless they have a shocker) I won't be sourly disappointed.

j0nesy

Bench
My sentiments exactly. I'd be willing to bet that the blokes calling us chokers wouldn't have had us in the top 8 at the start of the season.

SET2JT

Juniors
nah mate disagree with u there. this years the 1st year we have been playing as a team and we have given all top 8 sides a run for there money. we dont have 2 many injurys so theres no excuses.we must win or im puting my fist through another hole in the wall.

Cooper-Man

Bench
nah mate disagree with u there. this years the 1st year we have been playing as a team and we have given all top 8 sides a run for there money. we dont have 2 many injurys so theres no excuses.we must win or im puting my fist through another hole in the wall.

Lucky the hole is already in the wall mate or you would really do some damage to your fist. LOL:lol:

BTW just kidding mate.:crazy:

SET2JT

Juniors
yeh 2 many bad years been following the dragons for 20 years now. no more room for new holes in the wall

St_Rasso

Juniors
nah mate disagree with u there. we must win or im puting my fist through another hole in the wall.

I agree with that. If you look at the games that we lost this season, there is a whole handful that we bombed in one way or another. Both Sharkies games, we had in the bag but in the first we let in the miracle try and infamous penalty, and in the second we kicked out on the full twice with a 12-0 lead and they killed us for it. We also bombed what felt like 'a thousand' chances against Parramatta in Round 9! Other games against the Cowboys and Bulldogs also, we were robbed by decisions, and poor play.

I feel as if we really should have finished 3rd with wins in those three matches that I mentioned.

Even though most 'experts' predicted we'd finish 13th, I believe we had the line-up and the potential to finish in the Top 4 easily, and without the regular poor start to the season we could have had that. I am still pleased like everyone else that we made the finals at all, but I can not say that 'i'll be satisfied no matter what happens during the finals'.

We should have almost guaranteed a second chance at the moment, so if we survive to the second week, then I'll be satisfied. From there on in though, I'll be happy with whatever happens and the wall will be safe, providing they show up to play.

Last edited:

St_Rasso

Juniors
In the long distance grand-stand replay, it appeared as if Jason Nightingale knocked the ball on into a Bulldog's player before regathering and passing it out wide to where Cooper crossed. The video referee only looked at that angle and ruled no-try, but once the decision was made, Fox Sports showed a close up angle which showed that there was at least a metre or two between the ball and defender. In other words, it was only a Nightingale juggle, not a knock-on. The decision killed what could have provided momentum, instead we didn't find a way to score until the final ten minutes, where we scored two and bombed another.

Jasdragon

Juniors
I agree with that. If you look at the games that we lost this season, there is a whole handful that we bombed in one way or another. Both Sharkies games, we had in the bag but in the first we let in the miracle try and infamous penalty, and in the second we kicked out on the full twice with a 12-0 lead and they killed us for it. We also bombed what felt like 'a thousand' chances against Parramatta in Round 9! Other games against the Cowboys and Bulldogs also, we were robbed by decisions, and poor play.

I feel as if we really should have finished 3rd with wins in those three matches that I mentioned.

Even though most 'experts' predicted we'd finish 13th, I believe we had the line-up and the potential to finish in the Top 4 easily, and without the regular poor start to the season we could have had that. I am still pleased like everyone else that we made the finals at all, but I can not say that 'i'll be satisfied no matter what happens during the finals'.

We should have almost guaranteed a second chance at the moment, so if we survive to the second week, then I'll be satisfied. From there on in though, I'll be happy with whatever happens and the wall will be safe, providing they show up to play.

Don't for get the game in Canberra we should have won also. ](*,)

SET2JT

Juniors
In the long distance grand-stand replay, it appeared as if Jason Nightingale knocked the ball on into a Bulldog's player before regathering and passing it out wide to where Cooper crossed. The video referee only looked at that angle and ruled no-try, but once the decision was made, Fox Sports showed a close up angle which showed that there was at least a metre or two between the ball and defender. In other words, it was only a Nightingale juggle, not a knock-on. The decision killed what could have provided momentum, instead we didn't find a way to score until the final ten minutes, where we scored two and bombed another.
thanx 4 that i was watching that game at saints leagues club and couldnt hear sh*t. i thought the video ref pulled us up for d foward pass but i new he cant

boxa777

Coach
I'm happy that the Dragons made it after being written off at the start of the season. Every season seems to be a rollercoaster ride and this one is no exception. It would be great to see them get deep into the finals but if they don't win on Saturday night (unless they have a shocker) I won't be sourly disappointed.

yeh we were written off, however the team is defending unlike I have ever seen before and I like the attitude, dont want to see it wasted. very disappointing finishing 7th but its all or nothing now. 4 games to come. Come on boys..

St_Rasso

Juniors
Don't for get the game in Canberra we should have won also. ](*,)

Yeah, exactly! We had a great lead, and Canberra scored a number of easy barge over tries. The same thing happened at Win Stadium against the Raiders. Our defence can't seem to hold their big men out on our line.

Add either of those two games to those three we should have claimed and we would be tied 1st.

Like Boxa777 said, we still played some great football in those 13 wins, and our defence has been phenomenal! It has been a year of hard work, and to fight back and win 11 of our last 16 games after the disastrous start, it would be almost a waste to go out first week of the finals.

Come on Dragons!

Also Jasdragon, the first time I saw the game it was on mute so I wasn't sure what was happening, but when watching the replay, it was really interesting to hear the commentators going crazy that the try was disallowed. Hornby's pass to Reynoldson was definitely forward IMO, but like you said, the video ref can't rule on that, but there was definitely no knock on. If the video ref had got that right, we would be up on the Raiders by 4 points and be in 6th and at Shark Park on Saturday night! Hahaha there goes the famous 'if onlys' again!

dragonfire

Bench
yes and no. i expect the dragons to win every game that they play in no matter what. However if we lose then i will evaluate how we played and whether or not i can be satisfied by their performance, for instance the game against teh storm was something where they could hold their heads high. There have been other games where they have lost and you know it was garbage. Ill wait and see how they do

Southernsaint

Staff member
Defence is paramount in semi finals footy and our has been decent all year. If we can click in attack and try to tighten up the errors then we're in with a shake in this thing.

Until Shane Hayne blows his whistle, that is.

MattYg1

Bench
We've definately laid a great platform for the seasons to come... the old days of the superstar team not living up to their expectations has come to an end... now we have a TEAM... and next year even more so...

Regardless of how you feel about next seasons signings we have really leveled ourselves out and as i said this season set up a platform for someone like Wayne Bennet to go to work on... I see big things in the next 3-5 years...

And that for that foundation that we have built this year i thank Nathan Brown... who is a true clubman - even getting dumped as coach next season he still put in the effort to make us better and these players responde to that...

So thank you boys and thank you Brownie... 09' is the start of something big...

Cagey Mac

Bench
I’ll be glad to farewell Nathan as a coach and trust that he will be honoured as a wonderful clubman who perhaps came to the fore a little too early
Losing big Rylesy is the only big disappointment for me in ‘08
Gaz was pretty to watch at times and is certainly the most gifted player that the club has had for a time.
The others have given us an honest year and worn the red V proudly
JMoz, given Gaz’s shenanigans was an unnecessary loss and I hope that he returns one day
Deano’s return from injury a highlight
Ben Creagh is a pocket Ryles with fewer errors and more speed
Nighty for mine has shown that he will be a true star in the future

Let’s hope that the Dragon’s fire burns bright on Saturday night and that the dream for we mortals lasts another four wins

marty_dragon

Juniors
I’ll be glad to farewell Nathan as a coach and trust that he will be honoured as a wonderful clubman who perhaps came to the fore a little too early
Losing big Rylesy is the only big disappointment for me in ‘08
Gaz was pretty to watch at times and is certainly the most gifted player that the club has had for a time.
The others have given us an honest year and worn the red V proudly
JMoz, given Gaz’s shenanigans was an unnecessary loss and I hope that he returns one day
Deano’s return from injury a highlight
Ben Creagh is a pocket Ryles with fewer errors and more speed
Nighty for mine has shown that he will be a true star in the future

Let’s hope that the Dragon’s fire burns bright on Saturday night and that the dream for we mortals lasts another four wins

agree 1000% with what you have said , but i would also like to say that im dirty we are losing lagi setu!

yeh 2 many bad years been following the dragons for 20 years now. no more room for new holes in the wall

I've got 37 Dragon years up this year...

You get used to it after a while. The heart and the nerves take a battering, but you still keep fronting up for more dramas year after year..

It's an addiction, but a healthy one.

And there's no cure!

Latest posts